Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Again just my opinion but why should the players do Horses job. I'd like to think Mills is determined to get us out of this
I wouldn't go as far to think he is going out there for shits and giggles, so I wouldn't question his determination to get us out of this. However, as Captain of the club, one of the key leadership qualities you should have is accountability. He should be taking a look at himself and recognising that he is nowhere near contributing to the standards required as an AFL player, let alone a Captain. Anyway, I don't expect him to make this sort of decision based on why he was out in the first place. Granting sole captaincy to Callum Mills was, in my opinion, a horrendous mistake. But I am just a fan obseriving from the outside, who gives a **** what I think.

He looks like someone who is playing his first few games after nearly twelve months out of the game. That's usually done against lesser opposition in the VFL. And there's a reason that is how it usually goes.
Yep, I said it before he came back and I still believe its foolish not to play someone who's been out for that long in the VFL.

I've heard plenty of people say "you don't do that with a club captain". Well, why the hell not?

Surely having them come back in a way that's best for the team just like every other player is expected to sends a better message to the group than what we're seeing at the moment does.

I wouldn't go as far to think he is going out there for shits and giggles, so I wouldn't question his determination to get us out of this. However, as Captain of the club, one of the key leadership qualities you should have is accountability. He should be taking a look at himself and recognising that he is nowhere near contributing to the standards required as an AFL player, let alone a Captain. Anyway, I don't expect him to make this sort of decision based on why he was out in the first place. Granting sole captaincy to Callum Mills was, in my opinion, a horrendous mistake. But I am just a fan obseriving from the outside, who gives a **** what I think.

It's a worthwhile discussion and I think even prior to all this it seemed odd after he got injured, even from an availability point of view we went to solo Mills.

I don't know what the answer is , I can see the well a real leader goes I suck I will play twos, but can also see the case that wow the leader jumped out and left us if he does that.

Go back to page 30ish good reminder of why he is the skipper .

I have calmed down after the loss.

We know what this guy can do, we know he maybe should have played VFL, well for certain should have but yeah.

We also have seen what he can do as a leader and player over his career and he is still in his career peak age.

Just put him in a spot and make it his though, maybe it is half back.

I know people may even want him out as skipper , but I think reading back over things is a good reminder why he is captain.

Redemption time

Go back to page 30ish good reminder of why he is the skipper .

I have calmed down after the loss.

We know what this guy can do, we know he maybe should have played VFL, well for certain should have but yeah.

We also have seen what he can do as a leader and player over his career and he is still in his career peak age.

Just put him in a spot and make it his though, maybe it is half back.

I know people may even want him out as skipper , but I think reading back over things is a good reminder why he is captain.

Redemption time

Yeah that's about the time he had 1 elite season

Been average every other year

Not skipper material

Yeah that's about the time he had 1 elite season

Been average every other year

Not skipper material

🙄

Been Skipper for a few years but ok.

People here can remember Sam Reid as some megastar from a bit of good footy 2 years ago, Parker can fart on the field and it's amazing, but Mills is now a complete dud?

Must need to play a few more games to get that magical love mark

🙄

Been Skipper for a few years but ok.

People here can remember Sam Reid as some megastar from a bit of good footy 2 years ago, Parker can fart on the field and it's amazing, but Mills is now a complete dud?

Must need to play a few more games to get that magical love mark

he was barely skipper, lets be real here - it was rampe and parker doing the heavy lifting

and still are from what we see

always said hes just a B grader and i cant see leadership qualities in him

B grader is not bad

he was barely skipper, lets be real here - it was rampe and parker doing the heavy lifting

B grader is not bad
I've said this a few times now, but it literally doesn't matter what leadership qualities we do or don't see in a player. It only matters what the players and, to a lesser degree, the coaches see in a player. They are the ones who the captain's qualities need to resonate with, not us on our couches watching on TV or typing behind our keyboards.

Who are we to say how effectively or ineffectively Mills' leadership resonates with the playing group?

I've said this a few times now, but it literally doesn't matter what leadership qualities we do or don't see in a player. It only matters what the players and, to a lesser degree, the coaches see in a player. They are the ones who the captain's qualities need to resonate with, not us on our couches watching on TV or typing behind our keyboards.

Who are we to say how effectively or ineffectively Mills' leadership resonates with the playing group?

Our previous skippers ooze leadership qualities that you can see

You can resonate with the playing group but if its very effective you cant not see it

Mills is a better coach/leader fron the bench it seems

Our previous skippers ooze leadership qualities that you can see

You can resonate with the playing group but if its very effective you cant not see it

Mills is a better coach/leader fron the bench it seems
I really don't get what our past leaders showed that Mills hasn't previously shown. (Key word there being previously - hard to judge him on current form given I'm not convinced he should be playing at the highest level yet.)

A true leader should’ve stopped the rot last week and rallied / setup the troops before it got beyond a joke. Or perform some inspiring courageous act above and beyond to sway a mindset turnaround, demand the desire and output of the rest of the team etc.
I have no doubt he’s a great leader around the club from all reports, but maybe has lost his way on-field over the long absence period. The team have done amazing things without him and maybe toes are now being trod on or its caused a certain ‘clunkiness’ with the team dynamic?

I don’t know how many chances he’ll get to prove he’s up to seniors level this year, but I hope there is a limit.

Personally, I think on-field performance is critical to effective leadership.

I remember the English cricket team back in the 80’s & 90’s. They used to select “the best captain”, even if he wasn’t among the best XI players.

It was a period of sustained failure for the English cricket team.

If the captain isn’t performing on-field, I don’t believe he’s an effective leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't get what our past leaders showed that Mills hasn't previously shown. (Key word there being previously - hard to judge him on current form given I'm not convinced he should be playing at the highest level yet.)
Sorry Caesar, but the likes of Parker, JPK, Rampe, even Kirk and Goodes back in the day, could lift the team up on their shoulders and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and at least give it a red hot go, but there was absolutely nothing last week.
From the (very) small sample size of Mills being solo captain, it looks to me like he's most like Cotchin as a captain - a good player, a player the others all look up too and can inspire with words, but needs others to do the grunt work. Luckily for Cotchin, he had the players around him willing to do the hard yards, we don't appear to have that at the moment.

A true leader should’ve stopped the rot last week and rallied / setup the troops before it got beyond a joke. Or perform some inspiring courageous act above and beyond to sway a mindset turnaround, demand the desire and output of the rest of the team etc.
I have no doubt he’s a great leader around the club from all reports, but maybe has lost his way on-field over the long absence period. The team have done amazing things without him and maybe toes are now being trod on or its caused a certain ‘clunkiness’ with the team dynamic?

I don’t know how many chances he’ll get to prove he’s up to seniors level this year, but I hope there is a limit.
That was what worried me the most, the lack of competing was so blatant we literally could not play worse - so you you would've expected better output in the following qtrs, even if it was just a slight improvement. I would've excused getting done by 10 goals under those circumstances, but 20? jeezuz.

The problem was blatant at the time, and we didn't improve a single inch from qtr to qtr, so how is a few days of mulling over it going to change anything?

It is concerning that the coach let alone Mills could not get a response from the group.

A jpk nearing his end in his last game tried to stop carlton momentum putting his body on the line and this is not even with jpk as captain

I kinda agree with Jewelsbon about Mills being similar to Cotchin but Cotchin did get his hands dirty and win the extremely hard ball when his team needed it

I suspect Mills is a good leader. He’s certainly a very fine player when in form.

He’s just woefully lacking preparation and the sharpness that comes from playing.

Hard to inspire when you yourself are not performing.

Question is: can we afford to wait for him to re-capture form in the seniors?

Anyways I think Horse is too close to Mills to drop him. First Academy boy, decided to play him in the 2016 GF even though he wasn't fit, been through thick and thin since day 1, AA once upon a time, now captain.

I think even Horse can't believe he is playing like a shell of himself. Thought that things will just happen and the team will become even better. It turns out to be the opposite. No one wants this team to fail, but reality is staring us in the face.

Anyways I think Horse is too close to Mills to drop him. First Academy boy, decided to play him in the 2016 GF even though he wasn't fit, been through thick and thin since day 1, AA once upon a time, now captain.

I think even Horse can't believe he is playing like a shell of himself. Thought that things will just happen and the team will become even better. It turns out to be the opposite. No one wants this team to fail, but reality is staring us in the face.
Played McVeigh as well unfit , both selfish

I suspect Mills is a good leader. He’s certainly a very fine player when in form.

He’s just woefully lacking preparation and the sharpness that comes from playing.

Hard to inspire when you yourself are not performing.

Question is: can we afford to wait for him to re-capture form in the seniors?
I was against him coming straight back in but I think we have to stick with it now. Seems to be lacking touch and polish more than a lack of fitness so may as well just persist. We only have 3 games before finals and we need him playing well by then.

B grader is not bad

You know which Skipper was doing the heavy lifting of the 3?

Grades on players are subjective so yep ok that's where you see him that's fine. But people are hating on the bloke in an OTT manner.

Parker for instance was still there you can lead without being skipper.

Heeney , Hayward aren't these guys leaders too?

Mills has become the main target for the understandable Swans anger. He has been shite , But i think to pretend he suddenly is a shitty leader and player is a bit much.

He is no worse than Rampe or Parker as skipper where did they lead us other than season ending embarrassment as well?

In fairness, I think most of us thought that also. I think we all knew we'd come back to the pack a bit, but no one could have possibly seen or even imagined the drop off the cliff this season has become.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back