Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody miss this bloke. Wonder if him and Rioli can play HBF at same time? Works with Saad and Docherty! Ralphsmith isn't a back flankers arse. Would love to see his attributes on McIntosh's wing but given up hope Hardwick will try.
Was thinking this last night at the game.

Short needs to be our number one half back again. His kicking actually goes over the zones.

Most of last night we were taking two kicks to get out of the 50, most teams have cleared their defensive 50 with one kick.

Bloody miss this bloke. Wonder if him and Rioli can play HBF at same time? Works with Saad and Docherty! Ralphsmith isn't a back flankers arse. Would love to see his attributes on McIntosh's wing but given up hope Hardwick will try.
Looked alright round 1 playing together

What I like about having both is when one of them is at half back we tend to see the other pushing up the wing and towards half forward and creating chains with each other and getting that link up play going out of D50
Seems to be something we have missed the last few weeks

I think people are starting to realise now he's not there how important he is.

A fast, evaise, 25 disposal a game, long kicking, skillful guy who can play anywhere. That's in short supply right now (no pun intended).
Might not be the world's best mid, but he can rotate there too and gives us something completely different in a bit of line breaking run, speed and decent kicking. Good contrast to our current slow, average skilled primary rotation of Prestia, Hopper, Taranto.

Might not be the world's best mid, but he can rotate there too and gives us something completely different in a bit of line breaking run, speed and decent kicking. Good contrast to our current slow, average skilled primary rotation of Prestia, Hopper, Taranto.

Yep. It's pretty much left up to purely Taranto Hopper and Prestia right now.

I looked at last season CBA numbers and forgot Short played 40-50% CBA. Definitely gave us something different. I think he would pair well with them as another different outside type when Bolton is forward

Yep. It's pretty much left up to purely Taranto Hopper and Prestia right now.

I looked at last season CBA numbers and forgot Short played 40-50% CBA. Definitely gave us something different. I think he would pair well with them as another different outside type when Bolton is forward

And in the pre-season that CBA number was around 75%.

I’m not the biggest Short fan (don’t think right now he has a position where he is clearly the best option), but generally very clean and generally a good user of the footy. Two thing we can’t say we’ve been doing well at in the last few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We play better with Shorty in the side.

I know people mainly think of him for long kicks, but he is far more accurate than I think people realise.

If you look at the stat's for the team he's easily one of our cleaner options over long distances. His kick/handball ratio is obviously the best in the team, he leads for kicks and obviously meters gained. He's kicking more often and far further than anyone else on the team and he registers what I would consider acceptable numbers in clangers (especially just within richmond) and decent numbers in kicking efficiency (75ish% I think).

He's easily one of our most consistent players and a fine example for our youth, just like Lambert before him.

I've seen a few stray kicks from him this season and they always stick out but I've also seen him hit players on the chest, kicking it 55m+ on the run.

The big deal we gave him was worth every penny. We should have also signed him up as kicking coach.

He also gifted us with this beautiful clip. Suck shit Collingwood.

This thread is like a YoYo

Short is a gun

short is s**t

short is a gun again

nahh he s**t

back to being a gun again this week
He’s a gun on the HBF and shit when in the guts. I tried to warn people last year he wasn’t a midfielder, but you know how it goes on here. Opponents must have been laughing at us by taking away an outlet weapon from the BL and then popping him in the midfield and cramping him up bc he was clueless to rapid changes in direction of the ball and knowing when to run off your opponent and defend. He was caught in two minds whether he should be ball watching or player watching. It really made him look ugly and he made errors that he just wouldn’t make on the HBL.

He’s a gun on the HBF and s**t when in the guts. I tried to warn people last year he wasn’t a midfielder, but you know how it goes on here. Opponents must have been laughing at us by taking away an outlet weapon from the BL and then popping him in the midfield and cramping him up bc he was clueless to rapid changes in direction of the ball and knowing when to run off your opponent and defend. He was caught in two minds whether he should be ball watching or player watching. It really made him look ugly and he made errors that he just wouldn’t make on the HBL.
HB is definately his best position but i can understand why the coaches want him playing mid roles as we dont really have alot of attacking outside players with good disposal and they like his long kicking deep inside 50. We really only have Short & Bolton that does this and the club is hoping HRS and Sonsie becomes similar players to give us that option

HB is definately his best position but i can understand why the coaches want him playing mid roles as we dont really have alot of attacking outside players with good disposal and they like his long kicking deep inside 50. We really only have Short & Bolton that does this and the club is hoping HRS and Sonsie becomes similar players to give us that option
Fair enough, but it’s just robbing from Peter to play Paul. He’s not a MF areshole.

Saw him doing some half decent body work on Blicavs at times in centre bounces v Cats.

Short suddenly looks on top of his game.
Lol every man and his dog is expected to do body work on an opponent/ opposition player Irrespective of location on the ground. What you’re suggesting doesn’t mean he’s a midfielder.

He is playing well and getting into good positions on the ground and providing the outside kick but has lost the ability to kick goals recently and would love to see that come back into his game

Has he lost the ability or is he playing too much in defence where he's most valued?

No coincidence that all 3 of Richmond's wins this season have happened with Shorty in the side.

Lol every man and his dog is expected to do body work on an opponent/ opposition player Irrespective of location on the ground. What you’re suggesting doesn’t mean he’s a midfielder.

Sure, I just liked the way he was going about it in the coupe of cb's where I watched him. Teams have so many possible stoppage setups these days, and I think Short legitimately fits into some of ours. Is, he a starting inside mid in a Grand Final? No, I don't think so either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back