Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Basta is ahead of Atley. Averaged 21 disposals and 0.9 goals for the year (22.5 and 1.8 goals in the last 6 games) He has become one of the most important players in our midfield. Swallow, JZ, Ben10 inside, Wells, NDS, Basta on the outside. Might just save Brads job!

Yep. He ain't got x-factor but he's a bloody machine and an important player nowadays. And he's improving.

Anyway, we shouldn't get fixated on who gets pushed out when we bring in a class player. Those annoying things called injuries and the MRP will make sure more than just 22 will play plenty. Best to look at things in terms of our best 26 players who can rotate through the side. Depthhhhh is good. And just hope it doesn't end up being 36 who have to run out......in Steve Saunders we trust (but not bloody Kevin Bartlett and his MRP mob).

People who demote Gibson from the side greatly undervalue what he brings on a weekly basis.

Basta is ahead of Atley. Averaged 21 disposals and 0.9 goals for the year (22.5 and 1.8 goals in the last 6 games) He has become one of the most important players in our midfield. Swallow, JZ, Ben10 inside, Wells, NDS, Basta on the outside. Might just save Brads job!

Atley is better on the outside than Basti.

I may get beaten over the head with an iron rod for saying this but I think our midfield functioned better and was more balanced without Swallow there.

our best 22

B: Hansen, S Thompson, McMahon (needs to get really fit)
HB: Mullett, Grima, Mcdonald
C: Dal Santo, Wells, Atley
HF: Boomer, Taz, Adams
FF: Thomas, Petrie, Black
R: Goldy, Swallow, Ziebell
Bench: Cunnington, Bastinac, Gibson
Sub: Jmac

Taz needs to take up more ruckwork next year, if he can ruck 30% of the game and do a decent job, he'll play week in week out, doesnt matter how many goals he kicks. If he cant do that and Goldy gets cooked, Majak or Currie will have to be looked at.

Adams: Needs to be consistant, if he perfoms like he did in the first half of the year, I can see Garner or Harper taking his spot

Swallow: if he is not ready round 1, Greenwood comes in.

Can someone who regularly watches the 2's tell me if McDonald is really physically mature enough to play Round 1. Would hate to do damage by going too early. It's hopefully a long career and its often seen that clubs go too early with high pick recruits.

His more than ready, was a class above at VFL level, was quiet mid year because of his Knee and Vic Metro Commitments, but the back end of the season and the finals, showed why he is ready for AFL footy.

Atley is better on the outside than Basti.

I may get beaten over the head with an iron rod for saying this but I think our midfield functioned better and was more balanced without Swallow there.
I'm yet to see that. Atley is great linking up off the half back but outside players need to play inside when its their turn, Basta does this. His disposal and decision making is so underrated on here in fact his decision making is way ahead of Atley. There where many times during the year where Atley ran himself in trouble and didn't know what to do. Basta is a gun and getting better and better while Atley as stalled. I'm not saying Atley's no good but he's not going to push Basta onto the bench until he can prove him self to be more consistent.

And I cant find a stick big enough to bash you over the head;)

our best 22

B: Hansen, S Thompson, McMahon (needs to get really fit)
HB: Mullett, Grima, Mcdonald
C: Dal Santo, Wells, Atley
HF: Boomer, Taz, Adams
FF: Thomas, Petrie, Black
R: Goldy, Swallow, Ziebell
Bench: Cunnington, Bastinac, Gibson
Sub: Jmac

Taz needs to take up more ruckwork next year, if he can ruck 30% of the game and do a decent job, he'll play week in week out, doesnt matter how many goals he kicks. If he cant do that and Goldy gets cooked, Majak or Currie will have to be looked at.

Adams: Needs to be consistant, if he perfoms like he did in the first half of the year, I can see Garner or Harper taking his spot

Swallow: if he is not ready round 1, Greenwood comes in.
Don't know about Harper m8. This year was a right off for him. He struggled at VFL level I am not convinced yet he will make it. I hope I am wrong however

I think NDS would be a massive get for North. When are we likely to find out whether he is coming or not? Is it just me or has the momentum regarding his possible move to North gone quiet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think NDS would be a massive get for North. When are we likely to find out whether he is coming or not? Is it just me or has the momentum regarding his possible move to North gone quiet?

if anything it has got stronger, because everyone else has quietened....I reckon it will be the first trade off the rank next Monday.

Jmac's spot to me is already debatable, given a fit McMahon is much more important than Jmac.
I think I just have to resign myself to the fact that no one will ever appreciate what Jamie adds to the side. His talk, his leadership, his clear talent that has been steadily improving, none of it. Thankfully, none of you have control over whether he gets a game.

I think I just have to resign myself to the fact that no one will ever appreciate what Jamie adds to the side. His talk, his leadership, his clear talent that has been steadily improving, none of it. Thankfully, none of you have control over whether he gets a game.

I understand all that, but I cant see Mullet, Jmac or Mcdonald taking a gunston type player, Hansen shouldnt take the third tall forward because we need him to be that third up to help our rebound style game. McMahon on the other hand can take that third tall, the gunston type player, good one on one, can also help out Thompson and Grima by going third up.

If there was one area we still need to work on its our defence.

Dont get me wrong, McMahon still needs to get super fit and lose some weight over the pre season, if he can't Jmac has to play in his spot, but I feel McMahon has more to offer.

I understand all that, but I cant see Mullet, Jmac or Mcdonald taking a gunston type player, Hansen shouldnt take the third tall forward because we need him to be that third up to help our rebound style game. McMahon on the other hand can take that third tall, the gunston type player, good one on one, can also help out Thompson and Grima by going third up.

If there was one area we still need to work on its our defence.

Dont get me wrong, McMahon still needs to get super fit and lose some weight over the pre season, if he can't Jmac has to play in his spot, but I feel McMahon has more to offer.

Funny you should choose that example. MacMillan towelled up Gunston when we last played them.

Funny you should choose that example. MacMillan towelled up Gunston when we last played them.

I was wondering who it was. I remember clearly that one of our not so tall defenders had done a fantastic job on him.

towled up?
what do you consider towelled up...
Gunston kicked 1 goal...which was the sealer..
18 touches 7 marks....would say a fair few would be 60-70 out from goal...
while Jmac only had 19 touches himself

I would NOT call that towelled up...

EDIT: I forgot we played Hawthorn twice, I was refering to the round 5 match.

towled up?

For a midfielder who's filling in because our two best key defenders have gone down, I'd say that's a pretty bloody good day at the office.

towled up?

For starters you need to recheck your stats. They are wrong. Watching the game, Gunston had very little influence. MacMillan did an extremely good job on him.

Not sure about your sealer comment either. He was held goalless.

I'm not interested in getting into a semantics debate about what constitutes "towelled up". I just thought it was funny that you said you could never see one of those playing on Gunston when MacMillan did it very well a few games ago.

Can someone who regularly watches the 2's tell me if McDonald is really physically mature enough to play Round 1. Would hate to do damage by going too early. It's hopefully a long career and its often seen that clubs go too early with high pick recruits.

I went to every one of werribee's finals games, and the last round, and one or two through the year - McDonald is ready to go. People say he's a running HBF - not sure about the running bit, because in my view he plays HBF like Luke Hodge, and with the same physical presence even as an 18 year old

No problem.

As for Luke McDonald, I think he is definitely ready. Probably the best prepared draftee we have ever had and the most highly rated since Wells.

After seeing his finals series, I don't have him locked on a half back flank. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he plays significant midfield time from day 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back