AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

daniher dropping the knees into his rib cage didn’t go unnoticed either.

He also got Daniher with a pretty hard tackle later, and Joe looked a bit ginger after that. Laverde's a bit of a beast, I didn't see that when he played up forward.

He also got Daniher with a pretty hard tackle later, and Joe looked a bit ginger after that. Laverde's a bit of a beast, I didn't see that when he played up forward.
Has completely reinvented himself, I think defence is less running and more wrestling which probably suits his injury history too

He was always a beast but rarely got enough of a run of games to settle.

If you ever see him in person he's a big unit.

Always a beast.

Pound for pound the only guys in the game I'd say are noticeably more powerful would be peak Danger, Fyfe, Stringer and maybe Dusty though Dusty is more bulk and strength than power (the outcome is the same). Laverde's on par with the likes of Petracca, De Goey and (peak) Yeo for strength and power.

He bounces off Buddy because he's giving up 10 kgs to a guy that size, who is also a powerhouse.

Always a beast.

Pound for pound the only guys in the game I'd say are noticeably more powerful would be peak Danger, Fyfe, Stringer and maybe Dusty though Dusty is more bulk and strength than power (the outcome is the same). Laverde's on par with the likes of Petracca, De Goey and (peak) Yeo for strength and power.

He bounces off Buddy because he's giving up 10 kgs to a guy that size, who is also a powerhouse.

How do you think he'd go doing the odd tagging roll on a bigger midfielder, the way Ambrose used to do?

How do you think he'd go doing the odd tagging roll on a bigger midfielder, the way Ambrose used to do?

Not so much a hard tag. I dont think that's the best use of his talents but I'd gradually move him to a flank and give him a run in the middle to throw his weight around. At least until the mids can do it themselves.

Not so much a hard tag. I dont think that's the best use of his talents but I'd gradually move him to a flank and give him a run in the middle to throw his weight around. At least until the mids can do it themselves.
Call me ambitious but to my untrained eye, he'd make a good blocking/defensive midfielder. One that doesn't need more than 20 disposals every game, but supports the smaller mids by blocking for them, tackling the bigger mids, winning the ball in congestion and handballing. He has been wrestling with big forwards so I doubt many mids can bring him down very easily. He can also help our midfield take more contested marks (and marks in general) around the ground.

I'd like to see how he does in at least one game. Plenty of dead rubber games to experiment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant picture him as captain.

The role isn't just playing. Putting aside that we have no real insight into his standing internally I dont know that the media and corporate stuff would sit well.

He may have become one of the all important onfield leaders but it might also be finger pointing. He has always done that.

Unpopular opinion but we won't be going anywhere whilst this guy is holding down a key position defence position.

Tried his guts out and competes hard but for us to make inroads out of the doldrums we need to stop being seduced by the improvement of him actually being on the park and realise he is under sized as a key defender, often gets beaten 1:1 and despite all of this, we continue to play him there.

Last night showed once again that he does well battling above his weight division, we really do need to improve on him with an upgrade, I do like Jayden and am impressed with what he has become but having he and Ridley as our KP! & KP2 is a recipe for disaster imho.

Come at me but really wasn't impressed anyways when the 3 years was offered, 2 would have sufficed, but, that's Dodoro being Dodoro.

Unpopular opinion but we won't be going anywhere whilst this guy is holding down a key position defence position.

Tried his guts out and competes hard but for us to make inroads out of the doldrums we need to stop being seduced by the improvement of him actually being on the park and realise he is under sized as a key defender, often gets beaten 1:1 and despite all of this, we continue to play him there.

Last night showed once again that he does well battling above his weight division, we really do need to improve on him with an upgrade, I do like Jayden and am impressed with what he has become but having he and Ridley as our KP! & KP2 is a recipe for disaster imho.

Come at me but really wasn't impressed anyways when the 3 years was offered, 2 would have sufficed, but, that's Dodoro being Dodoro.

I think you're right about us needing to finding another bigger KPD (hopefully Reid) to partner BZT so Laverde doesn't need to play on these types every week, but I think you are being way too harsh on him at the same time as he's done some fantastic jobs and definitely deserved the contract extension.

Very interested to see how he'd go carrying a little less bulk and playing on mediums or even smalls sometimes.

I think you're right about us needing to finding another bigger KPD (hopefully Reid) to partner BZT so Laverde doesn't need to play on these types every week, but I think you are being way too harsh on him at the same time as he's done some fantastic jobs and definitely deserved the contract extension.

Very interested to see how he'd go carrying a little less bulk and playing on mediums or even smalls sometimes.

This is where it would get very interested as I don't think we can play all of KP1, KP2, Ridley AND Laverde in the same team.

This is where it would get very interested as I don't think we can play all of KP1, KP2, Ridley AND Laverde in the same team.
I posted this a while back and it went straight under peoples' skin lol

In a good side he's depth at best, if we're to be a good side we need to get the list to the point that happens

I posted this a while back and it went straight under peoples' skin lol

In a good side he's depth at best, if we're to be a good side we need to get the list to the point that happens
Yes I agree he is probably depth in a good side. The problem is that we aren’t a good side and he has been an improved player for us playing back. I hope he can improve more, just as we need Reid, BZT and Ridley to keep improving.

I think by the end of next year we can only play one of him or Kelly, and that's if we don't see Montgomerie overtake them. Zerk as the main tall, Reid second, 3x Redman/Kelly/Ridley/Montgomerie/Laverde as mediums and 2x McGrath/Hind/D'Ambrosio/Lord as the smalls.

i really hope we get to see how he goes with 2 talls next year.

I think by the end of next year we can only play one of him or Kelly, and that's if we don't see Montgomerie overtake them. Zerk as the main tall, Reid second, 3x Redman/Kelly/Ridley/Montgomerie/Laverde as mediums and 2x McGrath/Hind/D'Ambrosio/Lord as the smalls.

i really hope we get to see how he goes with 2 talls next year.
If Lav gets shunted out of defence I’d be optimistic that with his renewed confidence as a footballer he could still be a handy forward. However, he has shown enough as a defender that he’d, in all likelihood, go to another club and do well there rather than battle on the fringes for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back