AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I really love what Jayden offers down back.

He made a couple of uncharacteristically bad mistakes on Saturday night leaving his opponent (who was by far closest to the Hawthorn goal) free to try and affect 1v1 contests that didn't really need his help. One of them he paid the price the other he got away with. I can only think he did this to help Reid given he's very inexperienced.

A couple of other times there were defensive positional lapses by others that left him trying to guard 2 players where he paid the price.

Overall a really decent performance however and while I like the intent to help a young player, I'd rather he chooses his times better going forward, especially in Reid's case as it looks like he can handle himself well.

I thought he was one of our best all things considering, competed hard and that is all I can ask for of a defender under as much pressure as our backline was.

Buddy (2.4) probably flattered Jayden but he did reasonably well with Franklin not having to many easy marks inside 50 against Lav.

I thought he was one of our best all things considering, competed hard and that is all I can ask for of a defender under as much pressure as our backline was.

Buddy (2.4) probably flattered Jayden but he did reasonably well with Franklin not having to many easy marks inside 50 against Lav.
Been one of our best all year.

Needs another tall back there.
Laverde -> hepps spot
Zerk/cox -> laverdes spot

Worked so much better last week.

I wish BZT did play on Buddy. Just so Buddy could get 35 shots on goal.
Do you think we'd be better placed in Laverde was playing on key position players or mediums?

Do you think we'd be better placed in Laverde was playing on key position players or mediums?

We can have this argument, and I will agree with you, when there is an alternative.

However, my hunch is not that you're coming here because you want to see him on mediums it's because you think he's costing us as a tall. It just isn't. It could in theory, but we can't put a game together to test the theory. And you don't think Stewart can play as a KPD.

We can have this argument, and I will agree with you, when there is an alternative.

However, my hunch is not that you're coming here because you want to see him on mediums it's because you think he's costing us as a tall. It just isn't. It could in theory, but we can't put a game together to test the theory. And you don't think Stewart can play as a KPD.
I think Stewart is okay as a key defender at times, at other times he gets embarrassed (see: the first three games this year). I do however think he's better as a key forward.

However Jayden's struggled to contain several key forwards this year and the one time he didn't have to play on one was his best game of the year and we won :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, the thing to take away from that is that opposition mids are ramming the ball into our backline like Germans on the autobahn and we’re not able to support him.
That is the point.

He isn't bad, he is being left out to dry.

Still can't believe he's playing after all his injuries - let alone playing on the monsters and at such a high standard. One of the highlights of a very ordinary season so far.

I mean, the thing to take away from that is that opposition mids are ramming the ball into our backline like Germans on the autobahn and we’re not able to support him.
Jake Kelly hanging around the top of that graph too, for the same reasons.

CDOOO - contested defence one on ones
CDL - contested defence losses
CDL% - contested defensive loss percentage (CDOOO/CDL)

88DEF5BA-CFD6-44A0-AFC3-BCF9E67D74DB.jpeg

I refuse to hang it on any of our defenders while we continue to play pressure free footy in the forward half and middle of the ground. Our blokes are pretty much cannon fodder week in and week out with zero help . It is a miracle they stop as much footy as they do.

I think he’s now my outright favourite Essendon footballer, regularly gives inches and kilos away but scraps, claws and stupid brave.

Not only that but he’s somehow also developing a very good to elite intercept game while playing on the most dangerous forward every week.

Ripping success story.

I think he’s now my outright favourite Essendon footballer, regularly gives inches and kilos away but scraps, claws and stupid brave.

Not only that but he’s somehow also developing a very good to elite intercept game while playing on the most dangerous forward every week.

Ripping success story.
I agree with this. Loving his effort.
He produced a couple of miracle spoils on Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back