1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty scrap the Darling idea. This team needs a decent midfield, one more top class youngster is really going to make sure this team has one of the most elite young midfield units in the competition. You could still grab a decent KPP with the 2nd pick.

The options are really down to 2.
Atley/Gaff.
I think Gaff is the way to go :thumbsu: As he is clearly the best midfielder after Bennell who played in the carnival.
What is the use in getting another bloody inside midfielder like Gaff?
Shuey, Swift, Masten, Stevens, Ebert in addition to the experienced ones we already have.
If we were to get a midfielder it would be one we actually have a need for; an outside mid with pace and skills. Atley is much more suited to our needs.

Far more likely to get a good midfielder with our 2nd pick then we are likely to get a good key forward, especially considering that a player we actually have a need for, like Andreoli, could be available at our 2nd pick.

I wouldn't really consider Gaff an 'inside midfielder' - certainly not to the extent of Swift, Shuey, Stevens etc.

He is capable of winning his own ball but does his best work in finding space, linking up with a handball and/or delivering a neat left foot pass.

A very hard running link player with decent pace (although he doesn't really 'break lines'), clean disposal with decent kicking penetration and level headed decision making.

I find Atley a bit 'too reactive' for my liking - his style is more as Colin Wisbey would describe 'predator' (opportunist) than inside or outside. He is a great 'pick-pocket', slippery, capable of a good burst of pace and provides very good defensive and tackling pressure, but overall I wouldn't class him as being as neat with his ball use and decision making as Gaff.

I guess the no.4 pick will depend on who Gold Coast take with Picks 1-3. Any confirmation on those? I assume two will be Swallow and Bennell.

I wouldn't really consider Gaff an 'inside midfielder' - certainly not to the extent of Swift, Shuey, Stevens etc.

He is capable of winning his own ball but does his best work in finding space, linking up with a handball and/or delivering a neat left foot pass.

A very hard running link player with decent pace (although he doesn't really 'break lines'), clean disposal with decent kicking penetration and level headed decision making.

I find Atley a bit 'too reactive' for my liking - his style is more as Colin Wisbey would describe 'predator' (opportunist) than inside or outside. He is a great 'pick-pocket', slippery, capable of a good burst of pace and provides very good defensive and tackling pressure, but overall I wouldn't class him as being as neat with his ball use and decision making as Gaff.

I concur, I think Gaff would complete our midfield, Atley doesn't excite me all that much.

And yes people are wrong to think Gaff is purely an inside mid, he is a very clever footballer.

What would Darling provide us that Wilson can't?

Improved defensive pressure and a better vertical leap/ pack mark. Wilson was a rookie pick, Darling would have to be taken at pick 4.

Upgrade Wilson and forget about Darling.

I concur, I think Gaff would complete our midfield, Atley doesn't excite me all that much.

And yes people are wrong to think Gaff is purely an inside mid, he is a very clever footballer.

Gaff is totally and outside midfielder. The problem is he has no depth in his kicking and average pace. Not ideal for a ball carrier.

His work rate and skills are quality but's he no weapon and never going to be a star.

Gaff isn't any of those things.

I guess the no.4 pick will depend on who Gold Coast take with Picks 1-3. Any confirmation on those? I assume two will be Swallow and Bennell.

1. swallow
2. bennell
3. day

the odds for that wouldnt be paying much probably about $1.20. the top 3 are pretty much locked in. most rumors about one sliding is more just hopeful. i reckon days the only chance to slide if he decides on another sport or puts the pressure on GC about him not wanting to go there.

EH - I should've clarified - I wasn't calling either a strength - he has sound pace off the mark IMO (have seen him produce some good bursts to get to the ball), but he doesn't have the extra gear to carry the ball over longer stretches. I think he is capable of sound kicking penetration, but his preference is to use the ball over the short to medium range on most occassions.

I would prefer him over Atley, but he's not my preferred choice at 4 from what I've seen so far - I would rather Jared Polec if we chose to take an outside midfield prospect.

I would be extremely happy with either of the SA boys; Polec or Smith

My personal preference is Smith. Has the ability to win the hard ball, his first few steps are lightning, has the ability to shrug tackles and is a good kick.

Polec is a little bit more polished and outside, his left foot is exceptional. Probably rates just as quick, if not slightly quicker than Smith, but does not shrug tackles to the same extent.

From past experience, it would not surprise me if Smith captaining SA holds him in good stead with our recruiters...we seem to love captains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff isn't any of those things.

Exactly. Gaff is definitely an outside mid.

However he still doesn't fit our need. We need outside receivers who can run at pace to break lines, and with good footskills. Gaff is not fast, does not have a penetrating kick and is surplus to our requirements.

If we do end up with Gaff I'd hope we'd be looking to trade Ebert or Stevens in the future. Both would have good value.

After watching the big pav in action last night I'm warming to the idea of taking darling. Am I correct in saying the way darling plays reminds me of pav, as I wouldn't really no cause of limited vision. I like the sound of darling at 4 now as I still believe there's a good chance of grabbing a couple of good midfielders (ie Pitt and green) at 26 and 28, where it doesn't look like any decent big guys are going to be around at that stage.

After watching the big pav in action last night I'm warming to the idea of taking darling. Am I correct in saying the way darling plays reminds me of pav, as I wouldn't really no cause of limited vision. I like the sound of darling at 4 now as I still believe there's a good chance of grabbing a couple of good midfielders (ie Pitt and green) at 26 and 28, where it doesn't look like any decent big guys are going to be around at that stage.

I have only seen darling on TV this year.
he seems to struggle for a kick.

What gives?

I have only seen darling on TV this year.
he seems to struggle for a kick.

What gives?

I'm no expert on Darling, but I sometimes look at the WAFL stats on their site and he did get something like 20 touches (and a goal) in one game. I'm not sure where he's used though.

GAFF OR BENNELL - Let us all be the Eagles coaches and recruiters

Okay many have ripped into the coaching staff in 2010 and some even the recruiters.
I believe that Woosh and the recruiters so far have been fairly spot on.

LETS PUT EVERYONE TO THE TEST.
With the current squad. what would members of the Eagles BF decide upon to build on the Eagles squad to get them back to the top.

Like make decisions for teh good of the club.

I can start

Now if the Eagles decide to go for a midfielder.

Which one of these would you think - will be the best for the Eagles

Gaff can play like Luke Hodge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4SNIJN5us&feature=related

Bennell is like a right foot Hill from Freo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mi7Ja-SjAk&feature=related

Now with Sheppard, Hurn able to play quaterback style of football.
Do we need Gaff??
For me I would put Gaff ahead of Bennel because I would put emphasis on Houlihan to be the major line breaker, and would go for another line breaker in round 2 or 3.
I am looking more for a Peter Matera, Andrew McLoud and not a Hill.
Gaff is such a good kick and is left footer. Maybe a little Suban like.
I am also leaning on Swift coming good and STRIJK bursting throught the middle as well.

Am I being too conservative and should go for someone like Bennell?

By the way - how do you insert a video here?

Hoping videos will be posted in this thread

Re: GAFF OR BENNELL - Let us all be the Eagles coaches and recruiters

Gold coast have pretty much committed to Bennell already.

Re: GAFF OR BENNELL - Let us all be the Eagles coaches and recruiters

I reckon we should get Gaff then.

I'm not that keen on Bennel.
If he was left foot then I would be.

I get the feeling we're seriously looking at Darling and despite his recent 'injury' will still be considering him.

I really like the look of Brodie Smith. I know he's not an outside mid, but looks more talented than Atley and Polec at this stage imo. Draft camp will make things clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back