Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

He and Luke played in the Hawks game; BMac was the missing one. I reckon the competition would be between JMac and Sammy and if Sammy keeps up this form, the spot is his to lose or, if you prefer, it's for JMac to win back.

JMac is more your defensive winger than genuine lockdown half back like Wright.

We wouldnt have played Jmac on Breust or Menzel for example.

To me, he is fighting with McMahon for his spot and maybe Firrito if Grima or Tippett come back.

Wright looks fitter, faster and stronger since coming back and his elite ball handling and precise kicking off both feet, makes him a valuable player if in form.

I think it's a good call. I'd like to see him back in the lineup. If his kicking has improved he offers us more going forward than McMahon
But it hasn't and he offers us much less going forward than JMac or Mullett

But it hasn't and he offers us much less going forward than JMac or Mullett

From what I've read Hine has improved all round. Getting more of the ball and better disposal. Apparently has been doing a lot of 1 on 1 work with Gavin Brown (?)

I really liked Hine's tagging ability last year, was apparently one of the statistical stand outs, but offset by his complete lack of damage the other way (in fact was occasionally damaging to us with dodgy disposal)

If he really has improved, I'd love to see him get another chance in the team. At the end of the day, we wont know how he might go until we try.

Max Warren got a game before Hine.

Hine is fast & hard & has a defensive mindset.

We played our eat footy last year with him in the team.

JMac isn't a lock, has never been a lock and will have to find form and his spot back in the team.

JMac isn't a lock, has never been a lock and will have to find form and his spot back in the team.
Never has been a lock despite playing 49 consecutive games until breaking his leg? Hm. Ok.

Yes he is and I like that about him. But he can't kick and therefore will not get a spot on our half back line. Also, Greenwood (and at times others like Basti and Jacobs) are fulfilling the tagging role most of the time so there is no spot in the midfield either

I've never understood the "we played our best (or eat) footy with him in the team" argument (not just for hine but for any player). There were 21 other blokes in the team too (including JMac) and we also had some of our worst losses for the year with him in the team. Unless he was in our top 1-2 players, you can't really say he had a huge influence on whether we played good or bad footy.

As for the last bit...

House.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Warren got a game before Hine.
Max Warren had a full pre-season and hasn't been injured. Hine on the other hand...

I'm not advocating Hine over Mullet or JMac, far from it. But i'd like to see Hine in the team (if he has improved) and with our plethora of injuries an opening may be there

Heading forward I like a backline:

FB Hansen Thompson Wright
HB Atley Grima/Tippett MacMillan

Both Mullett and McDonald moved up the field to help address the same/slowness of our midfield.
Need two McDonalds. Would be an absolute beast of a defender but will be able to influence games more frequently as a mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back