1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why they record the 20m sprint and such on a basketball court anyway, surely it should be done out on a football field. The difference between a perfectly flat, hard and indoor surface and soft, ever so slightly bumpy grass shouldn't be underestimated in terms of running.

Thats a good point there's also no real sidestep in the agility test they just change directions and go the opposite way around posts not really a good simulation of a match scenario. They should have to step to the side then continue in the direction they were heading.

Gaff anyone? His sprint time has begun to turn me. we already knew he could get the ball and dispose of it well. If he's got pace he should be very damaging.
He really doesn't look fast though. Maybe because his tank is so good he's always in space anyway so doesn't need to use it.

Too negative and far too outside.

I don't understand why they record the 20m sprint and such on a basketball court anyway, surely it should be done out on a football field. The difference between a perfectly flat, hard and indoor surface and soft, ever so slightly bumpy grass shouldn't be underestimated in terms of running.
They're measuring power, on grass it just adds too many variables. The agility test should be on grass.

Heppell or Polec for me.
Both are considerably more damaging than Gaff.
Interested to see how each will go in the kicking and endurance tests.

if anyone wants to know Heppel ran 2.998 in the 20m sprint
here's the link:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103442/default.aspx
Thanks for that.

So a quick 20m time. Good standing vertical and running leap. Touted as having good leadership qualities.

Seems to have great decision making and foot skills.

Played very well as a composed HBF in the champs.

Was excellent in the TAC cup and dominated the finals as a midfielder, becoming the joint Morrish medal winner.

Whilst I like the look of Smith......

Yeah i think im set now. Heppell is now my official choice i think. The way he goes about things just screams a west coast pickup. I'm just going to do a back half best 22 and the wings and you can tell me what you all think.

This isn't a best 22 now but how i see it in 2 years time. As in at the end of the 2012 season.

B Schofield E-mac Waters
HB Sheppard Brown Heppell
C Smith Shuey Hurn

Now people say we are at the bottom of the ladder and most of those players are young and or unproven. But on what i've seen and their talent bugger me if that isn't a bloody impressive line up from the middle backwards.

Yeah i think im set now. Heppell is now my official choice i think. The way he goes about things just screams a west coast pickup. I'm just going to do a back half best 22 and the wings and you can tell me what you all think.

This isn't a best 22 now but how i see it in 2 years time. As in at the end of the 2012 season.

B Schofield E-mac Waters
C Smith Shuey Hurn

Now people say we are at the bottom of the ladder and most of those players are young and or unproven. But on what i've seen and their talent bugger me if that isn't a bloody impressive line up from the middle backwards.

I'd probably have Sheppard and Hurn swap, I think he has just show to be a smarter midfielder with a bit more pace.

also
R: Naitanui Kerr Scooter

Preseason optimism FTW.

It'll still more likely be:
B Schofield Glass E-mac
HB Nicoski Brown Waters
C Rosa Priddis Dalziell
R: Cox A.Selwood Ebert

Dude the whole point of testing is to make fair comparisons between players by removing as many variables as possible such as wind, surface, weather etc. This is the basic principles of scientific experiment. Everyone has exactly the same conditions so the only difference is the speed they run at. Whether this testing translates to match conditions is another issue for the recruiters to determine.

Tom Lynch sounds like a good prospect.

Too big a risk for us at 4 though. Does anyone wanna try and trade pick 4 for 9 and 11 as much as me?

The top three
Atley, Gaff, Gorringe, Polec, Smith, Heppell, Lynch, Darling

All the above players could be taken at 4. Why not try and turn pick four into two picks inside the 11 we would get two of the above players instead of 1. If we threw in something good with pick 4 surely GC would have to consider it having the first 5 picks would give them a hell of a lot of certainty.

B Schofield E-mac Waters
C Smith Shuey Hurn

Very nice, like someone mentioned above I would just swap Hurn and Sheppard. The good thing is that we have a lot of flankers in our team who are very flexible in where they can play - so basically they can just rotate HBF/HFF/Mid/Wing when needed.

Heppell can be the better version of Dale Thomas IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very nice, like someone mentioned above I would just swap Hurn and Sheppard. The good thing is that we have a lot of flankers in our team who are very flexible in where they can play - so basically they can just rotate HBF/HFF/Mid/Wing when needed.

Heppell can be the better version of Dale Thomas IMO.

The movement of hurn further back or forward is just personal preference for team structure. Personally think you want your best decision makers, consistant kicks and running players in the back half with your players that have elite footskills in the forward half.

I want hurn to spend the preseason working hard on building more fitness and putting a lot more km's into the tank which i think would see him lose maybe 3-5 kg's at the expense of maybe 3-4 metres on his kicking and some strength but would see him regain a bit more speed,endurance and mobility.

I remember reading an article earlier this year or last where the coaching staff eventually want to use Hurn further up the ground but he was just learning the nuisances of the game at the moment and didn't have the fitness base.

I would love to see Hurn and Lecras eventually become midfielders as they have the potential to be very very damaging and Elite.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103442/default.aspx

The tortoise becomes the hare
Dyson Heppell, the co-Morrish Medallist in the TAC Cup this year, finished outside the top 10 in the 20-metre sprint, but his effort in breaking three seconds is significant. Heppell had been considered slightly slow, albeit with a massive engine, before twice running 2.998 seconds in the sprint. Now he’s considered fast. “I’m more of a decision-maker than a breakaway player,” he said. “But my goal was to break three seconds.”

oops saw it was posted on the previous page, delete

I remember reading an article earlier this year or last where the coaching staff eventually want to use Hurn further up the ground but he was just learning the nuisances of the game at the moment and didn't have the fitness base.

I would love to see Hurn and Lecras eventually become midfielders as they have the potential to be very very damaging and Elite.

I presume that meant Ballantyne, Milne, Baker?:p

apparently the GC are zooming in as well.iT would be interesting if heppell broke the triangle of swallow ,bennell and day.

It actually has occurred to me that they might even gamble that we wouldn't take the risk with Day at 4 so they might take Heppell at 3 and Day at 5, if they really rated Heppell.

It actually has occurred to me that they might even gamble that we wouldn't take the risk with Day at 4 so they might take Heppell at 3 and Day at 5, if they really rated Heppell.

Would love to pick Day

my theory is the GC may try to get pick 4 from us in exchange for Krakouer and pick 9 or something along those lines.

Whoever GG don't take of the 3 they have seemingly locked in, is who WC should take, if GC want to take Heppell in the top 3.

Yer if either bennell or day slid they would be our obvious selection.

On a side note does anyone think it slightly strange that none of day, bennell or swallow are at d camp?

Day is "training in the sanfl and might make an appearance" Bennell "pulled up sore"

I reckon its pretty obvious they've made their decision and have for some reason got them to not participate in draft camp

Yer if either bennell or day slid they would be our obvious selection.

On a side note does anyone think it slightly strange that none of day, bennell or swallow are at d camp?

Day is "training in the sanfl and might make an appearance" Bennell "pulled up sore"

I reckon its pretty obvious they've made their decision and have for some reason got them to not participate in draft camp

All speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go cold on Bennell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back