AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes - Re-signs until 2026 - 24/7

Remove this Banner Ad

He's all right.
8e373f3359c198579c5962aa505f1db3_w200.gif

matthew-mcconaughey-alright.gif

Hayes isn’t and shouldn’t be in our 22 right now. However, that night not be the case for a North, as an example. It doesn’t matter if he’s 19 or 29. You may not like it, but opposing teams may choose to offer Hayes something more than what Essendon are, be it AFL games, money, extra years on a contract.

It kind of does matter if he’s 19 or 29.

And no one has said some other team can’t offer him money.

It’s your panic merchant schtick about ‘omg a young kpp isn’t playing AFL they’ll never be played they should leave’ which is exactly what you pulled with Bryan.

I dunno. I was a full back in juniors and my coach was also a defender and it was one of the first things I learned, you need to be able to spoil with both hands.
Does he spoil with his right hand only if in a 1:1 contest as opposed to when his opponent is on the lead?

When on the lead, does he always jump/lunge into the contest off the same foot if he's closing in on his man? For example If he's pushing off on his left foot he'll get a couple of extra inches spoiling with his right arm by twisting towards the left with his right arm out in front. No idea how you'd always arrive ready to jump off your left but thought I'd ask anyway. It could equally be a load of shit that I just concocted in my mind.

Does he spoil with his right hand only if in a 1:1 contest as opposed to when his opponent is on the lead?

When on the lead, does he always jump/lunge into the contest off the same foot if he's closing in on his man? For example If he's pushing off on his left foot he'll get a couple of extra inches spoiling with his right arm by twisting towards the left with his right arm out in front. No idea how you'd always arrive ready to jump off your left but thought I'd ask anyway. It could equally be a load of shit that I just concocted in my mind.
I'm not sure. Like these observations come sometimes watching on a phone or laptop and not able to see the lower half of the body, sometimes when I'm watching live and it's on the direct opposite flank where it's hard to tell the overall gait but it's easy to see how they're spoiling.

It's a good question, I'm sorry I don't have a good answer

If he decides to leave after 2 years as a developing KPP then the only thing we've screwed up is drafting him in the first place.

The only KPP's that have played from that draft have been Aaron Cadman (#1 pick), Harry Barnett (2 games playing second ruck when WC had basically no KPP available) and Tylar Young (Richmond, who have basically no KPP's). Two KPP's taken in the first round haven't debuted yet.

He'd also be really stupid. Baldwin and Reid are injury prone, Laverde is 28 and not really a KPP but doing an okay job at the minute. He just needs patience.
Please explain this to Lewis because the oppo will be scouring lists and making approaches.

Still all his other competition is injured and LAV isn’t a KPP and Hayes can’t get a game despite being good at VFL level.

It might seem insulting to play two players out of position (lav and Ridley) and give up one of the teams biggest advantages (free Ridley) just to not give you game time
Came in to express a similar concern; if we're managing Laverde, Hayes should've been given a crack. He hasn't been, therefore, mustn't be doing something required of him, which is...?

Came in to express a similar concern; if we're managing Laverde, Hayes should've been given a crack. He hasn't been, therefore, mustn't be doing something required of him, which is...?
Melbourne dont exactly have an amazingly tall forward line

If they did, i dont think Lav wouldve been managed this week

Hayes is still just 19, see dogs injury list and Busslinger. Theyre playing Lobb and Buku

Hayes isn’t and shouldn’t be in our 22 right now. However, that night not be the case for a North, as an example. It doesn’t matter if he’s 19 or 29. You may not like it, but opposing teams may choose to offer Hayes something more than what Essendon are, be it AFL games, money, extra years on a contract.
he’d have to be seriously (and unrealistically) pissed off to go to north. Or feeling a lot of self doubt I guess. With us he is on rails to becoming a part of a good defence in a good team. Hopefully he knows that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he’d have to be seriously (and unrealistically) pissed off to go to north. Or feeling a lot of self doubt I guess. With us he is on rails to becoming a part of a good defence in a good team. Hopefully he knows that.
In fairness, a young guy like Hayes could look at North now and think the same thing. They're in a better position now than West Coast I reckon.

Melbourne dont exactly have an amazingly tall forward line

If they did, i dont think Lav wouldve been managed this week

Hayes is still just 19, see dogs injury list and Busslinger. Theyre playing Lobb and Buku
True. But 'managed' is what I'm driving at here. If the reason is that Dees' forwardline is smaller then the reality is that Laverde has been omitted for a smaller player. If Laverde really is being 'managed' you'd think it should be a like for like replacement. They should call it for what it is. He's been omitted because it's tactical.

I don’t fully agree. Hypothetically (obviously), if we say here’s a 2 year deal at $400k, you’ll keep developing in the VFL for a couple of years - and then North (or whoever) come along and say here’s 3 years at $600k, you’ll be playing AFL next year - I definitely don’t think he’d have to be pissed off to take/consider that offer.

I absolutely hope he stays, but other teams will rightfully be keeping an eye on him. As we (Essendon) would be doing with other clubs players.

In fairness, a young guy like Hayes could look at North now and think the same thing. They're in a better position now than West Coast I reckon.

WCE have rarely been bad for long, I think they'll turn it around pretty quick. They're an absolute powerhouse off-field with plenty of cash and side attractions to keep good players. North have probably done just enough to make LDU & Zurhaar consider staying in the last month, but it would have been pretty close to losing another couple of senior players.

WCE have rarely been bad for long, I think they'll turn it around pretty quick. They're an absolute powerhouse off-field with plenty of cash and side attractions to keep good players. North have probably done just enough to make LDU & Zurhaar consider staying in the last month, but it would have been pretty close to losing another couple of senior players.
LDU especially would have been getting offers from everywhere. I was a Zurhaar believer until recently. Glad to be off that bandwagon.

WC have still got a lot of potential but need to off-load and embrace the rebuild. The question of who that should be is pressing. I'd be trying to keep Yeo and Darling as a minimum. They'd probably like to keep Sheed. Gaff gone. If McGovern retires Hayes could find a place there.

West Coast's list is very poor and leading into 2027 with the onset of Tassie....if they don't turn things around soon they'll be in the wilderness for a while. Good luck to them but I have to say this, Sam MacClure was right, why they didn't turn Pick one into 3 picks last year is wild to me. Anyway this isn't the West COast drafting thread but Lewis Hayes.

As for Hayes, it's pretty obvious he won't be offered a contract.

As for Hayes, it's pretty obvious he won't be offered a contract.

How is it pretty obvious?

Weideman is OOC. Reid has had yet another year of injuries. Baldwin has had yet another year of injuries. Laverde is another year older.

Hayes is a 19 year old KPP doing fine at VFL level who still has a few things to work on and some physical maturity to go. Not sure it's at all obvious.

Weideman is OOC. Reid has had yet another year of injuries. Baldwin has had yet another year of injuries. Laverde is another year older.

Hayes is a 19 year old KPP doing fine at VFL level who still has a few things to work on and some physical maturity to go. Not sure it's at all obvious.
Agree. We should be striving to keep Hayes.

Hayes is a 19 year old KPP doing fine at VFL level who still has a few things to work on and some physical maturity to go. Not sure it's at all pretty obvious
You make solid points I’m not going to argue. My take is it won’t happen. If it’s a Hot take/hill to die on - then so be it.

I’ve seen this scenario time and time again and understandably I’m cynical as ****. At the end of the year People will be perplexed he wasn’t offered one. Much discussion will continue and we will all move on.

You make solid points I’m not going to argue. My take is it won’t happen. If it’s a Hot take/hill to die on - then so be it.

I’ve seen this scenario time and time again and understandably I’m cynical as ****. At the end of the year People will be perplexed he wasn’t offered one. Much discussion will continue and we will all move on.
Have you seen Hayes play at all? It’s hard to believe you have honestly. Despite his maturing body and still developing game, most would say he is putting laverde under pressure. He looks an absolute keeper. The question is how we hold onto him, not whether to get rid of him!

AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes - Re-signs until 2026 - 24/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back