Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Can we piss off with these * is going next year and unsigned threads

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year it feels like the same thing. "He can't be best 22, there are others options with much more upside". Someday it will stop, but I do not trust that it will be this year. I hope, but I do not trust.
Refuse to believe in any change until it happens. It's a lot less dissapointing.

This thread is ridiculous. Relative to how most of the good players played, he played well. Players have to come in and take his spot and they haven't. There is an element of him not getting dropped and giving others an opportunity last season. But that argument applies to plenty of other blokes too - e.g., McGovern, Atkins, Douglas, Thommo, Seeds and even Smith.

I don't want him to be best 22 this season either. But I want the reason for that to be that other players have improved and taken his spot. Up until now there are not players that have proven themselves as warranting his spot. There were players playing last night that should be eyeing his spot and none of them owned it. So why not have a thread criticizing them on why they aren't performing indisputably better than Mackay yet.

Perhaps because they're not 160 games in and fully developed footballers. Not really a difficult concept to grasp. So you think 13 touches from a midfielder who's had 85% TOG is playing well? Or did you mean playing well for Mackay, I know his benchmarks is incredibly low.

Refuse to believe in any change until it happens. It's a lot less dissapointing.

Sound advice, but it still leaves me open to disappointment. He was dropped in 2015 and came back, then dropped again in 2016 and came back. It always hurts.

Perhaps because they're not 160 games in and fully developed footballers. Not really a difficult concept to grasp. So you think 13 touches from a midfielder who's had 85% TOG is playing well? Or did you mean playing well for Mackay, I know his benchmarks is incredibly low.

No. I meant that taking stats from this game is pretty irrelevant. I wouldn't hang out any player to dry on that game. So to start a thread to dump on a particular player on the basis of that game is ordinary. As for Mackay, I think he is a pretty basic footballer and if he is still best 22 this season then we wont get far. But when he does something good for the team, I can appreciate it. He is not nearly as terrible as people here say. I just want somebody better in his place. Thats all.

I didn't watch the first 3rd of the match, so I am watching the replay tonight. Between the JLT thread and this one I must have looked at 200 comments on mackay's game. Not one has mentioned the king size knee he got in the back at the start of the game. I'm no great fan, but far out, perhaps if that had happened to you, you might play a bit below yor peak hey?

I didn't watch the first 3rd of the match, so I am watching the replay tonight. Between the JLT thread and this one I must have looked at 200 comments on mackay's game. Not one has mentioned the king size knee he got in the back at the start of the game. I'm no great fan, but far out, perhaps if that had happened to you, you might play a bit below yor peak hey?
He's made a career out of being kneed in the back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was skirting around the contest as freely as ever. Just shit at getting his hands on the pill. You do know that in a preseason game they'd have not taken a risk and he certainly wouldn't gave punched out 85% TOG if he was restricted. But good to see that people remain keen to make up excuses for his shitness.

He's made a career out of being kneed in the back
He got knocked out cold by the football last season too and no one cut him any slack. Tough school around here

Bit like VB against GWS last year. Just nothing from 85% TOG whilst kids do more with less opportunity and get sent back to work on deficiencies.

When a 160 game veteran spends 85% TOG whilst playing midfield/stoppage go get 13 touches then it's time to get the old red pen out and finalise his time as an AFL footballer at our club. Should have happened last year and we'd have been no worse off. Or any other year prior to that. His selection exactly represents the culture that ensured we went nowhere. Seeya Noble, thanks for playing, feel free to take your invaluable IP with you.

Yeah, but Noble could actually become quite valuable to us now that he's moved on. We know that he's a big Mackay fan, so I'd be expecting Brisbane to have a red hot crack at Mackay at the end of this year.

This could be what we finally need to crack the Gibbs deal. Mackay -> Brisbane, ??? -> Carlton, Gibbs -> Adelaide.

*comment may contain traces of nuts and / or sarcasm

Last edited:
Sound advice, but it still leaves me open to disappointment. He was dropped in 2015 and came back, then dropped again in 2016 and came back. It always hurts.
He can't hold milera, galluci, Greenwood, Wigg out the team, they have way more talent than him.
Feel this year will be VB esk

Whilst there are many subtle unrecorded efforts to a player's game that are demanded by the coach and not given weight by fans/bigfooty posters, these are generally not significant enough to cause fans/posters to misread the players' game over a period of time. Most folks can see what impact a player has or doesn't have on the game.
There is nothing magic or mysteriously hidden about the value of Mackay's recent form. He does not impact games as a player of his experience should.
The criticism of Mackay is more a frustration with the Club and selection than him personally. Something needs to happen either by him or to him this season. Oh, And if the team is continually picked on the presumption that there is no one better forcing their way in, then we are in a poor developmental state.

He can't hold milera, galluci, Greenwood, Wigg out the team, they have way more talent than him.
Feel this year will be VB esk
It better be.... I'm sick to death of seeing him pushed so easily off the ball and butchering the ball inside 50 with long ass kicks to the defence when he should lower the eyes, bloody hell all of the girls tackle harder and are more committed to the ball than he ever has been.
One good semi v Collingwood in a final and one decent game against Brisbane 4 years ago does not make a golden ticket yet he has one.

I asked one of the coaches tonight how Mackay keeps getting games.

He does lots of good things you may not notice that don't show up on the stat sheet.

What are they? Why don't they earn him any B&F votes?

We don't notice them either.

Then how do you know he's doing them?

He's played nearly 200 games. You don't play that much footy without learning a thing or two about how to play the game.

Spackler's back. Oh he's back.

Anyone remember a guy called Scott Bamford? He played 59 games according to Wikipedia, before weighing 3.67kg finally cost him an AFL career and he was banished back to North Adelaide.

Anyway, he had silky skills, he never missed a target. And he could move. Without those assets he would've played zero games, because he was easier to push around than Jenny posting about Steven Trigg.

And yeah, this is another "Brett James is better than Richard Douglas" post. Deal with it mofos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Back