Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Quietly had a very good game.

Yep, thought that was his best since the Eagles game last year.

That free against for running too far was a coin flip, if that led to a goal he's probably close to votes.

Yep, thought that was his best since the Eagles game last year.

That free against for running too far was a coin flip, if that led to a goal he's probably close to votes.

Was an atrocious call, no two ways about it:

Players like Sleevo need a mentor in their life. Especially when they are developing into gun footballers. It's the crucial part of their career that Clarko bangs on about in his player meetings.

I feel like Clarkson has brought his confidence back. It's no surprise Ratten being there has also helped the players build a stronger mentality on gameday too.

Assistant coaches that are proper assistant coaches along with a senior coach can turn player careers around very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this bloke has his detractors and that’s okay but I just wanted to point out that Stevo isn’t going to change and he is what he is.
What I mean by that is that he isn’t your Will Phillips/Jy Simpkin clone who trains hard, is first and last off the track and will be in the leadership group for the rest of his career.
And that’s okay.

The bloke is talented. He can perform on the big stage and just like Thomas and just like Kingy and Pikey in the 90s, these guys aren’t model footballers and will have their flaws, but they are absolutely crucial to the success of the team.

Every sides got them and I wouldn’t get too caught up in conditioning or weekly performances. It’s not a cop out at all but I trust Clarko to get what he needs to out of his players when the time comes. And he will.
Yesterday was a testament to that. Was clean, dangerous and I think hes going to have one of those games soon.

Great game yesterday.

He’s building this year and seems to be thriving under Clarko and co.

I think he’ll always have some frustrating games but if he keeps building as he is they will become anomalies.

That dash forward paid against for 'running too far' was disgraceful.

Daw ran longer than that and kicked a great goal against Richmond in NAB cup 2013...

Trigger happy maggots! Do umpires do thorough video reviews? I feel like they are just simply getting worse and worse. The rule changes make everything a lot worse too because no one (even the umpires) has a clue what's a free kick and what isn't.

Whatever happened to keeping the game as it was 10 years ago? Why did the AFL dick around with the traditional rules they had in place?

I think it was the 3rd quarter, but he had 10m on his defender and the player (was it Sheezel?) did not not kick over the top. Guaranteed goal. Close to a bag, he's playing well.
It was Larkey. Frustrated the hell out of me

My thoughts are being validated, looked a different player in pre-season with his tackling and energy. Just needs the goals to come, it's starting.
Oh and when did he fly for marks like that. Contested 1 vs 2 and brought the ball to ground. Well done Stevo.
Agreed.

I thought watching him in pre-season that he looked angry. If he made a mistake he was extremely dirty on himself. Not so much in the sense where in the past he'd have his confidence sucked completely out of him, but more in the sense of steely determination.
Clarko has him doing the team things, has provided him a role that he understands and can execute and now that he's kicking his goals you know he's enjoying his footy again. He'll still make mistakes and occasionally bite off more than he can chew but they will be much fewer.

As has been mentioned some of those contests he halved, going up against two or more Blues' players were inspiring to see coming from where he's been.

Each game this year has been better than his last. A match winning performance is just around the corner.
That's right. He's been building all year and working on his weaknesses.

He cops it (honestly its probably fair enough earlier this season and in years past,) but yesterday he pushed himself out of his comfort zone and did well. If he keeps this up then he'll have a great season.

But consistency has always been an issue with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back