AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I think by the end of next year we can only play one of him or Kelly, and that's if we don't see Montgomerie overtake them. Zerk as the main tall, Reid second, 3x Redman/Kelly/Ridley/Montgomerie/Laverde as mediums and 2x McGrath/Hind/D'Ambrosio/Lord as the smalls.

i really hope we get to see how he goes with 2 talls next year.
Cox?

Id like to see that from early on this year but injury to Reid has opened up that as a greater possibility

330923081_724972042566907_1218033182483973017_n.jpg

Surprised he had it 22 times let alone 14 marks.

Goes to show he did a bloody good job to not be noticed as much as the flashy guys like Ridley and Redman. Sure, a lot were uncontested across the backline but worked hard, did what needed to be done and played his role.
Defender getting ball is generally a good start. Means the opposition don't
Next step is using it. Laverde's a pretty good decision maker and solid user.

Was he playing taller than he otherwise would with Zerk out?
Eh, he took Cordy, which he would have with Zerk too so not really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To take a line from ant555 during the week, we need to find out who can play finals level football and Lav is one guy who as good and serviceable as he has been is a position we need to upgrade for us to improve from a (best) 7th position finish to a real top 4 challenge.

I love Laverde's effort and attitude but he's currently the weakest link back there. Often seems he's being required to play taller and bigger than he is. I don't see a place for him in the 22 going forward, except for the immediate future. He's a depth utility who should be in the VFL or trade bait, which is a pity, because I think he has leadership qualities in spades.

I love Laverde's effort and attitude but he's currently the weakest link back there. Often seems he's being required to play taller and bigger than he is. I don't see a place for him in the 22 going forward, except for the immediate future. He's a depth utility who should be in the VFL or trade bait, which is a pity, because I think he has leadership qualities in spades.
I’m a bit torn re Lav…..

He’s plays above his size and gives it everything, every week. Sacrifices his body constantly and then gets up and goes again. Plays like a warrior. Love that about him.

BUT I’m not sure he has another string to his bow. Suspect he would struggle playing on mobile forwards his own size if we ever asked him to do that.

In a perfect world we upgrade but I would only replace him with someone who matches his desire to play for the team and his unconditional effort.

I’m a bit torn re Lav…..

He’s plays above his size and gives it everything, every week. Sacrifices his body constantly and then gets up and goes again. Plays like a warrior. Love that about him.

BUT I’m not sure he has another string to his bow. Suspect he would struggle playing on mobile forwards his own size if we ever asked him to do that.

In a perfect world we upgrade but I would only replace him with someone who matches his desire to play for the team and his unconditional effort.
Yep, agree. It's a matter of who the right replacement is. I want to believe it's Reid or Cox. Do they even ever football though? Someone in the interim...

Edit: maybe Brennan Cox could be convinced. He's ooc at the end of next year.

He's forever tied to Langford in my mind. Similar name, pick 17 & 19. Similar height & weight as medium tall flankers.

Langford always had the footy skills edge while Laverde was the physical specimen.

Not a bad experiment.

Turns out footy skills win.

And do they ever play on the Lynches and Hawkins of this world?

Not sure that’s their go given their respective frames.
In the long term Reid is going to be that guy - he's never gonna be the thickest but he's bloody massive and will be strong enough to take the big boys... think Fletcher. But it's going to take another 4 years!

They gave Stewart 2 because they really wanted to believe he could fill the hole. Right list move with the wrong player.

In the long term Reid is going to be that guy - he's never gonna be the thickest but he's bloody massive and will be strong enough to take the big boys... think Fletcher. But it's going to take another 4 years!

They gave Stewart 2 because they really wanted to believe he could fill the hole. Right list move with the wrong player.
I think people misremember Fletch a little - playing on the genuine monsters was never his one wood. The Rocco boys in particular game him some absolute baths over the journey. Sheehy eventually worked it out and let him just play on the worst forward, zone off and wreak havoc.

We’ll see with Reid - he had height/length and heaps of composure but i still have questions re whether he can play that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back