NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Franchise Players/Free Agency/High Profile Releases

Cardinals Land McFadden

The Cardinals weren’t going to chase a lot of free agents this offseason, but they had a priority list – and cornerback Bryant McFadden was at the top.

So Sunday, a few days after the team re-signed the most important free agent from its own roster in quarterback Kurt Warner, the team landed McFadden when the former Steeler agreed to a two-year contract worth $10 million. McFadden will receive $5 million in the first year of the deal, including a $3.75 million salary.

“It seems to be a good situation,” McFadden said during his visit last week. “There are some guys I have been around in previous years. And it’s an up-and-coming organization, which you’d love to be a part of -- a successful organization and (one) that is making strides and you want to be a part of.”

McFadden will compete with veteran Rod Hood for a starting job opposite second-year man Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The move bolsters the Cards’ secondary, after a 2008 season when soon-to-be-departing Eric Green fell out of favor and the nickel position was manned by veteran Ralph Brown.

"He's coming in to compete, but much like the other veteran players we have brought in, he brings the mentality of what we have tried to have here," coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

The move also should allow Antrel Rolle to focus on playing free safety and not have to worry about filling the slot cornerback role.

McFadden played in 10 games for the Steelers in 2008, starting eight games and making two interceptions. McFadden missed six games after breaking an arm and needing surgery. But he returned to start all three playoff games for Pittsburgh, including against the Cardinals in the Super Bowl. In four seasons, McFadden has played in 51 games, making seven interceptions.

McFadden may have been the best cornerback available, but Whisenhunt said knowing McFadden -- not only from Whisenhunt's days in Pittsburgh but also facing McFadden in each of the last two seasons -- also drove the Cards into seeking McFadden's services.

"It always helps when you know someone personally, know how he works," Whisenhunt said.

Whisenhunt added that the Cards do have their own players to tend to but that the team's work in free agency isn't necessarily over. "We're never going to close the door on opportunities to make out team better," he said. "Our goal is to get back to the Super Bowl and win it."

FINALLY GOT ONE!!!

Falcons made a couple of signings today.

Brett Romberg - ex Rams C. Added for OL depth.

Mike Peterson - ex Jags LB. This one is interesting, will likely take on the starting OLB position. Is a veteran leader and is familiar with Mike Smith's system from their days together in Jacksonville.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/41001767.html

While this is only a rumour, one guy claiming to be have a tip off on a Ravens forum says Jarrett Bush is a good chance to sign with the team because of versatility on special teams. :thumbsu:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/41001767.html

While this is only a rumour, one guy claiming to be have a tip off on a Ravens forum says Jarrett Bush is a good chance to sign with the team because of versatility on special teams. :thumbsu:

Baltimore, Tennessee, doesn't matter, as long as he's gone...

I don't think we even get compensation for him being a RFA, and most Packer fans don't care either... just get rid of him!!

Boooo!!!!

He was the number 1 guy I didn't want us to lose!!

I agree. Super depth player who IMHO was more than good enough to be starter. The same guy that helped the Steelers beat Indy in the Divisional play-off game in 2005/6. His crucial spoil in the Endzone went totally under the radar in that upset result. Cards need DB's with Housh in their division now. Excellent pick up.

Steelers lost Nate Washington to Titans. Ouch. :(

I'm hoping the Steelers snare a couple competent FA WR signing before too long. Limas Sweed = :rolleyes: Can you spell BUST?

Ahem...

Steelers backup FS Anthony Smith has decided his future is in Green Bay. Well, it's better than noone at all... From all reports, a talented player, but a bit of a headcase.

I think Packer fans will be pleasantly surprised by his input. Every player matures with experience (uh duh!) and I have no doubt he'll be an outstanding acquisition for the Packers. Good hands and can HIT like a savage beast. Forget the Pats debacle. Packers D need sting and now they have Smitty.

Fits into this thread only because as a former 1st pick overall I guess it makes it high profile.

Alex Smith has restructured his rookie contract to a 2 year $3M/year deal with the 49ers and will be competing for a starters job.

Good move by the 49ers IMO, saves a tonne of cap space and with the new coaching regime is like a new environment for Smith anyway.

Here's hoping for the franchise's sake that he returns to his preinjury form.

I agree. Super depth player who IMHO was more than good enough to be starter. The same guy that helped the Steelers beat Indy in the Divisional play-off game in 2005/6. His crucial spoil in the Endzone went totally under the radar in that upset result. Cards need DB's with Housh in their division now. Excellent pick up.

Steelers lost Nate Washington to Titans. Ouch. :(

I'm hoping the Steelers snare a couple competent FA WR signing before too long. Limas Sweed = :rolleyes: Can you spell BUST?
I think McFadden was actually technically a starter, even though Gay took over on some 3rd and 4th downs when he wasn't playing the NB.

Washington will hurt us, as he often came up big, but he did drop a lot of passes when wide open which was frustrating as hell.

I think Limas could be good. He had the hands in college, just lost them since. He certainly has the speed, size and smarts to get wide open, all he needs to do is hang on to the ball. I think this will come with additional reps. I certainly don't think it is guaranteed, but I really don't think you can tell much after his rookie season where he was thrown to SFA (didn't even get a rep in most games). He has Ward teaching him, so at least we know he'll be a great blocker.

[YOUTUBE]h1fbkEOQwoc[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt he'll play anywhere. He didn't play in 08 due to a knee infection that required 7 surgeries to clean up.

It was actually the browns he played for. The jets reference was just playing on the fact we've bought in heaps of jets coaches and players

Doubt he'll play anywhere. He didn't play in 08 due to a knee infection that required 7 surgeries to clean up.

It was actually the browns he played for. The jets reference was just playing on the fact we've bought in heaps of jets coaches and players
I know. Thats why I said Jets or Patriots.

Browns take the Jets coaching rejects. And the Jets take the Patriots' rejects. And a fair amount of players (I think) like to stay in the circle of coaches

Tragedy, just a tragedy
Looking at the Rams, I am 50% confident we will draft Crabtree (We need a #1 WR), 30% Currey and 20% a O-Line player.

This is just horror though, oh well, back to crying tonight :D

Oh, and Leonard Little is still a SB player for the Rams - lovely to have him as the senior player at the Rams, a true role model

Tragedy, just a tragedy
Looking at the Rams, I am 50% confident we will draft Crabtree (We need a #1 WR), 30% Currey and 20% a O-Line player.

This is just horror though, oh well, back to crying tonight :D

Oh, and Leonard Little is still a SB player for the Rams - lovely to have him as the senior player at the Rams, a true role model
On O I meant :eek: :p

The Seattle Seahawks have traded LB Julian Peterson to the Detroit Lions for DT Cory Redding and a 2009 fifth-round draft choice, NFL.com’s Steve Wyche has confirmed.
Peterson, who has made five Pro Bowls, including the past three, has started every game but one over the last three seasons for Seattle after spending six seasons with the San Francisco 49ers. He has 46 sacks and eight interceptions over his nine-year career.

Good trade by the Lions, but those linebackers at Seattle were taking up far to much cap room. Rumor is that Seattle are going after Aaron Curry. With Tatupu and Hill do they need another star linebacker?

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2009 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back