Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny that people were doubting his kicking skill. It is at a high level, which made that string of missed goals last year even more puzzling.

I think he can play a swingman role. Currently good in defense but might be squeezed out with the return of JMac and Lmac. Wouldn't mind seeing him deep forward or defensive half forward at times.

He needs to stay in defence now, he has found his spot and is very good there if you judge from his last two games. If he can turn those performances into consistent games we have another very good addition to our back 6. Hopefully over time he can have the occasional stint in the forward line to cause a match-up problem for the opposition, but he needs to be given the chance to make the spot in defence his own first.

Funny that people were doubting his kicking skill. It is at a high level, which made that string of missed goals last year even more puzzling.

I think he can play a swingman role. Currently good in defense but might be squeezed out with the return of JMac and Lmac. Wouldn't mind seeing him deep forward or defensive half forward at times.
He and Luke played in the Hawks game; BMac was the missing one. I reckon the competition would be between JMac and Sammy and if Sammy keeps up this form, the spot is his to lose or, if you prefer, it's for JMac to win back.

play him in the back line, doesn't offer enough offensively in the forward line, especially with his set shot kicking going down the toilet.

I'm happy that he has turned the corner, he is a good decision maker and has a damaging kick.

Just needs to maintain the type of output he has shown in the past two weeks. If he drops off he has a lot of players breathing down his neck.

play him in the back line, doesn't offer enough offensively in the forward line, especially with his set shot kicking going down the toilet.

He can get it back imo. Marks very well and at his best is pretty creative near goal. Like his backline work, just needs a bit of continuity up forward and he could start producing again.

Watching Bruest tearing it up for the last two rounds, wow Sam did a good job, l mean Bruest tore apart Smith last night and Smith is almost a lock for AA small defender and has been a consistently good player his entire career. Congratulations to Sam, his well on way on his journey towards becoming a competent afl footballer.

I'd happily see him go forward if the time comes that we can't fit him into the backline.

We are screaming out for someone who actually thinks things through in the forward line. We are desperate for an actual footballer with skills there. I watched Hawks vs Sydney last night and it was so clear how poor our forward line is compared to the best in the competition.

I'd happily see him go forward if the time comes that we can't fit him into the backline.

We are screaming out for someone who actually thinks things through in the forward line. We are desperate for an actual footballer with skills there. I watched Hawks vs Sydney last night and it was so clear how poor our forward line is compared to the best in the competition.

So we just go back to what's stagnating his career?

Stop throwing this guy around and keep him in defence where he has done a couple of very good jobs so far. We need to move players out of the backline to fit him in not the other way around.

So we just go back to what's stagnating his career?

Stop throwing this guy around and keep him in defence where he has done a couple of very good jobs so far. We need to move players out of the backline to fit him in not the other way around.

Nah, there are better options in defence than Wright and I think he played his best football forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then you've got it horribly wrong.

It's either a defensive lockdown role or Werribee.

Nah. If he was left forward to be creative, and convert chances, I reckon his career would've headed on an upward trajectory.

Don't disagree that he's been good the last couple in defence. He has. I really like Wright.

Just IMO (and it's only an opinion), his very best football was a couple of years ago, swaggering through the forward line kicking good goals. But I'm glad to see him in, in any capacity really.

Please God no.

Do we need to revist his 2013 season of missed chances?

He has said so himself that he prefers playing back. Keep him there.

Missed chances >>> No chances

Currently we're generating no chances, so I know what I'd prefer.

And I know that as a club, these days we adore letting players pick and choose what they do on gameday, but seriously just because he likes playing in defence doesn't mean he should be there all of the time.

Well back in the day, Scott McMahon had designs on a coveted midfield spot. Yeah. The days when you had to earn it.

I digress.

I'm not saying shift him there now. I'm saying when other defenders come back and there's too much competition he's (in my humble, although I'm struggling to be humble in the face of being so right all of the time, opinion) even better as a forward.

I'm actually arguing to keep Sammy in the team in some capacity cos I like the dude.

Sheesh.

He's an asset anywhere, and I do agree that he was 'Chad Cornesed' (not given the chance to thrive in any one spot to the detriment of his career, although Chad had runs on the board before he was used as Choco's bandaid), however I felt that he was a really good forward and should have been left there. We have persisted with many inferior players to Sam.

He's doing a great job in defence though, that is for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back