2008 Draft Top 10 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this a joke? Why would Richmond have the first two picks? And Cousins wearing a Richmond jersey? Not a chance, he wouldn't lower himself to playing for a club that wont win a premiership...

Richmond has #1 in the PSD which cousins will be put in...

Richmond loose the rest of the matches and or have a draw they will get them.. depending on what happens with other teams lol..

That's just a possiblity.

1. Essendon - 1. Inside Midfielder 2. Quick/Outside Midfielder 3. Ruckman

2. Melbourne- 1. Ruckman 2. Key Forward (CHF or FF) 3. Quick/Outside Midfielder

3. Fremantle - 1. Inside Midfielder 2. Key Forward (CHF) 3. Inside Midfielder

4. West Coast - 1. Quick/Outside Midfielder 2. Quick/Crumbing Forward 3. Quick/Outside Midfielder or Key Forward (FF)

5. Port - 1. Key Forward (FF) 2. Inside Midfielder 3. Best Available

6. Richmond - 1. Key Forward (FF) 2. Inside Midfielder 3. Ruckman

7. Carlton - 1. Key Backman (CHB) 2. O'Keefe/R.Murphy-type Marking Forward 3. Quick Player

if this is the case ir rekon first round picks may look like:
Essendon: Steele Sidebottom (Inside Midfielder)
Melbourne: Nicolas Natanui (Ruckman)
Fremantle: Rich (Inside Midfielder)
West Coast: Yarran? (Quick/Outside Midfielder)
Port: Rockliff or Watts (Key Forward)
Richmond: Rockliff or Watts (Key Forward)
Carlton: Hurley (Key Backman)

I don't know too much about Rich or Yarran though so yeah...

I would have thought our priority would be:

1. Elite midfielder (All rounder)

2. Small Defender

3. KP Defender

Can anyone suggest some players that fall into these categories?

I'd like us to go the best available midfielder with our first pick (Most likely Rich), and then best available for our 2nd/3rd with the remaining picks looking for a Tall/Small Defenders aswell as a project ruckman.

I'd cream my pants if Hurley fell to Carlton after that many picks.

There will probably be a lot of changing in peoples thoughts on who will be top 10 as that always happens each year. I just had a qiuck go at the AFL Ladder Predictor to see where i feel teams will be placed. There could be a few changes as some upsets will occur but on current form, i think this is how it would stand. Alright, this is the bottom 8 that i have starting at the bottom:

2. Melbourne- 1. Ruckman 2. Key Forward (CHF or FF) 3. Quick/Outside Midfielder

3. Fremantle - 1. Inside Midfielder 2. Key Forward (CHF) 3. Inside Midfielder

4. West Coast - 1. Quick/Outside Midfielder 2. Quick/Crumbing Forward 3. Quick/Outside Midfielder or Key Forward (FF)

5. Port - 1. Key Forward (FF) 2. Inside Midfielder 3. Best Available

6. Richmond - 1. Key Forward (FF) 2. Inside Midfielder 3. Ruckman

7. Carlton - 1. Key Backman (CHB) 2. O'Keefe/R.Murphy-type Marking Forward 3. Quick Player

8. St.Kilda - 1. Key Backman (FB) 2. Quick/Outside Midfielder 3. Quick/Outside Midfielder

I've stated what i think each teams major issues are, feel free to correct me if you think i have gone wrong some where. As i haven't look to far into the prospects this year as yet, can people help me out by throwing names that these teams would likely look at for thier first round pick?

We don't need anymore outside mids, we need some kids that will be almost ready made (Eg. Like Palmer this year) that aren't afraid to go into the contests and win the hard ball...First preference: Inside Mid, second preference: Ruckman, third preference: Outside Mid....Rich would be perfect, but if we finish last the Big Naita will be to hard to pass up on...

Young KP Defenders:
Tayte Pears
Paddy Ryder

Young KP forwards:
Scott Gumbleton
Jay Neagle

Darcy Daniher could be used as either up forward or down back, whichever position we lack in the near future could be his position, it's still a bit unclear, though his form-line up forward for Bendigo is pretty good...

We don't need anymore outside mids, we need some kids that will be almost ready made (Eg. Like Palmer this year) that aren't afraid to go into the contests and win the hard ball...First preference: Inside Mid, second preference: Ruckman, third preference: Outside Mid....Rich would be perfect, but if we finish last the Big Naita will be to hard to pass up on...
Don't you think we have enough inside midfielders? We already have Watson and McVeigh, and surely one/two those of Hislop, Hocking, Lonergan, Monfries will end up making it to help out these two players.

Edit: First preference: Complete Midfielder

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting Essendon would take Steele Sidebottom (who is a great talent) over Nick Naitanui and Daniel Rich?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you think we have enough inside midfielders? We already have Watson and McVeigh, and surely one/two those of Hislop, Hocking, Lonergan, Monfries will end up making it to help out these two players.

Edit: First preference: Complete Midfielder

Hislop, Lonergan & Watson will make it as inside midfielders, Monfries & Hocking have qustion marks to play AFL in the midfield at a really good quality and McVeigh is getting old, though he does have a few more years left in him barring no major injuries occur sometime in the near future...

If the bombers finish last and get pick 1 do we take Rich or Naitunai??

Hmm...Tough question, though slightly leaning towards Saint Nick...
Ryder is not a ruckman at this stage of his career, Lacock is pretty useless and Bellchambers isn't ready to take up the no.2 ruck mantle just yet...Rich would be handy as well though, no doubt about that, as we could do with a bit more quality in the midfield..

Hislop, Lonergan & Watson will make it as inside midfielders, Monfries & Hocking have qustion marks to play AFL in the midfield at a really good quality and McVeigh is getting old, though he does have a few more years left in him barring no major injuries occur sometime in the near future...
Out of all our young midfielders, im confident that Hocking is the most likely to make it along with Hislop. Then we have Lonergan rotating in between their and the FP adding some grunt on top of that.

Watson is a clearance machine, and McVeigh is only 27, so he definately has plenty of years ahead of him.

Sure we are lacking in this area now, but we've recruited well in past years, so in another year or two we should be seeing the great results of our recent drafting of inside mids. We should be fine for the future, our main focus in the midfield now should just be focused on quality, not type.

Hmm...Tough question, though slightly leaning towards Saint Nick...
Ryder is not a ruckman at this stage of his career, Lacock is pretty useless and Bellchambers isn't ready to take up the no.2 ruck mantle just yet...Rich would be handy as well though, no doubt about that, as we could do with a bit more quality in the midfield..
We have Hille as our number ruck who's starting to look quality. All that's needed is a decent backup, and then we can possibly draft a better ruckman to replace Hille a few years down the track.

Hille & Laycock/Bellchambers wouldn't be a bad combo for 5 years or more would it?

We have Hille as our number ruck who's starting to look quality. All that's needed is a decent backup, and then we can possibly draft a better ruckman to replace Hille a few years down the track.

Hille & Laycock/Bellchambers wouldn't be a bad combo for 5 years or more would it?

Yep, Hille is proving a valuable player for our club no doubt...
Other than that, Laycock I can't see progressing much further, a bit in the Kepler Bradley mould, to slow and some of his field kicking isn't exactly skills to admire...Bellchambers might be good, could be our second ruck next year if Laycock goes for a draft pick ;), and then that will leave us with a bit of a depth problem regarding our rucks...Sure we could throw Ryder in the ruck, but as I have previously stated on the Bomber Board his best position for the club for now and in the near future will probably be in the defensive half imo...So Naitanui would be a handy depth ruckman, build his experience in the VFL and possibly upstage Bellchambers for the no.2 ruck spot in a few years later on down the track and looks to have a bright future from watching some of his matches, added footage & expert opinions, not that they always get it right though...

Naitanui is going number 1. certainty. doesn't matter who has the pick

How about if he badly fractures ligaments in his leg, much like Cotchin did last year, sometime throughout now until draft time..? :D

Nuh, I agree with ya, I don't think any club would pass up on Naitanui if they had the no.1 pick...

Essendon would be compelled to take Rich from what I've seen. Nik Nat has speed and athleticism but there are still question marks over his footy smarts. That's been well documented as the grey cloud over him. The EFC would not want to draft someone without a good footy brain being in the state we're in. Rich would be the logical decision.

In regards to the ruck problem, I think Hille/Bellchambers look very good together. Bellchambers is only 18, and he looks athletic, good pair of hands and a smooth kick. Excellent qualities for a back up ruckman.

Wat if essendon finishes last get natanui and trades player/s for a say a pick 2 or 3 and maybe get rich or hurley??

Personally i want to see Melbourne draft Watts with our first pick. Especially if we can land Warnock in the Pre Season draft. Its our forward line that needs the most improvement now

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Draft Top 10 Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back