Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Still needs to stop with the stop prop and letting the kick get smothered shit.

He needs to take on the game more in that role. Get on the move and don’t stop.
Spot on.
I said the same thing during the game multiple times.
His job is to run, and he can do that well. But it’s either smothered like you said, or going back into traffic when it should be heading to the spread.

Absolutely conned Brady Rawlings for that long term deal. That one’s gonna go well for us…

This bloke is not AFL standard.

Clarko talks about finding guys that can win the big dance in September.

Stephens is a cat who sleeps with the lights on in preseason let alone the actual season.

Stick him in the VFL and only ever use again as an injury call up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely conned Brady Rawlings for that long term deal. That one’s gonna go well for us…
Not only Brady but also Todd Viney as well...

"We've been tracking him for a while and believe he has some great attributes to add to our midfield with more opportunity at AFL level," North footy boss Todd Viney said.
"He's got some great athletic attributes, and we think he’ll complement our group enormously with his footy nous and professionalism."

Just have to write off his contract don’t we?

Let him run around in the VFL for three years. I don’t care about the deal anymore.
It is what is.

If he wants to negotiate a buy out early then that’s fine by me. Go play local level footy with your mates and enjoy being away from the spotlight. No shame in that.

But this shit can’t go on.

He fumbled the handball to Corr that cost us the first goal on the line and then he got in Teakles way to then fumble the 2nd.

It’s not a coincidence that he was involved both times.
He is simply not an AFL level footballer. Enough is enough.

Just have to write off his contract don’t we?

Let him run around in the VFL for three years. I don’t care about the deal anymore.
It is what is.

If he wants to negotiate a buy out early then that’s fine by me. Go play local level footy with your mates and enjoy being away from the spotlight. No shame in that.

But this shit can’t go on.

He fumbled the handball to Corr that cost us the first goal on the line and then he got in Teakles way to then fumble the 2nd.

It’s not a coincidence that he was involved both times.
He is simply not an AFL level footballer. Enough is enough.
I don't think anyone enjoyed the comic-book goal line defending (especially those of us like me that were s******ing at Ben McKay last week), but I don't think you can pin it solely on Stephens.

For the first, Corr had the ball safely in hand, was standing behind the goal and kept his hands outstretched to keep the ball in play - why, we may never know. For the second I thought stephens was more at the drop zone, and it was was Teakle coming at him that fowled it up.

Anyways, two for the blooper reel.

I don't think anyone enjoyed the comic-book goal line defending (especially those of us like me that were s******ing at Ben McKay last week), but I don't think you can pin it solely on Stephens.

For the first, Corr had the ball safely in hand, was standing behind the goal and kept his hands outstretched to keep the ball in play - why, we may never know. For the second I thought stephens was more at the drop zone, and it was was Teakle coming at him that fowled it up.

Anyways, two for the blooper reel.
Sort of highlights the Stephens issue though. He's not a defensive winger because he makes poor decisions and is slow to dispose of the ball but he's also not an offensive winger because his kicking isn't elite and he doesn't score.

On that last point, he scored for the club for the first time yesterday, a behind. Thirteen games for 0.1. That might be close to a record for a player of his age, playing outside defence.

Makes Cale Morton look like Glen Archer.

Sort of highlights the Stephens issue though. He's not a defensive winger because he makes poor decisions and is slow to dispose of the ball but he's also not an offensive winger because his kicking isn't elite and he doesn't score.

On that last point, he scored for the club for the first time yesterday, a behind. Thirteen games for 0.1. That might be close to a record for a player of his age, playing outside defence.
don't get me wrong, I agree the boy has plenty to work on if he's going to be a regular, I just don't think the goal line howlers are all down to him

Not only Brady but also Todd Viney as well...

"We've been tracking him for a while and believe he has some great attributes to add to our midfield with more opportunity at AFL level," North footy boss Todd Viney said.
"He's got some great athletic attributes, and we think he’ll complement our group enormously with his footy nous and professionalism."
Translation - We don't have any players that can run. We need somebody to show them how hard to run in pre-season.
That's my take on it. 4 years was not a great length. Hardemann hopefully goes ahead of him soon and he's depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back