Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

hayden.jpg
Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting to hear that a couple of years ago Horse sounded Dosser out about playing in defence.

Another tidbit: Dos focuses his preparation and training mostly on his forward craft over his ruckcraft (70/30) because he feels like the rucking comes more naturally to him after he rucked all his childhood and was coached about it by his dad who also played ruck.

He was as intimidating and formidable as a toothbrush in the last 30% of the year, thought he was going well earlier in the year. Blues game was a highlight , Freo loss he was good .

I think they just locked the three talls
in for better or worse , was never pressure on the spot.

27 goals as a second ruck/forward. Still looks our most likely contested mark around the ground. Very low down on the list of Swans who are an issue.

Was a non factor as the year wore on though, maybe needed a rest ? where is he playing when forward too, like he is never the depp target that often.

Is there a place to see who is targeted?

Was a non factor as the year wore on though, maybe needed a rest ? where is he playing when forward too, like he is never the depp target that often.

Is there a place to see who is targeted?
I think all the talls' impact faded as the year went on though. I just think McLean has his role and does it well enough and reliably enough, and it's different enough to the others to not need to worry.

I think all the talls' impact faded as the year went on though. I just think McLean has his role and does it well enough and reliably enough, and it's different enough to the others to not need to worry.

Yeah he is a role player but i can't say he improved necessarily

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back