Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

bizarre people saying he has poor kicking skills.

McDonald, Wright, McMillan and Atley are all tall running backman that would really dominate playing together in the next two-three seasons.

Are there people still out there thinking Harper still deserves to be in the side over Sammy?
i dont know if the two would fighting for the same spot to be honest.

It was a fair call.......and he did with another great effort.....the penny may have dropped.
Yeah, but when the poster context is one of continual criticism and I have a soft spot for Sammy and there was a sort of alliterative opportunity, well...

Back on topic. I don't think the issue with Sam is about the penny dropping. It's about confidence and, as with all the team, a bit of desperation. He's playing for his career right now, and knows it. So far, so good.

Back it up Sam. (I know you can!) :thumbsu: ;)

Okay let's get something straight, he is 23 years old. Came to the club requiring a lot of work on his upper body, has struggled with consistency in his games, now as I stated it's hard to fault, as well as not get excited about his form since returning to the team. He has been playing for his career and it really shows, if he can consistently play like he has since returning to the 22, with his age being considered, it's very possible that he could take it to much higher levels. He will become a real weapon in our back 6, his kick and defensive ability was first class last night, and I think what's really exciting about him coming on, is that it releases LMac and Atley to become more attacking. There is definitely a chance that he will remain a bit inconsistent, but he has shown why he is worth persisting with, he adds a lot to our team.

I think posters that continually criticise players isn't from the want of hate.......its an opinion of said player. Obviously some go over the top and if people wish to focus their energies on that, thats up to them.
My criticism of Goldstein isn't of hate, its an opinion .......Jack doesn't like Sammy Wright, but in all honesty he wouldn't be on his pat malone there, I had already put him in as trade bait.....but on past performances of the last 2 weeks Ive got him out and back on the shelf again......

Are there people still out there thinking Harper still deserves to be in the side over Sammy?

Very different roles.

I don't think McKenzie or Jacobs have a firm grip on their spot in the side. McMahon is probably touch and go, although I thought he played okay. Bastinac was better the last few weeks and Adams is a bit suspect at present. Mullett being rushed back was probably premature.

As much as I wish every player does well, there are still plenty of opportunities for young kids who have the desire to force their way into the side before finals.

We also have Ziebell, Wells, Grima, McDonald and MacMillan injured who would be in the best 22.

I think Dumont and Wood are most likely to push for a shot, perhaps, maybe Harper if he can extract the digit, while his VFL stats aren't terrible he should dominate that league.

Wright is one of our few fit depth players atm who have any real experience.

Cant deny he played well against the Saints. Was like there was 2 of him out there at stages.

He knows he is gone if he plays poorly. If thats not motivation to better yourself nothing will be

Keep it up Sammy.

Okay let's get something straight, he is 23 years old. Came to the club requiring a lot of work on his upper body, has struggled with consistency in his games, now as I stated it's hard to fault, as well as not get excited about his form since returning to the team. He has been playing for his career and it really shows, if he can consistently play like he has since returning to the 22, with his age being considered, it's very possible that he could take it to much higher levels. He will become a real weapon in our back 6, his kick and defensive ability was first class last night, and I think what's really exciting about him coming on, is that it releases LMac and Atley to become more attacking. There is definitely a chance that he will remain a bit inconsistent, but he has shown why he is worth persisting with, he adds a lot to our team.

Just to add to this, he has never had a full pre season. Let's hope he can get the body right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrights last two weeks have been really solid. Making the most of his opportunity, his position to lose now. This is how the side improves, when players coming back in take their chances forcing others to pick up there game.

With Atley, MacMillan, McDonald, Mullett can be in the mix for a solid back 6-7.

If Wright can keep up the form, I worry for Mullet's place in the team. I realise that they play quite different roles, but I think that the synergy that is being created between Hansen, Firrito, Thompson, Atley, Wright and McDonald is dynamic and one of the biggest positives of the season. A great mix of run and attack but more importantly, each of those players are strong in the one on one contest.

It poses some questions when/if McMillan and Grima are fit.

Unless we know the assigned role it is difficult to assess the game from the coaches point of view. Always interesting to listen to who the coaches singles out for praise.
Comments seem to come from specific questions in the presser, in this case about Sam's form. Rarely, if ever, is he asked 'Who impressed you today?'

I'm one of the posters who has been critical of Sammy, and rightly so. The kid's got talent but for whatever reason, he has not been able to showcase it on a consistent basis which is frustrating for all. I'm rapt that he was able to back up last weeks performance with another cracking game. North Melbourne is better for it when he's on song. Happy to eat humble pie if he keeps delivering that sort of stuff!

I'm one of the posters who has been critical of Sammy, and rightly so. The kid's got talent but for whatever reason, he has not been able to showcase it on a consistent basis which is frustrating for all. I'm rapt that he was able to back up last weeks performance with another cracking game. North Melbourne is better for it when he's on song. Happy to eat humble pie if he keeps delivering that sort of stuff!
My thoughts exactly but much more eloquently expressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back