Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I see the rationale behind trading him and agree that we should pull the trigger, **** we are going to miss him.

Needs to be a hell of a deal to let him go, 7 & 20 at worst. Ideally 7 and 12 with a future pick going back.
Out of the 3 guns we could lose, he is the one that hurts the most IMO, and I dont mean just on playing ability.

Out of the 3 guns we could lose, he is the one that hurts the most IMO, and I dont mean just on playing ability.
Yeah. He's also 28 next year and hobbles around after every single game. Gotta bite the bullet sometimes. We have a golden opportunity with Bolton and Rioli contracted long term and their suitors have plenty of trade capital.

Yeah. He's also 28 next year and hobbles around after every single game. Gotta bite the bullet sometimes. We have a golden opportunity with Bolton and Rioli contracted long term and their suitors have plenty of trade capital.
I know, but it still hurts bro, it still hurts ya know :(

trade out: DRioli,Short,Graham,Baker.

trade in: 1 x top 10 pick + 1 x 19-24 pick or future 19-24pick (DRioli),picks #28-33 (Baker/Short,4/5 years guaranteed @ new clubs ?)
& pick #42-48 (Graham,guaranteed 60/75 games for new club ?)

Mcintosh,Grimes,Dusty,Naismith retired.Edit: Pickett

:rolleyes: wish we could delist Ryan,Hopper

9 changes b4 2-3 delistings ?

Last edited:
I know, but it still hurts bro, it still hurts ya know :(

Canadian Hug GIF by Kim's Convenience

Wanting to trade Rioli is a bad business/culture move by the tiges.

He was the young player that Cotch/ Riewoldt wanted to sacrifice their careers for so he could enjoy the success in the future.

He was also a big role player in the bond the team created over the 2017 preseason.

He is a centrepiece in the culture that is the Richmond Football club.
We lose him the club will slowly dissolve back into the basket case pre 2017.

He is a leader in the Indigenous space within the club, does a lot behind close doors that us supporters just don’t see.

Also, being 28 the start of next year isn’t really a problem. He could easily play til his 33-34 and win another flag at the back end.

Trading him is a massive gamble that isn’t necessary. We have the draft capital to get another high end pick.

He was the young player that Cotch/ Riewoldt wanted to sacrifice their careers for so he could enjoy the success in the future.

He was also a big role player in the bond the team created over the 2017 preseason.

He is a leader in the Indigenous space within the club, does a lot behind close doors that us supporters just don’t see.

Also, being 28 the start of next year isn’t really a problem. He could easily play til his 33-34 and win another flag at the back end.

Trading him is a massive gamble that isn’t necessary. We have the draft capital to get another high end pick.
What if he requests a trade? I don't think he will be pushed out.

Good point re indigenous
If we lose Rioli and Bolton and Pickett that is essentially all of our mature indigenous players and current leaders

What started with Sheds took a long time to foster and nurture and it would be a crying shame to lose that strong connection

If Couthard also doesn’t get another contract it would only leave Mansell and Rioli Jr at the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I see the rationale behind trading him and agree that we should pull the trigger, **** we are going to miss him.

Needs to be a hell of a deal to let him go, 7 & 20 at worst. Ideally 7 and 12 with a future pick going back.
I remember many wanted him delisted lol. We will miss him, then again we have an opportunity to go crazy in the draft and believe it’s best for the club.

Not for me. Get rid of anyone that that isn't fully invested and doesn't want to be here.
Don’t think it’s that clear cut personally

No one forced him to sign a long term contract and he has obviously been rewarded very well both in terms of the years of the contract and financially

If he only wants to move now because it’s got a little bit tough and wants to take selfies on the beach in the sun he needs to stick it tough and honour the contract that he signed

if he says he wants to go then why not? he played just a big part as Dusty in all 3 premierships and given us a good service.

he doesn't owe the club anything! get some kids in for him as we rebuild and who knows he may come back if the grass isn't greener where he goes to finish up with us!
He does owe the club because he signed the long term contract
That long term contract works both ways
It’s essentially a promise that he will stick with the club as the club will stick by him

Good point re indigenous
If we lose Rioli and Bolton and Pickett that is essentially all of our mature indigenous players and current leaders

What started with Sheds took a long time to foster and nurture and it would be a crying shame to lose that strong connection

If Couthard also doesn’t get another contract it would only leave Mansell and Rioli Jr at the club
Agree. We need Dan to continue the role Sheeda played in when he first came to the club.

It would be embarrassing to lose all our Indigenous players in the one go.

I’d actually entertain keeping Coulthard on a rookie contract for another year. - seems close with Dan.

Don’t think it’s that clear cut personally

No one forced him to sign a long term contract and he has obviously been rewarded very well both in terms of the years of the contract and financially

If he only wants to move now because it’s got a little bit tough and wants to take selfies on the beach in the sun he needs to stick it tough and honour the contract that he signed
That long term contract will be the reason we get over compensated by GC for his departure. He could have signed for only a couple of years and we'd be about to lose him as a free agent and possibly only get pick 21 for him.
Happily decline it.
it’s not like he has family there that he needs to be with.

Hold him to the contract he signed, he doesn’t look like he has checked out - is in All Aust form.
Maybe if we were in the window. Now we need to make the most of it IMO.

Happily decline it.
it’s not like he has family there that he needs to be with.

Hold him to the contract he signed, he doesn’t look like he has checked out - is in All Aust form.
Yup,
IF the reasons behind him wanting a trade were family related or circumstances that ultimately deeply affected his or his immediate family’s welfare because of unforeseen circumstances that have changed since he signed the contract

Absolutely let’s bargain in good faith with the Gold Coast
But this seems like a luxury request so if he wants the move to happen it’s up to Gold Coast to pay stupid overs

Not just fair value.
I’m talking a stupid overs

If Dan wants to go and the offer is well worth it we’ve got to take it.

As much as I love him and he’s been a shining light in a glum season. We saw with someone like Lids how easily a career can fall apart by injury at 28+ and we should capitalise on his value while we can.
Lids was extremely durable player up until that point as well.

Richmond pay 50% of his salary for the next 3 years and in return GC gives the club what we want.
Basically GC get a borderline A grade half backer for the wages within their cap of an average listed player. That’s a huge leg up with getting a player of his calibre and there is no doubt he will tear it up for the next 3-4 years at GC but if we could nail a Lalor, Armstrong, Travaglia or Jagga with this sort of pick it’s one we shouldn’t regret in the long term.

That long term contract will be the reason we get over compensated by GC for his departure. He could have signed for only a couple of years and we'd be about to lose him as a free agent and possibly only get pick 21 for him.

Maybe if we were in the window. Now we need to make the most of it IMO.
Two mid to late first rounders isn’t over compensated
That’s market value

Agree. We need Dan to continue the role Sheeda played in when he first came to the club.

It would be embarrassing to lose all our Indigenous players in the one go.

I’d actually entertain keeping Coulthard on a rookie contract for another year. - seems close with Dan.
Why? It'd have absolutely 0 to do with their indigenous roots. Our club embraces that better than any other.

Coulthard does not deserve another contract, giving him one just because he's aboriginal would be a terrible decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back