1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As someone else has proposed, would Geelong trade their pick 23 for WC's pick 28 and McKinley? Such a deal also ensures that other clubs compensation picks don't downgrade our 2nd rounder. What also has been brought up is quality picks over quantity. WC could probably get a bigger upgrade if McKinley was to be packaged with pick 44, but is the extra pick going to be used, and will such a player be of good enough quality to make it a better option than a player at pick 23.

The proposed deal with Geelong gives WC a good chance at selecting Lamb. With a lot of good talls coming into 1st round pick calculations of late, the chance of Lamb falling our way, if he's not in the top 21 players, is getting more likely. What also makes it more likely for WC to snare Lamb at 23 is the needs of the clubs who'll have picks before ours. Hawthorn, Carlton and Fremantle all need a tall. WB will take their F/S.

For those who can't be bothered to look it up, Heppell got a 14.13 beep test, placing him 6th.
That means he has placed top 10 in both leap tests, the shuttle run and the handball test. Add those results to his clean footskills and decision making and he is a very complete prospect.

Warming to Lynch also. Great mobility and endurance. At 199cm, he could also fulfil the role of a backup ruck to Naitanui in the future.

Get Andrew Gaff or Harley Bennell i hope. I'm expecting Swallow, Day and Bennell to go to GC and dont think we need a player like Darling atm.

I havent seen enough of Gorringe to make a call on him but if his that highly rated he must be doing something right. If we can get Gaff, and a mature age ruckman late in the draft, pre-season or rookie draft that'd be fantastic.

Some guys playing WAFL that could be good for us as a ruckman/third tall just for insurances sake. Think Michael Rix isnt finished as an AFL footballer yet and he is a big unit. Selby Lee Steere is a up and coming ruckman.

Hope we havent wasted a good pick on Monkey Brennan's boy

As someone else has proposed, would Geelong trade their pick 23 for WC's pick 28 and McKinley? Such a deal also ensures that other clubs compensation picks don't downgrade our 2nd rounder. What also has been brought up is quality picks over quantity. WC could probably get a bigger upgrade if McKinley was to be packaged with pick 44, but is the extra pick going to be used, and will such a player be of good enough quality to make it a better option than a player at pick 23.

The proposed deal with Geelong gives WC a good chance at selecting Lamb. With a lot of good talls coming into 1st round pick calculations of late, the chance of Lamb falling our way, if he's not in the top 21 players, is getting more likely. What also makes it more likely for WC to snare Lamb at 23 is the needs of the clubs who'll have picks before ours. Hawthorn, Carlton and Fremantle all need a tall. WB will take their F/S.

That may depend if they opt to use their compensation picks middle round 1 (12,14) and next too their first rounder 23 (24) and if they go after a gun midfielder from another club as they will need first round picks to secure somebody - I think that is probably a little high for Mckinley but who knows

That may depend if they opt to use their compensation picks middle round 1 (12,14) and next too their first rounder 23 (24) and if they go after a gun midfielder from another club as they will need first round picks to secure somebody - I think that is probably a little high for Mckinley but who knows

Dude how many times does it need to be pointed out. Any band 1 or 2 picks used this year will be at the end of the first round. No if's or buts whether its ablett or rex hunt it doesn't matter.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I'm aware, compensation picks couldn't be used in the first round this year.

Compensation picks can be on traded, but that's something which is out of our control.

I don't think the McKinley proposal is OTT. It'd be pointless for WC to trade him away for anything less when pick 28 is involved.

For those who can't be bothered to look it up, Heppell got a 14.13 beep test, placing him 6th.
That means he has placed top 10 in both leap tests, the shuttle run and the handball test. Add those results to his clean footskills and decision making and he is a very complete prospect.

Warming to Lynch also. Great mobility and endurance. At 199cm, he could also fulfil the role of a backup ruck to Naitanui in the future.

With the likelihood of a smaller interchange, that also has a player that is a sub, having two out an out Ruckman becomes a liability. A Ruckman with good competency as a forward is going to be the new black, in the AFL. Clubs with such players will have a distinct advantage once the new interchange rules are applied.

Clubs perhaps could play 2 Ruckman, but with 1 of them being the sub. Each Ruckman only plays half a game, but is rotated with a stop gap if need be. This could allow the Ruckman to play harder, knowing he only has to hold up for half a game. Still, it's not as efficient as the proposal above.

Such players like Lynch and Gorringe are going to be worth their weight in gold, in the future, if they live up to their potential.

Apologies for changing the subject somewhat. I thought I'd air my point while a Forward/Ruckman was being discussed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude how many times does it need to be pointed out. Any band 1 or 2 picks used this year will be at the end of the first round. No if's or buts whether its ablett or rex hunt it doesn't matter.
I may be mistaken, but as far as I'm aware, compensation picks couldn't be used in the first round this year.
Compensation picks can be on traded, but that's something which is out of our control.
I don't think the McKinley proposal is OTT. It'd be pointless for WC to trade him away for anything less when pick 28 is involved.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103436/default.aspx

If Geelong wants to use either of its compensation selections in this year’s national draft it must notify the AFL by Friday, November 5.
no mention it will be at the end of the round

Well Westcoast usually take AIS Players with good beep tests or 3 km times
AIS graduates - we're (supporters) considering for pick 4
Gaff, Atley, Darling, Gorringe

So Gaff is AIS plus good beep tests - Just doesn't fit our normal mould of a player - but that might be good

Atley - not in top 10 of anything

Darling - not testing

Goringe - now 200cm

Heppell - not AIS and 1 sided

I think we put our money on Gaff

Sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. That is the same thing people were saying about Freo selecting Rich.

Okay, you are probably right. Didn't word that properly, i personally just want one of those two. But i haven't seen enough of the rest, im just going off what i have read on here and seen on youtube.

Well Westcoast usually take AIS Players with good beep tests or 3 km times
AIS graduates - we're (supporters) considering for pick 4
Gaff, Atley, Darling, Gorringe

So Gaff is AIS plus good beep tests - Just doesn't fit our normal mould of a player - but that might be good

Atley - not in top 10 of anything

Darling - not testing

Goringe - now 200cm

Heppell - not AIS and 1 sided

I think we put our money on Gaff
One sided?

He tested top for the clean hands skills test so that shows he is certainly dual sided with his hands.

Neither Gaffs nor Heppells kicking were in the top 10 so we can't see their score.

Heppell also ranked top 10 in the beep test though below Gaff.

I really really don't want Gaff.

Seems slow to make decisions and soft.

Like an early Rosa but with better footskills.

Channel Ten reporting that GC have informed Bennell that they will take him in the top three. That lessens the likely hood of them taking Heppell.

Channel Ten reporting that GC have informed Bennell that they will take him in the top three. That lessens the likely hood of them taking Heppell.
Unless they try to pull a fast one with day and take Heppell at 3, then bank on Day's threats to leave for the states allowing him to slip to 5.

I really hope the club would just draft him regardless.

With all due respect, no one cares if his hands are dual sided. Still waitingn for midfield footage of Heppell from TAC.

With all due respect, no one cares if his hands are dual sided. Still waitingn for midfield footage of Heppell from TAC.
No one cares?

What a ridiculous statement.

Of course teams would care if he has a clean pick up and can use his non preferred well.

Its not a static test where they just stand there and handball, its how they collect the ball then execute a hand pass quickly and to the right target with limited time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back