20 year Pokies licenses for 5 AFL Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond is still in the early stages of setting up its Aligned Leisure group.
It needs the pokies money as AL is not financially stable.
The Aligned Leisure group made 8,639,721 but it's expenses was 9,622,630.
It's still needs a few more years.

So its ok if clubs get money from the AFL that gets money from gambling ads?

It's not, in my view, but this does not invalidate the original topic creator's argument.

Why does Essendon still need pokies?

It's not, in my view, but this does not invalidate the original topic creator's argument.

Why does Essendon still need pokies?
I am not that in tune with our financial situation but it is a legal way to make money so I don't really care.

If people want to get on their moral high horse about it then they should also be against Crown and tobbaco companies and the liquor industry, yadda yadda yadda.

I personally would make electronic gambling machines illegal since they are rigged with a determined win %

I am not that in tune with our financial situation but it is a legal way to make money so I don't really care.

If people want to get on their moral high horse about it then they should also be against Crown and tobbaco companies and the liquor industry, yadda yadda yadda.

I personally would make electronic gambling machines illegal since they are rigged with a determined win %

I have consistently been on the high horse about those sorts of things, but in any event pointing out deficiencies in other areas does not excuse it. Essendon can operate without pokies, of that I have no doubt.

North manage to make it work without a single cent of pokies money.

I have consistently been on the high horse about those sorts of things, but in any event pointing out deficiencies in other areas does not excuse it. Essendon can operate without pokies, of that I have no doubt.

North manage to make it work without a single cent of pokies money.
How well do they make it work though?

Do they just get by without them without having the extra $ to expand their brand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How well do they make it work though?

Do they just get by without them without having the extra $ to expand their brand?

I do personally believe that forgoing pokies and relying on equalisation handouts from the AFL is preferable to rolling in pokies money and not having to rely on handouts from the AFL. But that's just me.

Richmond is still in the early stages of setting up its Aligned Leisure group.
It needs the pokies money as AL is not financially stable.
The Aligned Leisure group made 8,639,721 but it's expenses was 9,622,630.
It's still needs a few more years.
Without wanting to sound like I'm getting on my high horse because the club I support is getting rid of them (having benefitted from them for many years), but is that really a valid justification for keeping the pokies, particularly for a club of Richmond's size?

I think it's this kind of rationalising that's allowed reliance on pokies to fester and grow for so long across a lot of the AFL. I have no idea how the Bulldogs are managing to phase out the pokies (noting it is a phase out rather than an immediate withdrawal) and still keep their heads above water, but surely if they can then Richmond can too, even before the Alligned Leisure venture turns a profit? Does Richmond really 'need' the pokies cash?

Probably in the minority but I dont have an issue with clubs having pokies linked revenue. It's a legal activity and while some pokies users have gambling addictions some alcohol users suffer from alcoholism but we are perfectly happy for alcohol companies to sponsor.

Same could be said for Crownbet the official betting partner of the AFL.

I dont like odds as part of broadcasts though.

Bit harsh mate. You can tell the gambling agencies genuinely care because they always say "please gamble responsibly" at the end.

More concerned when kids are watching live odds and the potential imbedness it brings. Cant see why we can't watch a game for what it is, save it for the websites or at least after 9pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

20 year Pokies licenses for 5 AFL Clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back