Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else cringe a little at CS's post game comments, repeating his mantra that we're a club that can look players in the eye and say we'll give you a chance of winning the flag, and the signs are that it will be the same this year? First of all, it's Rd 1.. it's getting ahead of ourselves big time if we think we're a decent chance of a flag after 1 game against an opposition which were far from their best. Secondly, there's growing evidence that we haven't been a genuine flag threat despite finishing top 4 many years. Thirdly, and most importantly, it's the players themselves that give the club a chance of a flag, not the other way around. The whole mentality implies that the players are to some extent "along for the ride".
18 months ago we led a grand final by 3 goals at half time, so I'm not sure the claim "we haven't been a genuine flag threat" is entirely accurate.

Missed all of this skulduggery- thought he spoke very well- calm, sensible, pleasant. Didn’t do a bevo- win-win!

Not sure if the detractors noticed - but he said logically, he agrees with people who say that our players are too old, however, he is aware that some of the issues that our older players have had are to do with injury not age. And the comment about telling players that we'll do our best to put them in a position to compete for a premiership... what's wrong with that? I'm sure most players are after a premiership and to have the backing and focus of a coaching group is a good thing. And he mentioned - and I liked this alot - that the players are the experts in their field and coaches work to facilitate how the players believe they can and should play the game. Once again, in my opinion, this is the correct way to do things.

Then again, I'm sure anyone can find something negative in what he says if they already dislike him.

Missed all of this skulduggery- thought he spoke very well- calm, sensible, pleasant. Didn’t do a bevo- win-win!
Well, actually I didn't mind Bevo's boilover.. I like to see coaches get passionate sometimes. When Ross Lyon did it (denigrated a journo), I feel like it was more calculated and mean. But Bevo had just had enough of this clown and let him know it.

Not sure if the detractors noticed - but he said logically, he agrees with people who say that our players are too old, however, he is aware that some of the issues that our older players have had are to do with injury not age. And the comment about telling players that we'll do our best to put them in a position to compete for a premiership... what's wrong with that? I'm sure most players are after a premiership and to have the backing and focus of a coaching group is a good thing. And he mentioned - and I liked this alot - that the players are the experts in their field and coaches work to facilitate how the players believe they can and should play the game. Once again, in my opinion, this is the correct way to do things.

Then again, I'm sure anyone can find something negative in what he says if they already dislike him.
I'm not a Scott-hater and I agree with you about the comment about treating players as collaborators in game plan etc. I just don't like this mantra of "we" (i.e. the club or coaches?) are going to give "you" (the players) every chance to win it. What does that mean exactly? Is it a way of justifying in advance the recruitment of 30+ year olds each year to try to keep us in contention? Is it saying we need some carrot to tempt those players to join (or to continue playing) beyond just the honour of representing this great club?? It's Rd 1. Just acknowledge that there were some things that worked on field today. The players will determine their own destiny by playing for each other, not for some vague hope of a premiership. And from a club perspective, there's really no shame in acknowledging that the road to the next flag may be a longer one, but that we think we can get there without dropping down the ladder.

well said.

I do genuinely see Scott as a coach who gets 110% out of his players and could squeeze gold out of a shit if anyone can. It is very malthouse esqe in his way, and it self evident with how year after year.. literally... he keeps a side that has probably gone through about 4-6 playing group transitions over his time, consistently a premiership contender.

If you listen to him speak, he is extremely optimistic and does not panic or get overwhelmed by negativity like alot of your everyday common supporters do. He is very down to earth and analytical with his approach. if you want to take a look at an actual arrogant flog, just watch some of Luke bevos pressers.. unbelievable arrogant prick... cant believe people could label scott the same.

It is clear he knows how to install belief and rally the troops to get up and go time and time again, ontop of having a very well sounded game plan and structure that he adapts each year to the trends of the game.

a few things really stand out with him that do not with alot of other coaches.

1. he continually adapts a game plan with new trends that takes his side deep into finals ( prelims, a grand final), he is adaptable and does not have 1 idea that fades away when a new trend sweeps in.
2. he motives at gets the best out of players year after year to keep performing over an extended period of time.

you can see why people who work in the internal circles and have an actual understanding regard him extremely highly, where as a few ( not many, but a few) fans from the stands get very upset.

Well, actually I didn't mind Bevo's boilover.. I like to see coaches get passionate sometimes. When Ross Lyon did it (denigrated a journo), I feel like it was more calculated and mean. But Bevo had just had enough of this clown and let him know it.

I don't think seeing coaches throw unprofessional tantrums like a teenager abusing journalists for doing what every sports journalist in Australia does is something i " mind seeing" and i doubt you or anyone else would like receiving it at a workplace either. Shows an extremely poor arrogant character and lack of discipline. Next time i imagine the AFL will put down a few sanctions

luke bevo abusing a journalist with personal attacks and telling them to get out of the room and not come back = passionate and amazing. Chris Scott saying he is optimistic about geelong's season= arrogant and cringe worthy.

Lol- regardless of it being Morris, bevo was bonkers. And rude. If Scott did that we wouldn’t hear the end of it for the rest of the year.

Yep, really glad he pointed out what had been obvious if we were paying attention- that injuries have been a factor. (see the difference in Dangerfield playing freely for the first time in awhile.) Scott’s approach re the players’ expertise showed maturity. He likes his players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a Scott-hater and I agree with you about the comment about treating players as collaborators in game plan etc. I just don't like this mantra of "we" (i.e. the club or coaches?) are going to give "you" (the players) every chance to win it. What does that mean exactly? Is it a way of justifying in advance the recruitment of 30+ year olds each year to try to keep us in contention? Is it saying we need some carrot to tempt those players to join (or to continue playing) beyond just the honour of representing this great club?? It's Rd 1. Just acknowledge that there were some things that worked on field today. The players will determine their own destiny by playing for each other, not for some vague hope of a premiership. And from a club perspective, there's really no shame in acknowledging that the road to the next flag may be a longer one, but that we think we can get there without dropping down the ladder.
I don’t think it’s a carrot at all. I believe he means “we will do our very best and our part in helping you achieve premiership glory. We’re not a club in the business of giving in to the regular and expected pattern. We will do everything possible to keep contending”.

Lana wrote a great response about why you would recruit mature players using the young/old bad/good spectrum. You don’t need to entice them with a carrot to bring them over and it’s certainly not a justification to recruiting older players.

Scott has a very solid IQ.

He can hold his own with anyone in the game - media, players, coaches, admin.

And he should be coming into his prime as a coach at his current age.

All good for the Cats.

One of the best coaches in the league (if not the best), recognised by so many except a minority of our own supporters.

For top teams the carrot in recruiting is the players who surround you. Which is how we got Issac Smith. if you have more good players you are less reliant on individuals ruining their body to keep your team in contention. Teams that are up by 40 points at half time do less two way running in the 2nd half. Plus it is more enjoyable being a part of a winning team.

Your better players want to stay around and are willing to stay for slight unders knowing that you're bringing someone new in to lighten the load. Good teams have to be smart with who they let go, depth players out of their initial contacts are generally overpaid relative to output, unrealised young talents as well. We've been using them as salary dumps. Clark, Forgarty and Lang were dumped to save an extra 150k above the base wage, that would be most of Issac Smith's wage. A depth player not getting games is just wasted money. Paying for potential is as well. If we had a poll for most overvalued player on our list I suspect that Sav would win in a canter, he is probably being paid close to the same amount as Smith.

If you have a Grundy type angling for the big contract, something has to give. Either someone doesn't get replaced or someone gets forced out. Double wammy if someone gets forced out and the person you bring in becomes a dud.

Rebuild should be an ugly word in a club, it is an acknowledgement that the club is trying to rush everyone (players, coaches and support staff) out the door as quick as possible. Absolute cancer for a culture.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a carrot at all. I believe he means “we will do our very best and our part in helping you achieve premiership glory. We’re not a club in the business of giving in to the regular and expected pattern. We will do everything possible to keep contending”.

Lana wrote a great response about why you would recruit mature players using the young/old bad/good spectrum. You don’t need to entice them with a carrot to bring them over and it’s certainly not a justification to recruiting older players.
Sure. Not meaning to rehash old arguments. Yes, I take it as "we will never go full rebuild". That's fine- a unique and admirable enough philosophy, though I'm not sure how sustainable. Of course every club does its best to achieve ultimate success. And of course there's nothing wrong with telling the players he has faith in their ability to contend again for a flag this year. I'd expect him to. It's just, why make a point of telling this to the media at every opportunity? Is he trying to convince himself of the fact? Who's honestly thinking of premiership glory right now in March? Some players are no doubt just hoping to be selected to play a single game.

For top teams the carrot in recruiting is the players who surround you. Which is how we got Issac Smith. if you have more good players you are less reliant on individuals ruining their body to keep your team in contention. Teams that are up by 40 points at half time do less two way running in the 2nd half. Plus it is more enjoyable being a part of a winning team.

Your better players want to stay around and are willing to stay for slight unders knowing that you're bringing someone new in to lighten the load. Good teams have to be smart with who they let go, depth players out of their initial contacts are generally overpaid relative to output, unrealised young talents as well. We've been using them as salary dumps. Clark, Forgarty and Lang were dumped to save an extra 150k above the base wage, that would be most of Issac Smith's wage. A depth player not getting games is just wasted money. Paying for potential is as well. If we had a poll for most overvalued player on our list I suspect that Sav would win in a canter, he is probably being paid close to the same amount as Smith.

If you have a Grundy type angling for the big contract, something has to give. Either someone doesn't get replaced or someone gets forced out. Double wammy if someone gets forced out and the person you bring in becomes a dud.

Rebuild should be an ugly word in a club, it is an acknowledgement that the club is trying to rush everyone (players, coaches and support staff) out the door as quick as possible. Absolute cancer for a culture.
I thought we got Smith because his partner wanted to live in Geelong?

Sure. Not meaning to rehash old arguments. Yes, I take it as "we will never go full rebuild". That's fine- a unique and admirable enough philosophy, though I'm not sure how sustainable. Of course every club does its best to achieve ultimate success. And of course there's nothing wrong with telling the players he has faith in their ability to contend again for a flag this year. I'd expect him to. It's just, why make a point of telling this to the media at every opportunity? Is he trying to convince himself of the fact? Who's honestly thinking of premiership glory right now in March? Some players are no doubt just hoping to be selected to play a single game.
The media ask the question and he just answers the question. If you listen - the question is specifically about the age profile and contending again. He doesn’t volunteer it. He speaks freely, unlike other coaches who are gruff or sarcastic.

In addition to this - recruitment of some players actually occurs over several seasons. So they have to plan 2-3 years ahead to have draft picks and salary available for someone like Cameron. It becomes very complex, but the point of needing to and wanting to stay in contention remains.

And of all the clubs at the moment - we’re the ones renowned for not dropping. That idiot Luke Darcy says it at every turn. It’s almost a mantra now “oh look, Geelong are up there once more, and they’re the oldest team yet again. They refuse to give in to equalisation”.

By now it’s probably a marketing strategy that we operate outside the natural order of things.

On a side note - I’m sure there is a correlation between being the oldest team in the comp (over the last 20 years) and playing in the finals.

Generally, the younger a team, the most likely they will be down the very bottom of the ladder.

I assume the complaint is that we dont always have the right age profile for a premiership win. However youre probably more likely to win a premiership having an older team than a younger team. And the chances probably increase with good older players in your team, coupled with good coaching and player management. Lastly, it would be very hard work to try and get the age profile perfect and have a good team. I’m sure you could eject lots of older players out and draft a bunch of 18 year olds and dramatically change the age profile - but you won’t be contending for a premiership with a team full of inexperienced and physically (and cognitively) incapable players.

Just an assumption.

I think after one game against an insipid opponent we better temper the glorification of Scott. At the end of the day he’s still won only the one flag in his tenure here.

On a positive note it was good to see a more direct movement of the footy. However we’ve seen this before early in the season, only for us to revert back to a more conservative, defensive game plan later in the year.

I’d like to see this year be seen as an opportunity to remain competitive but also as the year to get games into a raft of younger players. The naming of Dahlhaus and Higgins was disappointing in front of Evans and Stephens. Dahlhaus was ok and probably franked the coaches confidence in his selection but Higgins was ordinary and responsible for a number of turnovers with poor disposal or fumbly play.

Just about every other team is playing their kids. De Koning and Holmes show that it can be done without affecting team performance. Holmes has already cemented his place. Love his one touch. Get Stephens in whilst he can play and learn from Selwood and Danger. With Parfitt, we’d all of a sudden have a useful inside brigade with a mix of youth and experience. It would also allow better management of Selwood’s season allowing him to play more minutes as a half forward.

Anyway, my two bobs worth. Let’s see after this Friday if the mob are similarly as optimistic hey!

I think after one game against an insipid opponent we better temper the glorification of Scott. At the end of the day he’s still won only the one flag in his tenure here.

On a positive note it was good to see a more direct movement of the footy. However we’ve seen this before early in the season, only for us to revert back to a more conservative, defensive game plan later in the year.

I’d like to see this year be seen as an opportunity to remain competitive but also as the year to get games into a raft of younger players. The naming of Dahlhaus and Higgins was disappointing in front of Evans and Stephens. Dahlhaus was ok and probably franked the coaches confidence in his selection but Higgins was ordinary and responsible for a number of turnovers with poor disposal or fumbly play.

Just about every other team is playing their kids. De Koning and Holmes show that it can be done without affecting team performance. Holmes has already cemented his place. Love his one touch. Get Stephens in whilst he can play and learn from Selwood and Danger. With Parfitt, we’d all of a sudden have a useful inside brigade with a mix of youth and experience. It would also allow better management of Selwood’s season allowing him to play more minutes as a half forward.

Anyway, my two bobs worth. Let’s see after this Friday if the mob are similarly as optimistic hey!

It’s interesting that any game we lose anytime is proof of how negative his influence is but any game we win ‘we shouldn’t read too much into.’
What should he have done on the weekend, coached us to a defeat?

It’s interesting that any game we lose anytime is proof of how negative his influence is but any game we win ‘we shouldn’t read too much into.’
What should he have done on the weekend, coached us to a defeat?

You don’t take one game, win or lose in isolation and make an assessment. I want to see at least another 6-8 games to determine whether we will see anything different this year. Finals success this year is a forlorn hope. I’m more interested in seeing us migrate both our game style and to a more youthful 22 by season’s end.

Last edited:
You don’t take one game, win or lose in isolation and make an assessment. I want to see at least another 6-8 games to determine whether we will see anything different this year. Finals success this is a forlorn hope. I’m more interested in seeing us migrate both our game style and to a more youthful 22 by season’s end.

We all do but that hasn’t happened yet all we can go on is what has happened and so far it looks like we have made some adjustments to tactics and personnel and it worked

No one is saying ‘wow look at this game against a mediocre team for proof that we have the best coach ever’ it’s simply a case of saying that so far it looks like things have changed a bit for the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back