Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

We all do but that hasn’t happened yet all we can go on is what has happened and so far it looks like we have made some adjustments to tactics and personnel and it worked

No one is saying ‘wow look at this game against a mediocre team for proof that we have the best coach ever’ it’s simply a case of saying that so far it looks like things have changed a bit for the better.

Fair enough. But as I said in my first post I’ve seen it before. Was great to watch a more attractive and effective game style. See now whether we can continue it.

You don’t take one game, win or lose in isolation and make an assessment. I want to see at least another 6-8 games to determine whether we will see anything different this year. Finals success this is a forlorn hope. I’m more interested in seeing us migrate both our game style and to a more youthful 22 by season’s end.

It was still a great sign though. The first time we had the coach publicly admit he needs to change things and then we went out and deliberately implemented that. We saw very little of it in the practice games. In fact, the match against Gold Coast a few weeks was devastating as it looked like nothing had changed at all.

Ironically, it was Essendon who were forced into playing a slow over-possession game style due to so many forwards missing.

As has been discussed many times before there is nothing wrong with playing a deliberate possession based game when you have the players to do it. Hawthorn for all their exciting players, were very methodical and their side was stacked with players on every line who were incredibly reliable by foot and didn’t miss targets. We have maybe 5-6 players that I implicitly trust to dispose with ball in hand and arguably the two best are our forward spearhead and our defensive general. You need more than that to be able to pull off what we were aiming at. I loved seeing some passages on the weekend where all our players regardless of experience or age were just barrelling onto cntests, winning the ball, getting it to half forward and because we had moved the ball quickly it THEN created time for the crucial inside 50 kick to be measured and sent to the right spot. If we can continue that and have a player as good by foot as Duncan come back and have that time going into the 50 to spot up targets it could make a huge difference.

On a positive note it was good to see a more direct movement of the footy. However we’ve seen this before early in the season, only for us to revert back to a more conservative, defensive game plan later in the year.

I’d like to see this year be seen as an opportunity to remain competitive but also as the year to get games into a raft of younger players. The naming of Dahlhaus and Higgins was disappointing in front of Evans and Stephens.
Dahlhaus yes. Albeit he played alright, would have preferred Cooper.

Evans is meh to me atm.

I think after one game against an insipid opponent we better temper the glorification of Scott. At the end of the day he’s still won only the one flag in his tenure here
Won the flag he was expected to and overachieved to get an average squad deep in finals for years.

Even after the game the rhetoric was about how insipid Essendon were and not about how it was Geelong that MADE THEM be that way.

You don’t take one game, win or lose in isolation and make an assessment. I want to see at least another 6-8 games to determine whether we will see anything different this year. Finals success this year is a forlorn hope. I’m more interested in seeing us migrate both our game style and to a more youthful 22 by season’s end.
We may have average games coming up and that's okay. As CS pointed out, they are focused on maximising their strengths this year and even if our weaknesses are exploited, they wont be reactionary and still stick to their plan. This is what I want to see. Not sure if anyone has read the story of the Chinese farmer, but it is an apt parable for this situation. While we on this forum may be on a high after Round 1, CS, his coaching team and the team itself will not be. It's pleasing to see things work, but when they don't - you need to have the same attitude. This is something we hear all the time from quite a few coaches - except Bevo who expects to win every match and cracks it badly when they don't.

For top teams the carrot in recruiting is the players who surround you. Which is how we got Issac Smith. if you have more good players you are less reliant on individuals ruining their body to keep your team in contention. Teams that are up by 40 points at half time do less two way running in the 2nd half. Plus it is more enjoyable being a part of a winning team.

Your better players want to stay around and are willing to stay for slight unders knowing that you're bringing someone new in to lighten the load. Good teams have to be smart with who they let go, depth players out of their initial contacts are generally overpaid relative to output, unrealised young talents as well. We've been using them as salary dumps. Clark, Forgarty and Lang were dumped to save an extra 150k above the base wage, that would be most of Issac Smith's wage. A depth player not getting games is just wasted money. Paying for potential is as well. If we had a poll for most overvalued player on our list I suspect that Sav would win in a canter, he is probably being paid close to the same amount as Smith.

If you have a Grundy type angling for the big contract, something has to give. Either someone doesn't get replaced or someone gets forced out. Double wammy if someone gets forced out and the person you bring in becomes a dud.

Rebuild should be an ugly word in a club, it is an acknowledgement that the club is trying to rush everyone (players, coaches and support staff) out the door as quick as possible. Absolute cancer for a culture.
Just on the word rebuild, he actually did say "the part I'm most proud of is that our consistency has been off the back of a complete rebuild", pointing out that we've done it with cat b rookies, irishmen and late picks. Interesting that he mentioned it with a degree of hindsight, saying "no-one likes to use that word in the early days".

Evans is meh to me atm.

Won the flag he was expected to and overachieved to get an average squad deep in finals for years.

Even after the game the rhetoric was about how insipid Essendon were and not about how it was Geelong that MADE THEM be that way.

I thought Danger, Selwood and Parfitt were terrific for us in the middle. Hawkins and Stengle forward. Stewart his normal admirable self down back. Holmes very good with his involvement in the chains of play. Close was ok too. But the Bombers were bloody deplorable. Weak. Soft. There were a number of times they should have punished us but didn’t through terrible disposal or an unpreparedness to put their head over the ball. I think we played well but I was more impressed with the Demons and Blues from the games I watched on the weekend.

Just watching footy classified from last night, and they are talking about scott’s contract.

It hasn’t been signed, and audio from a hocking radio interview says they are still working through details regarding membership numbers that are linked to scott’s contract. Looks like the club expects scott to promote the club and try to help get members.

Are they unhappy with the way he comes across, and unhappy with the gamestyle he has had and the unhappiness it has caused sections of the member base? Seems like there is some friction there.

Seems highly unusual to link membership numbers to a coaches contract.

Just watching footy classified from last night, and they are talking about scott’s contract.

It hasn’t been signed, and audio from a hocking radio interview says they are still working through details regarding membership numbers that are linked to scott’s contract. Looks like the club expects scott to promote the club and try to help get members.

Are they unhappy with the way he comes across, and unhappy with the gamestyle he has had and the unhappiness it has caused sections of the member base? Seems like there is some friction there.

Seems highly unusual to link membership numbers to a coaches contract.
When he was first hired, they were immensely impressed that he was studying his MBA and that he could link the commercial and playing sides of the club together. It makes perfect sense that he and the club have gone for top 4 finishes, trying the jag a premiership while at the same time growing membership through the feeling of being part of a top club.

When he was first hired, they were immensely impressed that he was studying his MBA and that he could link the commercial and playing sides of the club together. It makes perfect sense that he and the club have gone for top 4 finishes, trying the jag a premiership while at the same time growing membership through the feeling of being part of a top club.
You got it. Synergy..bibble bibble....economic growth...bibble bibble....success....(I wish I was up on the lingo) :embarrassedv1:

This is the Chris Scott thread...not the Daisy Pearce thread which was closed until Daisy announced she was indeed joining the Geelong coaching panel. As far as I know, that decision hasn't been announced.

Shifting the subject to here doesn't work. Back on topic please.

You don’t take one game, win or lose in isolation and make an assessment. I want to see at least another 6-8 games to determine whether we will see anything different this year. Finals success this year is a forlorn hope. I’m more interested in seeing us migrate both our game style and to a more youthful 22 by season’s end.

Same old shit from Scott. He’s a stubborn, pig headed coach. Completely lost interest in this year almost now. Prioritising games to a 34 year old has been that came to us for the cash rather than a kid who really wants it is enough for me.

6-8 turned to 1 pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right. Let's give him ten years more then discuss.

Deer Popcorn GIF

Evans is meh to me atm.

Jfi, did you see the Essendon team on Friday pm? The way they played, and Stringer back in, they would have beaten most teams.
The results of Most games every week are circumstantial, and we are so overreactive to a game in isolation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back