Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephens appears (on tv) flat-footed & reactive in the vicinity of the ball.

He put his body on the line a couple of times today, including unnecessarily taking out a team mate, so has courage.

Why then does he seem (again, tv viewer) hesitant to attack the ball in dispute?

They are the only type of players we can recruit…
The AFL in a very roundabout way is becoming like most sport leagues around the world….
Small teams will always struggle & big $$$ teams will always find a way to prosper.
No matter how you try to evenise the comp….

I think he has gotten better during the year. Think he has more use than Sleevo
He's coming from a long way back but he has improved over the season and whilst it's a very low bar he brings so much more to the side than Sleevo.

Last edited:
He’s been going in harder the last few games he’s played

Backing him in to come good on that wing next year

There has been clear improvement from some of his moments earlier in the year.

Obviously not the finished product yet and has improvement within him.

long way to go but haven't they all?

It might seem like basics but he:

• Knows when to be the long sweeper off the back of a stoppage in the middle of the ground, and positions himself well in that respect
• Knows when to get back to chop the defence out and has the running capacity to do it
• Knows and has a clear understanding with Scott about how to track from a centre bounce
• Knows if he is the fat side winger to get back to the goal square and fill the hole
• Understands the layers of defending the ball carrier and doesn't get drawn in

He's so far ahead of any of our other wing options in this regard that it's worth persisting to get his confidence up so he can hurt with tackle and the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but he was far from any of our biggest problems today. His contract is probably front loaded, and it’s not like we had anyone else to spend it on.
Really? I thought he was one of our worse performers in a team that lost by over 100 points. The only two that weren’t contributing to the problem today were Xerri and Simpkin (when he wasn’t in the midfield). The rest were very much part of the problem.

Has anyone ever been so scared of being where the ball is? I thought he'd bring something based on his traits and what I saw; a little class, a little pace, but all he's brought is a little diarrhea, and he's spread it with his fingers all over the wing he occupies. It's a miss for Schnoz but I don't think it's a red cross against Schnoz's name. It's the sort of recycled pick-up that comes off semi-frequently. No one knew that Dylan's brain was made of jelly

Has anyone ever been so scared of being where the ball is? I thought he'd bring something based on his traits and what I saw; a little class, a little pace, but all he's brought is a little diarrhea, and he's spread it with his fingers all over the wing he occupies. It's a miss for Schnoz but I don't think it's a red cross against Schnoz's name. It's the sort of recycled pick-up that comes off semi-frequently. No one knew that Dylan's brain was made of jelly

Anyone that watched him at Sydney knew exactly what we were getting

The red ️ is 4 years of this campaigner dipping his toes in the water but never getting wet...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back