Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Translation - We don't have any players that can run. We need somebody to show them how hard to run in pre-season.
That's my take on it. 4 years was not a great length. Hardemann hopefully goes ahead of him soon and he's depth.

They brought him in because a club everyone respects picked him early. That's absolutely the only reason he's here.

Instead of taking a state league player who can run with pick 873, we paid this fella a shitload and then we'll be caught in a huge sunk cost roundabout for 4 years. Laughable.

They brought him in because a club everyone respects picked him early. That's absolutely the only reason he's here.

Instead of taking a state league player who can run with pick 873, we paid this fella a shitload and then we'll be caught in a huge sunk cost roundabout for 4 years. Laughable.
Laughable Indeed. :stern look

I'm sure bringing in a player from a successful club and culture was part of it and I get what you're saying, but that state league player who can run doesn't necessarily have any idea about being an AFL professional preparing for games and during pre-season.

The Blues and Demons builds added plenty of average squad players from other clubs that had some level of success and some failures. The Swans carried Ryan Clarke on their list for many years and the Blues have Sam Durdin on their list currently who I would view as nothing more than squad players. Maybe Dylan gives us that for another 3 years or maybe he gets moved on and paid out sooner than that. Time will tell I guess.

i backed the club at the time bringing this bloke in despite my reservations.
But nah he’s garbage. 3 years left? Hope it was heavily front loaded and we can just **** him off. What a waste of a spot

i backed the club at the time bringing this bloke in despite my reservations.
But nah he’s garbage. 3 years left? Hope it was heavily front loaded and we can just **** him off. What a waste of a spot
Just like Highlander there can be only one Disco. Dylan Stephens is an immortal Scottish wingman forever bouncing between the AFL and VFL there is only one way to stop him, he must face the murderously brutal barbarian Disco Dew who lusts for the fabled prize of Disco King.

Last edited:
Just like Highlander there can be only one Disco. Dylan Stephens is an immortal Scottish wingman forever bouncing between the AFL and VFL there is only one way to stop him, he must face the murderously brutal barbarian Disco Dew who lusts for the fabled prize of Disco King.
Happy Celebration GIF by OppoSuits

I don't think anyone enjoyed the comic-book goal line defending (especially those of us like me that were s******ing at Ben McKay last week), but I don't think you can pin it solely on Stephens.

For the first, Corr had the ball safely in hand, was standing behind the goal and kept his hands outstretched to keep the ball in play - why, we may never know. For the second I thought stephens was more at the drop zone, and it was was Teakle coming at him that fowled it up.

Anyways, two for the blooper reel.
If he doesn't fumble the handball to Corr then the mistake just doesn't happen.
Corr had his back to open play so as soon as he turned around it was slapped out of his hands and bang. Goal.

The Teakle one is worse because when your ruck is coming in to mark or kill a ball, he could simply say "yours, yours, yours" or even "mine". It just down to basics. But in this case both are equal to blame.

Stephens is a player down on confidence and as a winger, you are going to find yourself deep in defence having to help out the backline more often than not. We need better options.

You can tell he is not comfortable in his game and that he 100% knows he's not up for the contested things.
If he was then these errors wouldn't be happening.

He will be phased out in the coming years so I am not going to sit here and stress about Dylan Stephen's. Just gotta move on.

Last edited:
If he doesn't fumble the handball to Corr then the mistake just doesn't happen.
Corr had his back to open play so as soon as he turned around it was slapped out of his hands and bang. Goal.

The Teakle one is worse because when your ruck is coming in to mark or kill a ball, he could simply say "yours, yours, yours" or even "mine". It just down to basics. But in this case both are equal to blame.

Stephens is a player down on confidence and a as a winger, you are going to find yourself deep in defence having to help out the backline more often than not. We need better options.

You can tell he is not comfortable in his game and that he 100% knows he's not up for the contested things.
If he was then these errors wouldn't be happening.

He will be phased out in the coming years so I am not going to sit here and stress about Dylan Stephen's. Just gotta move on.
we can toss the details around, but I think you're spot on with this point; the boy looks nervous, pretty much the whole time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephens running back with the flight today - more impressive at the ground than on the replay.
Yep at the game he made up a lot of ground to put his body on the line.

Thats the standard. If you are willing to get hurt for the team then you can belong.

Props to Stephens for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back