AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside, there are three attributes that I think are his strongest, he's a good kick/can kick from 50+ out, he's instinctive in his snaps and he's hard to bring down (strong core).

All of these attributes I think makes a medium forward role suit him best.

If he had a better tank on him and was quicker I would have him on the wing in a Bailey Smith type role, but I doubt he would slim down at the expense of that strong core so I see him as more of a burst and shrug type player which is perfectly suited to taking opportunities that arise in the forward line.

It was Shaun Mannagh's first year in the system and he's 27. It's hyperbole to suggest that "time is running out". Perkins has played four seasons by 22 and his first was pretty good.

In fact all of his stats except for i50's/Mi50 grew exponentially in his first three seasons. Yes he's had a down year this year but what 22 year old doesn't. He was dropped accordingly.

I get what you're saying to an extent but people are also judging him based on unrealistic expectations and ignoring his statistics entirely. Out of all of the draftees of 2020 he has shown the most yet faces the most scrutiny. It's just part and parcel of our supporter base in that we've gone so long without a finals win that they're guided away from realism in the face of much desired aspiration. I can sympathize with that, but it's unrealistic and pointed in the wrong direction.
I would say Cox is every bit as maligned as Perkins. Huge pre season for both of them. It’s time they both play with consistency - saying they’re young won’t fly next season.

As an aside, there are three attributes that I think are his strongest, he's a good kick/can kick from 50+ out, he's instinctive in his snaps and he's hard to bring down (strong core).

All of these attributes I think makes a medium forward role suit him best.

If he had a better tank on him and was quicker I would have him on the wing in a Bailey Smith type role, but I doubt he would slim down at the expense of that strong core so I see him as more of a burst and shrug type player which is perfectly suited to taking opportunities that arise in the forward line.
Agree with you on this. Half forward is his go and there is a spot for him.

He actually has a pretty good tank surprisingly, or at least he did when drafted from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back