Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

People who demote Gibson from the side greatly undervalue what he brings on a weekly basis.

I'm a big fan of his spread as well but let's not forget it is the ONLY thing he brings to the side. He doesn't carry the ball when he gets it and too often he kicks high floaters along the wing when he does find the ball in space.

Don't forget that spread and carry is what has made Dal Santo a star of the competition for 10 years and it is also a huge part of Luke McDonald's game. Throw in Mason Wood and hopefully Keiran Harper as similar types.

There is a large class gap between Gibson and many others on our list, Dal Santo and McDonald will help and the others need to prove they can work as hard as Gibson does if they are going to displace him.

I have stated this before but I think we are very balanced and have the right players sitting in the VFL ready to come in when injuries and the MRP lottery takes their toll.
I would love Betts, as our forward structure would be absolutely crazy to match up on, but just not sure how you slot him into the 22, probably Jacobs or Harper gets pushed out.
McDonald would come in but I do not want to pin too high a hope on him(it is hard though not to), so I start him in the Depth team.

How ever it goes we have the making of an almighty combination 2014 and onwards.:)

Bold = new
Blue = under 25s

The Senior Team
FB: Hansen, Grima, Atley
HB: Del Santo, Thompson, Mullett
C: McKenzie, Cunnington, Wells
HF: Bastinac, Petrie, Harvey
FF: Tarrant, Black, Thomas
R: Goldstein, Swallow, Ziebell
Bench: Harper, Gibson, MacMillan, Jacobs
The Depth Team
FB: Wilkins, Firrito, Hine
HB: McMahon, Delaney, Sierakowski
C: Anthony, Greenwood, Best Available Outside Speedster(first live pick)
HF: Wright, Curran, Adams
FF: Garner, Daw, Wood
R: Currie, McDonald, Garlett(r)
Bench:Best State League (under 25) KPD(r), Best Available Player, maybe lock down defender (second live pick), McGenniss(r), Warren(r)
Gone: Delaney, Kennedy, Mabon, Gysberts, Speight(r), Richardson(r)

I love Black and think he has great potential but that would be suicide. He doesn't have the size or the experience to take on these types. Not to mention he would also be our only tall forward when Petrie was rucking. He would be lucky to kick 20 goals (for the season) if played with that structure.

HB: McKenzie, Thompson, Mullett
C: Dal Santo, Cunnington, Wells
Bench: Adams, Gibson, MacMillan, McDonald

I also think Currie will play a lot more next year in the same team as Goldstein

I love Black and think he has great potential but that would be suicide. He doesn't have the size or the experience to take on these types. Not to mention he would also be our only tall forward when Petrie was rucking. He would be lucky to kick 20 goals (for the season) if played with that structure.

you only have to look at what happened when Tarrant went off in the third quarter against Hawthorn, our structure was shot.

Can someone who regularly watches the 2's tell me if McDonald is really physically mature enough to play Round 1. Would hate to do damage by going too early. It's hopefully a long career and its often seen that clubs go too early with high pick recruits.

He will be fine, he is already 80kg, which is the same weight as Swallow, he will probably put on a few kilos over the pre-season. We don't usually build lightweights any longer.

The Senior Team
HB: Del Santo, Thompson, Mullett
C: McKenzie, Cunnington, Wells
Bench: Harper, Gibson, MacMillan, Jacobs
The Depth Team
FB: Wilkins, Firrito, Hine
HB: McMahon, Delaney, Sierakowski
C: Anthony, Greenwood, Best Available Outside Speedster(first live pick)
HF: Wright, Curran, Adams
FF: Garner, Daw, Wood
R: Currie, McDonald, Garlett(r)
Bench:Best State League (under 25) KPD(r), Best Available Player, maybe lock down defender (second live pick), McGenniss(r), Warren(r)
Gone: Delaney, Kennedy, Mabon, Gysberts, Speight(r), Richardson(r)

We won't be getting Garlett as a rookie IF we do get him

The LOLs continue...

JMac & Gibson as locks??? Please.

FB: C.Delaney ---Thompson --- Mullet
HB: Dal Santo --- Hansen --- McDonald
C: Wells ---- Ziebell ---- McKenzie
HF: Harvey ----- Petrie ----- Garner
FF: Thomas ----- Daw ----- Black
R: Goldstein -- Cunnington --- Bastinac
I/C: Swallow - Greenwood - Atley - Harper

Em: Currie - Grima - Wright
Tarrant - McMahon - Gibson
Firitto - Adams - Jacobs
Curran - Garlett - MacMillan
Wood

The LOLs continue...

Firitto - Adams - Jacobs
Yet you name Garner and McKenzie...

We won't be getting Garlett as a rookie IF we do get him

You may be right, we may have to use our second live pick. This is just what I would do with my limited knowledge, I am sure Bryce will have a fair idea who is interested, I just don't think that many other clubs are interested so I am going with the rookie spot, it's neither here nor there swap his (r) for (second live pick). I don't think he is worthy of our first live pick, but we will see come draft day. :)

are you happy with the rest and how balanced we look?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garner showed more in a quarter against Collingwood than Jamie has in his entire career.
McKenzie is just a serious footballer with weapons, unlike your Forrest Gump
You've become a parody of yourself.

Projecting forwards...

FB: Atley Thompson Mullett
HB: McKenzie Hansen McDonald
C: Dal Santo Ziebell Wells
HF: Wood Black Garner
FF: Thomas Petrie Harvey
R: Goldstein Cunnington Swallow
I: Bastinac Adams Harper Garlett

The three new blokes. Need Grima for a team with 3 KPFs.

Not sure what realistic chance we are of getting Garlett, would be cool if we got him.

You've become a parody of yourself.

I don't think I'm alone with that line of thinking.

When you have a think about our weakest links, the same names pop up:

1. MacMillan
2. Tarrant
3. Gibson
4. Grima
5. Firitto
6. McMahon

IMO these guys need to be replaced or improved upon in order to take the next step.

The LOLs continue...

Firitto - Adams - Jacobs
Wood

Tarrant is a lock mate, even if it does upset you.:oops:
MacMillan will get a game in front of Greenwood every day of the week and twice on Sundays.:D
Fantastic if C.Delaney pushes Grima out, but I don't see, maybe by the end of the year.
I like Garner but, well maybe, no Gibson to the wing and Wells on the forward flank:thumbsu:
I hope McDonald is as good as some suggest in here.:D

Yet you name Garner and McKenzie...

seriously man you keep on knocking MacKenzie and I will get really angry:mad: and hit the keys on the keyboard alot harder.;)

You may be right, we may have to use our second live pick. This is just what I would do with my limited knowledge, I am sure Bryce will have a fair idea who is interested, I just don't think that many other clubs are interested so I am going with the rookie spot, it's neither here nor there swap his (r) for (second live pick). I don't think he is worthy of our first live pick, but we will see come draft day. :)

are you happy with the rest and how balanced we look?

From what I can gather I think we may be lucky to get him at all..

Otherwise yeah, I'm pretty happy. Especially with those FB, HB, C and R lines. 22 games out of Hansen, Thompson and Grima next year will put us in good stead while rotating back pockets/HBF with mids. Just get the feeling our HF/FF lines are still aren't quite set, in terms of finding the right mixture of talls/smalls and then being able to rotate Cunnington/Ziebell through there for a rest while getting games into Harper/Garner/Wood

If Gibson continues to adapt to AFL footy like he has since coming into the team from the VFL he aint going anywhere in a hurry and nor should he.

since last season he has really began to play a lot more within his limitations and is more than worthy of a walk up start ATM.

Projecting forwards...

FB: Atley Thompson Mullett
HB: McKenzie Hansen McDonald
C: Dal Santo Ziebell Wells
HF: Wood Black Garner
FF: Thomas Petrie Harvey
R: Goldstein Cunnington Swallow
I: Bastinac Adams Harper Garlett

The three new blokes. Need Grima for a team with 3 KPFs.

Not sure what realistic chance we are of getting Garlett, would be cool if we got him.

I want a little more height at both ends of the field. How far forward are you projecting? do you think Wood and Petrie will play in the same team? at senior level.

Garner showed more in a quarter against Collingwood than Jamie has in his entire career.
McKenzie is just a serious footballer with weapons, unlike your Forrest Gump.

Gibbo > Jmac

But Mckenzie has them both covered for hurt factor.

Gibbo and Jmac will start off but Garner and McKenzie are more talented. You would expect them to force their way in.

Our Scott [tm] teams to start seasons off is usually shambolic.

Watch Garner's 1st quarter against Collingwood in game 1.25

And then take a look at JMac's 1st quarter against Geelong.

The class discrepancy is alarming. If Jamie is to get a game it should be a defensive forward as he is a quality finisher.

Tarrant is a lock mate, even if it does upset you

It doesn't upset me per se - I'm not a hater - I just think Goldy needs a chop out and drew and blacky aren't going anywhere.

for my money harper is the one that will struggle the most to ever break back into the team,

in fact i would suggest he,s gone.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's already gone.. but if he doesn't have a strong pre-season/start to the season in the VFL then it's probably a given that he'd struggle to break back in.

I want a little more height at both ends of the field. How far forward are you projecting? do you think Wood and Petrie will play in the same team? at senior level.

Wood has similar attributes to Black, will provide mobility with the goal kicking ability, he has spunk. Maybe later in the year for Wood, depending on how he goes with development or injury. Might be a year early but am looking forward to see him work with Black.

I think the mobility of Black, Wood and Garner will make the forward line very potent.

I thin Tarrant will start off, but if he doesn't perform I think the door will open for Wood if he can maintain form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Nick Dal Santo - 62 NM/322 AFL games - delisted by NM end '16 - retired from AFL Nov '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back