Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have footage or a GIF of some sort of the goal square tackle? cheers

I'll have to check the replay too. I don't remember him "torching it," "rarely hitting a target," or his ball use being "horrific." I remember several very good disposals and at least one great kick.

And I thought that mark was one of his best plays of the night. Should have been a free if it wasn't paid.

I thougt he did well. Interesting that heaps of posters didn't want him selected before the match. I hope he plays on Stevie J in a few weeks. He did the job on him and Goddard within a couple of weeks a couple of years back. Think Goddard even got suspended he was that frustrated.
And Gee the umpires don't like him. 3 times he got the rough end of the stick with the umps and it cost us 3 goals. 1st quarter mark/free kicki not paid. Goal to Hawks. 2nd quarter free kick paid against him when they were both holding each other. 3rd quarter push in the back not paid and another hawk goal.

Just re-watched the game, those stating he "torched it" "horrific" and "barely hit a target" are obviously just bias. I'm not Sammy's biggest fan, but he nullified the in-form small forward of the comp, and saved us multiple times alongside Lachie. It seems that some people are just desperate to find a negative.

Last quarter he had the ball on the clear, twice, forward of centre.. One kick missed two leading players and another was just a bomb to a 3 on 2. Needs to improve his decision making and disposal and lacked a bit of composure. Tackling and pressure was very good tho. Has to compete against a few (good and skillful but inexperienced) youngesters in the hbf/rebounding/shutdown role.

Played with a bit of desperation (please dont confuse this with class) knowing his career is basically on the line. Can he maintain this ferocity and drive weekinweekout

Ps. Wellsy is our best accurate field kick on both feet. And Petrie is our furthest on both. Lets not go silly guys cmon!

Let's not jump straight to the circle jerk here guys. He played a good game with a couple of brilliant individual pieces.

His challenge now is not to stink it up next week. I hope he makes it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His disposal atm maybe a bit off, but when he was at full flight a few years back his skills were good and some media dude in the inside football paper even wrote he could be the best duel sided kick in the comp. now I'm not saying I think that but it shows how good he's kicking can get to.

I wouldn't go as far as some on here about his game, but he was impressive defensively.

Hope he can continue to improve, looked to be a bit quicker also which for someone of his average size/strength is important. Spots will become tight heading to finals so needs to back it up consistently.

Think a checking role is his go - can't be a coincidence his best games are when given an assignment.

Ps. Wellsy is our best accurate field kick on both feet. And Petrie is our furthest on both. Lets not go silly guys cmon!

Wellsy misses more than people think. Quality kick, but inconsistent.

Boomer is our best and most accurate for mine, then NDS. I don't think any of our players are special concerning dual sided.

R162014WrightTackle.gif

Got a coaching background yourself? :p

No, but if I turned out the results that Sammy does, I would expect to be looking for a new job. The kids got talent, I just don't see him use it to his or the teams advantage anywhere near often enough.

He's messed everything up now, after that game we've all seen his best, if he doesn't produce that week in week out he'll be roasted by everyone on here.

I'm still not sold on him but to his credit he has been very good for a couple of weeks now. Without doubt works better as a shut down defender rather then a forward. Needs to play well week in week out, he still has little room for error.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back