AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Was good but exposed a bit in a few one-on-ones. Through no fault of his own, we had a 207cm Lobb and 198cm Taberner to contend with. I think we have to be careful at selection and recognise when we need two genuine tall defenders - which Francis and Laverde aren’t. Just running with Stewart (who is underdone to boot) can leave us short.

Was good but exposed a bit in a few one-on-ones. Through no fault of his own, we had a 207cm Lobb and 198cm Taberner to contend with. I think we have to be careful at selection and recognise when we need two genuine tall defenders - which Francis and Laverde aren’t. Just running with Stewart (who is underdone to boot) can leave us short.
Yep. The balance is off.

Worth resting him next week? North don't have the tallest forwardline.
They have Larkey, Cambell/Xerri, Zurhaar and Garner as talls or mediums.

Worth resting him next week? North don't have the tallest forwardline.
No idea, I mean he's not that tall himself. But the defence was a bit garbage when he was off the field, for one reason or another. Glad he managed to play out the game given how many times we've seen him take a hit early in a game and take 10 weeks or more to get back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him go down and then didn't get an opportunity to watch the game. My heart was in my mouth.

It looked horrible and it always rings alarm bells when nothing really happens and a player reacts like that. Kind of like when Alex Pearce hurt himself innocuously, tripping over his own feet, to then be diagnosed with an undetected fracture in his ankle (or something like that).

It's hard to see how Laverde could have played out the game if he'd done real damage but with his lower leg history, we're not out of the woods until we seem him named to play this week.

With Ridley last year, and now Laverde breaking out this year, some praise needs to be heaped on backline coaching IMO. Players going from uncertainty to nearly AA!
Go back to 2019 and tell us we'd lose Hooker, Hurley, Saad, McKenna & Ambrose in the backline by 2021.
With Hind the only recruit.
Panic stations anyone?

They're in for a bludgeoning this weekend.
Ideally the midfield can step up and protect with continued clearance pressure, but also better kicks into the 50.
And Zachy can stop NN's runs by grabbing onto the dreads :p

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Back