2009 All-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if hudghton was the best stopper last year and wasn't picked what does that tell us ??
That the selectors didn't pick him. I'm not a selector you moron. If I had a team I would have picked the best stopper this year and last year. This whole thread is about who I would pick. Not who the selectors will pick.

That the selectors didn't pick him. I'm not a selector you moron. If I had a team I would have picked the best stopper this year and last year. This whole thread is about who I would pick. Not who the selectors will pick.

well when i pick a theoretical AA i like to use the same team structure and use the same thoughts that the official selectors would. if they didnt have room for hudghton last year i dont think they should for presti this year.

in your team if you want to include presti thats fine, but i think discussing the likelihood of who will make the 'actual AA aquad', would make for better discussion.

well when i pick a theoretical AA i like to use the same team structure and use the same thoughts that the official selectors would. if they didnt have room for hudghton last year i dont think they should for presti this year.

in your team if you want to include presti thats fine, but i think discussing the likelihood of who will make the 'actual AA aquad', would make for better discussion.
Well then please, enlighten me with your AA side.

well i actually think your original side was very good. its not an easy thing to do and i would only make a couple of changes. heres something what it would look like.

B:
Corey Enright; Matthew Scarlett; Craig Bolton
HB: Josh Drummond; Sam Fisher; Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna; Chris Judd ; Jobe Watson
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt ; Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson; Lance Franklin; Cyril Rioli
R: Dean Cox; Joel Selwood; Gary Ablett
INT: Aaron Sandilands; Nick Dal Santo; Lenny Hayes; Sam Gilbert

EMG: Darren Jolly/Hamish McIntosh; Brad Sewell; Scott Pendlebury

ive only just quickly put this together, so im sorry if ive missed some obvious choices.

Rioli could lose his spot obviously as he is set to miss a month.

I had Craig Bolton in last weeks side. Even then I don't mind putting him back in the side because I normally rate my own players harder then the others. Sandilands is fine. The only one I don't agree with is Watson. I think Sewell, Pendlebury and Boyd are ahead of him.

I had Craig Bolton in last weeks side. Even then I don't mind putting him back in the side because I normally rate my own players harder then the others. Sandilands is fine. The only one I don't agree with is Watson. I think Sewell, Pendlebury and Boyd are ahead of him.

thats fair enough, i rate watson very highly, his clearance work is just about the best in the league, but pendles and sewell are playing just as well this year. the spot out of those three is very tough.

B: Sam Gilbert; Matthew Scarlett; Josh Drummond
HB: Aaron Davey; Sam Fisher; Brendan Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna; Scott Pendlebury; Nick Dal Santo
HF: Leon Davis; Nick Riewoldt; Paul Chapman
F: Matthew Pavlich; Brendan Fevola; Steve Johnson
R: Dean Cox; Chris Judd; Gary Ablett
INT: Hamish McIntosh; Brad Sewell; Lenny Hayes; Joel Selwood

In: Dean Cox, Paul Chapman, Brendan Fevola
Out: Patrick Ryder, Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin

Will post my full squad of 40 shortly since it is the half way mark.

In the Advertiser today (and I assume most other newspapers), they printed Champion Data's mid-season All-Australian team.

b: Drummond - Prestigiacomo - Scarlett
hb: Goddard - Fisher - Duffield
c: Montagna - Hayes - Dal Santo
hf: S Johnson - Riewoldt - Davis
f: Pavlich - Fevola - Chapman

r: Cox - Judd - Ablett

i: Sandilands - Pendlebury - Sewell - Goodes

That looks pretty accurate to me. A little surprised about Pavlich's selection, due to the fact he has played in the midfield a lot this year. But he is still deserving in my opinion.

Guys like Gilbert, Swan, Mitchell, Davey and Tarrant are all probably around the mark too. But I like this team at this stage.

SQUAD OF 40 AFTER ROUND 11

Defenders (12):
Sam Gilbert (St Kilda)
Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
Josh Drummond (Brisbane)
Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
Brendan Goddard (St Kilda)
Simon Prestigiacomo (Collingwood)
Corey Enright (Geelong)
Craig Bolton (Sydney)
Harry O'Brien (Collingwood)
Paul Duffield (Fremantle)
James Bartel (Geelong)

Midfielders (16)
Leigh Montagna (St Kilda)
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda)
Dean Cox (West Coast)
Chris Judd (Carlton)
Gary Ablett (Geelong)
Hamish McIntosh (North Melbourne)
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)
Joel Selwood (Geelong)
Marc Murphy (Carlton)
Jobe Watson (Essendon)
Patrick Ryder (Essendon)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs)
Dane Swan (Collingwood)

Forwards (12):
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Brendan Fevola (Carlton)
Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)
Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
Andrew Lovett (Essendon)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Adam Goodes (Sydney)
Warren Tredrea (Port Adelaide)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs)

Wow, would you look at that it's Presti. I'm not too far off. Pavlich, no way. Glad I swapped Duffield into the squad, but I'm not sure he's in the 22 yet. 3 Freo players in the team. I'd have Selwood before Pendlebury, but both have been good. Goodes thereabouts. Fev or Franklin at FF, too close to call.

EDIT: This is in regards to the champion data team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good squad In and Under. Only serious query would be Pavlich and Ryder. I still don't get how Ryder can be rated ahead of the Cox, Jolly, Sandilands or McIntosh. He has been pretty good since moving their but that wasn't until round 5.

This might seem like a stupid question but how far away would Zac Dawson be from the 40 man squad? has been good this year and his approach to football is second to none these days!

SQUAD OF 40 AFTER ROUND 11

Defenders (12):
Sam Gilbert (St Kilda)
Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
Josh Drummond (Brisbane)
Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
Brendan Goddard (St Kilda)
Simon Prestigiacomo (Collingwood)
Corey Enright (Geelong)
Craig Bolton (Sydney)
Harry O'Brien (Collingwood)
Paul Duffield (Fremantle)
James Bartel (Geelong)

Midfielders (16)
Leigh Montagna (St Kilda)
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda)
Dean Cox (West Coast)
Chris Judd (Carlton)
Gary Ablett (Geelong)
Hamish McIntosh (North Melbourne)
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)
Joel Selwood (Geelong)
Marc Murphy (Carlton)
Jobe Watson (Essendon)
Patrick Ryder (Essendon)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs)
Dane Swan (Collingwood)

Forwards (12):
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Brendan Fevola (Carlton)
Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)
Andrew Lovett (Essendon)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Adam Goodes (Sydney)
Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs)

Harry O'Brien wouldn't be anywhere near this list imo, has been up and down this year. From Collingwood, I think Nick Maxwell would be much more of a chance to be in there than Harry, he's had a very good year and is unfortunately severely underrated by people around here..

Duffield? Played 4-5 good games at home but I haven't thought he's been that great

Not sure why I am bothering - Nick Maxwell - isn't he your club's captain?
captain yes, tagger no. the only time i remember him being used as a tagger as such was in the elimination final vs adelaide last year.

fact of the matter is we don't have a tagger. over the years Rhyce shaw/Ryan Lonie have been used in this role to slow down judd, goodes etc with varied success.

ablett usually has a younger midfielder follow him as a learning experience.

pretty much everyone else has a ticket to do whatever they want against us.

Forwards (12):
Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Steven Milne (St.Kilda)
Mark LeCras (West Coast)
Jason Akermanis (Western Bulldogs)

can't see why you would have buddy over fev... LeCras has been good for West Coast because there is no one else but he isn't in the top 12 forwards so far this year.

I think the Defenders/Midfielders/Forwards structure is a bit unfair on some players.

To take an example from my own team I wouldn't include Pavlich in the best midfielders or forwards for this year but he would be in the squad for one of the best utilities. He hasn't kicked as many goals as the other forwards but he has a bucket load more disposals, clearances etc. On saying that however apart from a few games this year I don't think he's been AA.

Including a utility bracket allows you to put in players like Pav, Goodes and Chapman who I consider utilities as they spend their time generally between positions. Having this nulls arguements about so and so not being as good a forward as someone else as they fulfill a dual role.

Forwards (12):
Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
Leon Davis (Collingwood)
Steve Johnson (Geelong)
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda)
Steven Milne (St.Kilda)
Mark LeCras (West Coast)
Jason Akermanis (Western Bulldogs)

can't see why you would have buddy over fev... LeCras has been good for West Coast because there is no one else but he isn't in the top 12 forwards so far this year.

That's last weeks squad. Fev's in now. I like to include at least 2 small forwards. Rioli and LeCras have been the best. Steve Johnson is more a mid sized forward but can crumb. Johnson owns one of the pockets. The other pocket I normally like to give to the 3rd best power forward but none have been that good this year, so I'd give it to the best small forward. In this case that's Rioli, but LeCras would be next best. Milne and Betts next in line but I don't have them in this weeks squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back