Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to love AFL supporters, biggest nuff nuffs in the main
Our list at the moment has:
Stewart genuine quality defender
Hawkins a very good forward, who doe not kick enough goals,
Then Danger who has been injured most of this year and is A class
Then Duncan who is a star, but is injured most of this year
Then there is Guthrie who 99.95% of this board wanted sacked 3 years ago, is having an average year
Then there is Menengola who is like Guthrie

Our list is not that good, we have elite talent, but no depth

We have convinced the world that Narkle is a star, yet no one wanted him for free last year
We are rambling about Constable who really is a poor man's HS

Cooper is injured, Clark has been injured, and is not damaging enough

The small forward we desperately need is playing for the Lions and we gave him away, and the ruckman we had and who would have saved us, and potentially been the GF icing was snatched by the swanettes.

With all this there is luck, and recruiting.

Love Scott or hate him, his record is immense. We have been privileged, and we will never see a period of success like this.
Wake up.

Seriously dont buy into the Clarkson rubbish, the hawks were shite this year for the main part.
As for Scarlett being ready says who, Collingwood just hired someone who spills water because he is so nervous.

Then there is Guthrie who 99.95% of this board wanted sacked 3 years ago, is having an average year

We have convinced the world that Narkle is a star, yet no one wanted him for free last year

The small forward we desperately need is playing for the Lions and we gave him away, and the ruckman we had and who would have saved us, and potentially been the GF icing was snatched by the swanettes.

Love Scott or hate him, his record is immense. We have been privileged, and we will never see a period of success like this.
Wake up.

Seriously dont buy into the Clarkson rubbish, the hawks were sh*te this year for the main part.
As for Scarlett being ready says who, Collingwood just hired someone who spills water because he is so nervous.

guthrie has never looked the same to me since his shoulder. hurt factor has gone down massively and his contested work is not existent.

right game plan, not enough talent. besides a media article here or there from apparently nick riewoldt who is just a media personell now, maybe kane cornes will throw in an article as well who knows, but from AFL coaches who are in the best position to make that call, he is generally regarded as one of the AFL's best tacticians.

im all open for a discussion about the game plan as its an area of footy i enjoy analysing more so than selections or individual performances.

tell me your thoughts why it is not the right game plan or why you think it is? i am assuming you think its crap

I actually think this version of Scott’s game plan is the best we’ve had for a while. Not perfect but I don’t think it’s the main reason we aren’t getting the job done. I’ve been saying for years now that we have a few players that let us down every finals series and should have been cut. That we should have tried harder to inject some younger players into our 22.That we shouldn’t have wasted picks or list space on the likes of Higgins. Dahlhaus and Steven.

I think Scott has put far too much trust in a group of senior types. Which I imagine has resulted in frustration amongst some of our younger players.

As a few have said, I’d bet that Scott leaves our list devoid of much young talent which will take years to repair. Ongoing topping up hasn’t worked.

Wake up.

Seriously dont buy into the Clarkson rubbish, the hawks were sh*te this year for the main part.
Period of success? We haven’t won anything in a decade.

I actually think this version of Scott’s game plan is the best we’ve had for a while. Not perfect but I don’t think it’s the main reason we aren’t getting the job done. I’ve been saying for years now that we have a few players that let us down every finals series and should have been cut. That we should have tried harder to inject some younger players into our 22.That we shouldn’t have wasted picks or list space on the likes of Higgins. Dahlhaus and Steven.

I think Scott has put far too much trust in a group of senior types. Which I imagine has resulted in frustration amongst some of our younger players.

As a few have said, I’d bet that Scott leaves our list devoid of much young talent which will take years to repair. Ongoing topping up hasn’t worked.

The gameplan exacts a standard of skill with the ball, combined with steadfast composure under pressure, that continues to exceed the capabilities of our list.

Our composure is fragile, and it inevitably cracks in the face of finals intensity. With it goes our ball skills, as the two are intertwined.

The continuing inability to keep it together feeds a growing self doubt, and when the cracks open mid-game their focus, desire and intensity falls away, and they're overrun.

Was the decision to top up rather than go for a more traditional build Scott's decisions or Cooks and the board ?

People tend to forget that the club has taken on a significant amount of debt over recent years. They have done so for a good reason to put money into our stadium that will ensure long term we are in a good financial position. However we still have financial obligations to meet in the short term.

Period of success? We haven’t won anything in a decade.

It would be really y naive to think we could of played finals and made the final 4 as often as we have without a really good coach and the club making more good decisions than bad.

We came undone in 2019 and 2020 against a great side that won three flags. You than add in that in other seasons such as this year we didn't have luck on our side with a fully fit list which is simply what we need to go all the way.

Was the decision to top up rather than go for a more traditional build Scott's decisions or Cooks and the board ?

People tend to forget that the club has taken on a significant amount of debt over recent years. They have done so for a good reason to put money into our stadium that will ensure long term we are in a good financial position. However we still have financial obligations to meet in the short term.

I’d assume it wasn’t a unilateral decision. But I’m sure Scott would have driven the desire to bring experienced players into the club rather than recruit youth via the draft.

I’m not quite that cynical to think that the desire to stay competitive at the top end is to get more members, $ and therefore pay off debt. I genuinely think that the powers identified weaknesses or holes we had in our list and thought that by patching them with Smith, Higgins etc we might bridge the gap between us and the best.

I’d assume it wasn’t a unilateral decision. But I’m sure Scott would have driven the desire to bring experienced players into the club rather than recruit youth via the draft.

I’m not quite that cynical to think that the desire to stay competitive at the top end is to get more members, $ and therefore pay off debt. I genuinely think that the powers identified weaknesses or holes we had in our list and thought that by patching them with Smith, Higgins etc we might bridge the gap between us and the best.

I agree about last year but that is to be expected from a club who lead at half time in a grand final.

Last year our finals performance had improved. We were much more competitive against Port, we smashed Collingwood, beat the lions at the Gabba and were level at 3 quarter time with a triple premiership side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps what we need to do is look at the term "success"....

All year we hear how teams are fighting to make finals...we hear how teams are striving to make top 4...if you achieve this in an 18 team competition it's a success..

But as Down at K Park points out..it is not the ultimate success and it's frustrating to get close but fail when it's so close.

I felt the same as DAKP in the 80's and 90's..how could we not win with GAS, Couch, Stoneham, Hocking..etc etc..??..but we didnt...

Maybe that's why I'm less worked up about our present malaise..but the desire to see us snag one is till very much there...

The thing with Scotts position - and he does deserve credit for all the h/a wins ( plus the 11flag ) however Premierships are the name of the game

And you could ask every coach in the history of AFL/VFL - and not one of them would complain if they were moved on after being given 10 years to win a premiership - that length of time - theyd all say its fair and reasonable - give someone else a chance at it

It would be really y naive to think we could of played finals and made the final 4 as often as we have without a really good coach and the club making more good decisions than bad.

We came undone in 2019 and 2020 against a great side that won three flags. You than add in that in other seasons such as this year we didn't have luck on our side with a fully fit list which is simply what we need to go all the way.

We never had a fully fit list in any of our premiership years. Never even had a best 22 out there. Most sides don't. Injuries happen, your list has to have depth for just that reason.

The thing with Scotts position - and he does deserve credit for all the h/a wins ( plus the 11flag ) however Premierships are the name of the game

And you could ask every coach in the history of AFL/VFL - and not one of them would complain if they were moved on after being given 10 years to win a premiership - that length of time - theyd all say its fair and reasonable - give someone else a chance at it

Exactly this. Deserves just as much praise for wins as criticism for losses. But ultimately you get judged on flags. And after a decade at the helm, you can't say you haven't had the opportunities or don't have the players - particularly with where we've finished and how many names we've brought in.

Exactly this. Deserves just as much praise for wins as criticism for losses. But ultimately you get judged on flags. And after a decade at the helm, you can't say you haven't had the opportunities or don't have the players - particularly with where we've finished and how many names we've brought in.
People focus on how much Chris Scott has bought to the club. And fair enough. Greatest H&A record of all time.
But people very rarely focus on what the club has bought to Chris Scott.
It's a hell of a lot. Players, stability, new facilities, flexibility and one of the most, if not the most well run club in the country.
He has had as great opportunity, time and backing to implement whatever plans he has had for the team as any coach you'll see.

We don't have depth, the list is too old, our bottom 6 continually fluff their lines under pressure. Clearly something has to change - you can't say it's just bad luck year after year.

I do find it interesting the CS when asked about history hates going back and looking at our record.. He say so many things are different . Its a different side, different players ... thats true but it only makes me think about what has not changed...what is a factor that is the same with all the finals losses in recent years.

This is make or break for our club - if we don't win the next 3 games/premiership from here we are down sh*t creek. We already carrying a few wheelchair bound older blokes, our youngsters are not exactly setting the world on fire, our marque forward looks like he has one leg - can hardly run or bend over, let alone chase and lay a tackle. Time for our recruiting strategy to pay the piper - from this point on we are not going to improve given our age and list profile. This is it - lets see if they are actually weak as piss like the performance on Friday. Prove me wrong Chris - please.

So we’ll be in same situation Brad left North in and that’ll see Scott gone I reckon in a month he’ll go. We’re not winning this year so I reckon he’s had jack of Geelong as well and coaching. Maybe he’ll go to Carlton. I don’t think for a second that Hocking will hesitate to push if he thinks that’s right way to go. Public statements have been trying to keep him but I wonder if he himself really wants to go on that the Cats. Just doesn’t look enthused anymore. We’re holding on by our finger nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do find it interesting the CS when asked about history hates going back and looking at our record.. He say so many things are different . Its a different side, different players ... thats true but it only makes me think about what has not changed...what is a factor that is the same with all the finals losses in recent years.
I reckon that subtext is intended by him (“if you want to blame anyone, blame me”). That public messaging is meant to take pressure off the current group of players.

So we’ll be in same situation Brad left North in and that’ll see Scott gone I reckon in a month he’ll go. We’re not winning this year so I reckon he’s had jack of Geelong as well and coaching. Maybe he’ll go to Carlton. I don’t think for a second that Hocking will hesitate to push if he thinks that’s right way to go. Public statements have been trying to keep him but I wonder if he himself really wants to go on that the Cats. Just doesn’t look enthused anymore. We’re holding on by our finger nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carlton are ready to play finals. They have the list and a crop of players with 100-125 games experience so why wouldn't Scott look strongly at that prospect?
It would also enhance his coaching record. I think it would be a great situation for both parties involved.

guthrie has never looked the same to me since his shoulder. hurt factor has gone down massively and his contested work is not existent.
Same happened to Varcoe for a while after his one of his multiple shoulder injuries- took a whole season before he could run down guys like Buddy.
I could watch this every day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back