2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Sandilands was excellent against the Pies, Fraser dominated again by the opposition, but Collingwood still won the clearances. Sandilands close to the number one ruck now for mine, with Cox missing next week as well most likely he may take it, and deservedly so, has had an excellent season.

Didak has missed some games but gee he is in some sort of form at the moment. Broken his own PB for disposals three weeks in a row and kicked two goals, superb stuff.

For the Eagles, LeCras was brilliant again tonight with four goals in the wet and 5 tackles (plus one GOTW contender taken off him by the umpires and their "advantage" interpretation). Surely AA FP at this stage.

And Hurn continues to dominate off half back, spotting up players through the centre of the ground. I don't think he'll make the team yet, doesn't have a high enough profile and there are others in the same position with good seasons, but he has been very good. 26 touches tonight at 100% efficiency in terrible conditions.

Sandilands would be number 2 now. LeCras would be in the FP now. Hurn I'm not 100% certain on. I like 6 key defenders and 6 non key defenders. Goddard, Enright and Gilbert are certanites. Drummond has now missed another game but he will stay in the squad. Davey had a good performance. Duffield was ok against Collingwood. If anyone goes out it will be Duffield.

Shannon Hurn for those wondering

100% disposal efficiency in 100km per hour winds is simply INSANE. Probably dont realise it unless you were there just how good of a feat that is

Shannon Hurn for those wondering

100% disposal efficiency in 100km per hour winds is simply INSANE. Probably dont realise it unless you were there just how good of a feat that is
Yes, he was pretty good. It's between him and Duffield for the last defenders spot. I still can't workout where Joel Corey is playing because I haven't really considered him much this season when I probably should.

Sandilands would be number 2 now. LeCras would be in the FP now. Hurn I'm not 100% certain on. I like 6 key defenders and 6 non key defenders. Goddard, Enright and Gilbert are certanites. Drummond has now missed another game but he will stay in the squad. Davey had a good performance. Duffield was ok against Collingwood. If anyone goes out it will be Duffield.
AUSSIE GUN said:
No doubt. Fevola and Franklin have fallen away. I'll probably put Roughead in for Franklin in the squad. Drummond missing another probably puts some other players in contention for the HB position.
Wait what?

Wait what?
First post should be 'stay in the team'. Now that he has missed two and played a handful of minutes in another means others are catching up. Do you think he can just keep missing games and stay in the AA team? He is one of the best so far and will stay in the team but now he isn't a clear selection as he was early in the season.

Whilst for Collingwood, the players in mention will be Davis, Pendles, Swan and Presti, how about Harry O on a HBF, particularly ahead of Davey or Ray as mentioned in a few sides.

Provides plenty of rebound and rarely gets beaten one-on-one. Is one of the premier mid-sized defenders in the competition.

Whilst for Collingwood, the players in mention will be Davis, Pendles, Swan and Presti, how about Harry O on a HBF, particularly ahead of Davey or Ray as mentioned in a few sides.

Provides plenty of rebound and rarely gets beaten one-on-one. Is one of the premier mid-sized defenders in the competition.
Yes, he would be in contention for the squad. Had a bit of a flat spot a third of the way through the season but has been good the last month. Maxwell is another who has been pretty good recently but he has been loose most of the time. Josh Gibson is another name that hasn't been mentioned much but I've been impressed with him. Patfull might come back into contention as well if he finishes off the season well. Before he got injured he was in contention.

First post should be 'stay in the team'. Now that he has missed two and played a handful of minutes in another means others are catching up. Do you think he can just keep missing games and stay in the AA team? He is one of the best so far and will stay in the team but now he isn't a clear selection as he was early in the season.

If he keeps missing games, he'll definitely lose the spot, but I misread your second post thinking you said he will give up the spot to someone else now.

After that Collingwood match, I find it hard not to put Sandilands as the ruckman, it's just a shame Freo's midfield makes him work so much harder without getting the reward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he keeps missing games, he'll definitely lose the spot, but I misread your second post thinking you said he will give up the spot to someone else now.
Nah, he's been a standout on the HB flank. Plus, the other players contending like Davey and Duffield haven't stood out to take his spot. Duffield had a slow start and Davey had a flat spot before last night. Hurn didn't stand out early.
Some players can miss matches because they are clearly the standout in that position. Scarlett, S.Johnson, Riewoldt, Ablett etc. can all miss 2 or 3 games and stay in the side. Players like Bock can't because the CHB position is too closely contested. That's just my opinion though, I know quiet a few think Bock should be in the team regardless if you miss a certain amount of matches. Didak is the same. Yes, he has been brilliant since returning from injury but Chapman, Higgins, Goodes and Davis have got a massive jump on him.

ALL-AUSTRALIAN SQUAD AFTER ROUND 13:

Defenders (12):
Nathan Bock (Adelaide)
Josh Drummond (Brisbane)
Simon Prestigiacomo (Collingwood)
Chris Tarrant (Fremantle)
Paul Duffield (Fremantle)
Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
Corey Enright (Geelong)
Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Brendan Goddard (St.Kilda)
Sam Fisher (St.Kilda)
Sam Gilbert (St.Kilda)
Craig Bolton (Sydney)

No change

Unlucky: Hurn, R.Shaw, Lake, Hargrave, Glass, O'Brien, Gibson, Morris, Rutten, Kelly, Gilbee.

Midfielder (16, inc. 3 ruckmen):
Chris Judd (Carlton)
Marc Murphy (Carlton)
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
Dane Swan (Collingwood)
Jobe Watson (Essendon)
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)
Gary Ablett (Geelong)
Joel Selwood (Geelong)
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
Lenny Hayes (St.Kilda)
Leigh Montagna (St.Kilda)
Nick Dal Santo (St.Kilda)
Darren Jolly (Sydney)
Dean Cox (West Coast)
Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs)

No change.

Unlucky: Bartel, McIntosh, Edwards, S.Thompson, A.Selwood, J.Bolton, Power, Black, Jackson, Corey, Hasleby.

Forwards (12):

Jason Porplyzia (Adelaide)
Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
Brendan Fevola (Carlton)
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Adam Goodes (Sydney)
Mark LeCras (West Coast)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs)

In: Jarryd Roughead, Jason Porplyzia
Out: Lance Franklin, Jason Akermanis

Unlucky: Franklin, Akermanis, Tredrea, Giansiracusa, Betts, Koschitzke, Pavlich, B.Johnson, Lockyer, O'Keefe.

ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM AFTER ROUND 13:
B:
Sam Gilbert - Matthew Scarlett - Simon Prestigiacomo
HB: Corey Enright - Sam Fisher - Josh Drummond
C: Leigh Montagna - Chris Judd (vc) - Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis - Nick Riewoldt (c) - Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson - Jonathan Brown - Mark LeCras
R: Dean Cox - Lenny Hayes - Gary Ablett
INT: Aaron Sandilands - Brendan Goddard - Joel Selwood - Adam Goodes

In: Mark LeCras, Aaron Sandilands
Out: Cyril Rioli, Darren Jolly

EMG: Darren Jolly; Matthew Boyd; Cyril Rioli

Scarlett had another very good game. With Bolton missing again and Tarrant having an average match, Presti and Fisher keep their spots. Fisher hasn't been as good as he was earlier in the season but no one else has jumped out of the pack to take his spot. Bock is still behind and was ok against Sydney but nothing special. Drummond is no longer a clear choice but keeps his spot because he has been the best off the HB line this season. Missing 3 games would bring guys like Davey back into the equation but he only played back into form last night. Enright and Gilbert both had good games. Enright is having his best season and would be challenging for the Geelong B & F.
The midfield is the same as before. Sandilands comes in as the number 2 ruckman and with Cox expected to miss next week, he could be number 1 if he plays well next week. Boyd is probably the next midfielder who would come in. Swan has started to really push for selection.
Up forward Brown has taken a clear lead in the FF race. Buddy and Fevola were nothing special on the weekend. LeCras is having a very good season and deserves to be selected as the FP. Injury and lack of goals probably gives LeCras the advantage over Rioli. Chapman had another good game to cement his spot in the team. The forward line is starting to become pretty straightforward and I can't see a lot changing for the next 9 rounds.

In regards to the squad some people might question Franklin but I think he has fallen away again. Roughead has to work harder for his goals. McIntosh would be closing on Jolly for the 3rd best ruckman. Duffield just keeps his spot but I didn't know who too put in. I almost went with Hurn or O'Brien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back