2009 Trade Discussion- Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi fellas,

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

This is my first year of DreamTeam so would really love some help.

I have 6 trades remaining, and about $295k to spend.

My backline is ok, with Grimes as 7th, and Broughton and Cheney on the bench (like a lot it seems).

Midfield - 4 premiums (not ABC), Rich and Muston starting with Robinson and Cockie on the bench

Rucks - fine (Cox/Sandi)

Forwards - 6 guns, 7/8/9 = Ziebell, Warren and Hentschel :(

Where should I look to improve the team? I'm willing to use 2 trades this week, and then none until later in the year (easily in top 4 in my league and shouldn't be displaced).

Would love to get Bartel in for Rich, but I'd be left with Muston on the field, with not much backup. I'm thinking maybe upgrading Warren and Robinson to a forward and mid up to $730k. That way I'll be keeping Rich with Muston on the bench, and Ziebell in the forwards on the bench? Or is there not much point having Ziebell on the bench? Warren/Hentschel being injured throws me out a bit. Have Nathan Brown and Chapman in the forwards, so not totally durable forwardline!

Appreciate any help!

Ranked about 3,000.

Thanks for your advice. Will try to help you out if I can.

Yourbackline looks fine. Grimes is ok for a 7th back for now. Broughton good backup.
As far as your mids and forwards go I guess it depends on how good you want your bench coverage to be. To me Ziebell is a bit wasted on the bench. He's earned a fair bit of cash and is ripe to be upgraded. Warren is out for a month (may only be 3 games with the split round) so he could provide good cover for the rest of the season when he comes back.

I would look at upgrading Ziebell to a premium - depends who you already have but someone like Didak, J Brown - would cost you around 75kish
Keep Warren for now but keep an eye on someone like Balantyne who you could downgrade him to if necessary.

I would then look at upgrading Robinson to a mid around the 400 mark or less - Kornes/Dal Santo etc

Or you could look at say Ziebell to Buddy and then may be able to get in someone like Gibbs or Murphy (again hard to say without knowing who you've got. for example you could do Robbo to Bartel and Ziebell to Brown or Buddy with the cash you have.

You would then have Grimes as 7th back with Broughton cover, Rich and Muston as a choice for 6th mid and a forward line with 7 guns. I wouldn't worry about not having bench cover in the forwards unless you look like copping a zero. Warren shouldn't be too far away and you'd think he's earned his place in the side when he's fit. If getting zeros becomes a concern then look at downgrading Warren to a Ballantyne type.

Then if you need to later in the year you can look at upgrading Grimes and/or Rich/Muston. They should all be worth enough at that point to do a traight swap.

Hope that helps.

Just re-read this and the middle bit is a bit unclear. Basically I would upgrade Ziebell and Robbo to premiums. Keep Warren for now unless you look like getting zeros. It depends who you have already but I would personally look at getting Bartel in (since you don't have ABC) and upgrade Ziebell to someone like Buddy or J Brown. Someone in the loww 300's price wise. Then you only need to upgrade Grimes and Rich/Muston later in the season but if for some reason you can't, these guys will suffice as 7th back/6th mid. All have shown they're capable of scoring a 100.

Thanks for your advice. Will try to help you out if I can.

Yourbackline looks fine. Grimes is ok for a 7th back for now. Broughton good backup.
As far as your mids and forwards go I guess it depends on how good you want your bench coverage to be. To me Ziebell is a bit wasted on the bench. He's earned a fair bit of cash and is ripe to be upgraded. Warren is out for a month (may only be 3 games with the split round) so he could provide good cover for the rest of the season when he comes back.

I would look at upgrading Ziebell to a premium - depends who you already have but someone like Didak, J Brown - would cost you around 75kish
Keep Warren for now but keep an eye on someone like Balantyne who you could downgrade him to if necessary.

I would then look at upgrading Robinson to a mid around the 400 mark or less - Kornes/Dal Santo etc

Or you could look at say Ziebell to Buddy and then may be able to get in someone like Gibbs or Murphy (again hard to say without knowing who you've got. for example you could do Robbo to Bartel and Ziebell to Brown or Buddy with the cash you have.

You would then have Grimes as 7th back with Broughton cover, Rich and Muston as a choice for 6th mid and a forward line with 7 guns. I wouldn't worry about not having bench cover in the forwards unless you look like copping a zero. Warren shouldn't be too far away and you'd think he's earned his place in the side when he's fit. If getting zeros becomes a concern then look at downgrading Warren to a Ballantyne type.

Then if you need to later in the year you can look at upgrading Grimes and/or Rich/Muston. They should all be worth enough at that point to do a traight swap.

Hope that helps.

Just re-read this and the middle bit is a bit unclear. Basically I would upgrade Ziebell and Robbo to premiums. Keep Warren for now unless you look like getting zeros. It depends who you have already but I would personally look at getting Bartel in (since you don't have ABC) and upgrade Ziebell to someone like Buddy or J Brown. Someone in the loww 300's price wise. Then you only need to upgrade Grimes and Rich/Muston later in the season but if for some reason you can't, these guys will suffice as 7th back/6th mid. All have shown they're capable of scoring a 100.

Thanks very much for such a comprehensive reply!

I come $2k short of doing Robbo--->Bartel and Ziebell--->Didak, damnit!

In my forwards i've got: ROK, Buddy, Chapman, SJ, Deledio, Pavlich as my guns.

In mids: Murphy, Gibbs, Kornes, Swan as my guns.

Does seem a bit of a waste to have Ziebell on the bench, just a bit wary with no coverage or now I guess. You're right though, Warren should slot back in when fit, and at worst I could downgrade him for Ballantyne later.

Nobody sticks out at me under $441k (if I get Didak) that I can afford apart from Corey, who's battling injury and no guarantee to come in next week so I won't trade him in.

Another option is to go Ziebell to Riewoldt, and Robinson to Stanton?

Or... Robinson to Bartel and Ziebell to Brennan/Brown

Leaning towards this option now, but will have a look at Brown's run home. Brown and Bartel > Riewoldt and Stanton? I'm thinking yes...

I would go Bartel + cash. Although Ablett has dominated the points this year just prefer Bartel's past consistency, doesnt get tagged and he rarely misses games. Plus at this stage the extra cash will be handy for future upgrades.

ablett not cosistent enough for you?

only 2 scores under 100, and no score below 80.

What do people think? I'm doing Rich to Bartel - that's locked in. I'm probably not doing any other trades for some time. I can easily afford it this week with the cash in my kitty but would it make more sense to wait a week if Rich is likely to go up more than Bartel does.

I'm kind of inclined to pull the trigger now. Who knows what will happen next week. Thoughts?

I'm going to pull the trigger this week because I want the extra 30 odd points. I'd rather have the points then the $10k

Thanks very much for such a comprehensive reply!

I come $2k short of doing Robbo--->Bartel and Ziebell--->Didak, damnit!

In my forwards i've got: ROK, Buddy, Chapman, SJ, Deledio, Pavlich as my guns.

In mids: Murphy, Gibbs, Kornes, Swan as my guns.

Does seem a bit of a waste to have Ziebell on the bench, just a bit wary with no coverage or now I guess. You're right though, Warren should slot back in when fit, and at worst I could downgrade him for Ballantyne later.

Nobody sticks out at me under $441k (if I get Didak) that I can afford apart from Corey, who's battling injury and no guarantee to come in next week so I won't trade him in.

Another option is to go Ziebell to Riewoldt, and Robinson to Stanton?

Or... Robinson to Bartel and Ziebell to Brennan/Brown

Leaning towards this option now, but will have a look at Brown's run home. Brown and Bartel > Riewoldt and Stanton? I'm thinking yes...

I'd do Robbo to Bartel and Ziebell to Brown personally.

I think perhaps he is talking about Bartel's DT form over a number of years - plus he seems a bit more durable.

I have the same choice and am going Bartel - let's say ablett averages 10ppg more than Bartel from here on in.

I reckon i can get that 10ppg+ elsewhere using my $50k. Something like Houlihan to Fisher or Pearce to Kornes.

Midfield: Swan, Murphy, Corey, Gibbs, Hasleby, Muston (Robinson, Hartlett)
Forwards: Deledio, SJohnson, Pavlich, Roughead, Higgins, Walker, Sidebottom (Ziebell, Hentschel)

231k in bank
9 Trades

Option 1
This Rd:
Robinson > Bartel

Next Rd:
Walker > Ballantyne
Ziebell > Didak

Option 2
This Rd:
Hasleby > Bartel
Ziebell > Didak

Next Rd:
Walker > Ballantyne
Roughead > Riewoldt (only a maybe)

Option 3
This Rd:
Ziebell > Didak

Next Rd:
Walker > Ballantyne
Robinson > Bartel

My back line is complete so no need to worry about that. As you can see my forward line is my weakest link atm. For probbly the last 2 weeks I have had Option 1 locked in for this rd/next rd. But with Didak scoring so well and my forward line being less than impressive recently I feel the need to strengthen it.

Only problem is I wanted to get Bartel in while he is at his lowest, and with Freo coming up at Subi again he could really cut them up. With this in mind it has made me question the merits of Option 2. While this option lets me get both guys in this week it leaves me with another trade required for one of Muston/Robinson/Hartlett to complete my midfield, where as I would have left Hasleby in as my 6th mid.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

New dilemna...

Option 4
This Rd:
Ziebell > Didak
Robinson > Dal Santo

Next Rd:
Walker > Ballantyne
Hasleby > Bartel

This option throws a spanner in the works. Leaves me with 5 trades and still needing an upgrade of Sidebottom/downgrade of Hartlett/Muston.

I'm still thinking Option 1, I don;t mind having ?hasleby as a 6th mid and would rather him and an upgrade of Sidebottom than Dal Santo+Sidebottom combination.

What do you guys reckon?

EYy guys,

Trading Mitch Brown to Ballantyne this week.

SHould i use the cash to upgrade Ziebel to:

Didak + 100k in bank

Riewoldt or STevie J +15k in bank

I got 8 trades so i guess if i could save up some money for a straight trade later would be good but maybe its good to get a garanteed reliable Gun into the team. What do you guys think?

Ablett definitely is consistent and will more than likely be for the rest of the year. I was referring to Jimmy's consistency over the last 3-4 years. I havent got the stats but from memory Ablett had a few below 70 games last year?

Think if you take either jimmy or ablett you going to get a player that will average over 100, I just would sway towards picking up Jimmy.

New dilemna...

Option 4
This Rd:
Ziebell > Didak
Robinson > Dal Santo

Next Rd:
Walker > Ballantyne
Hasleby > Bartel

This option throws a spanner in the works. Leaves me with 5 trades and still needing an upgrade of Sidebottom/downgrade of Hartlett/Muston.

I'm still thinking Option 1, I don;t mind having ?hasleby as a 6th mid and would rather him and an upgrade of Sidebottom than Dal Santo+Sidebottom combination.

What do you guys reckon?

I like option 4. You might be using 4 trades but you are bringing in 3 premiums for 4 trades which looks pretty good IMO just dont know if i like dal santo.....considered kane cornes or do you already have him?

I'm going to do anything and everything to get Gary this week.

Might even cop a doughnut from Warren and hope Ballatyne plays.

With old man Bowden and T Edwards scoring the big big scores he needs to catch up and I hope he knows it.

So many have cracked 160 now it's Ablett's go.

Ablett definitely is consistent and will more than likely be for the rest of the year. I was referring to Jimmy's consistency over the last 3-4 years. I havent got the stats but from memory Ablett had a few below 70 games last year?

Think if you take either jimmy or ablett you going to get a player that will average over 100, I just would sway towards picking up Jimmy.

I dont think the issue is abletts consistency. I think he will outscore bartel basically every week he is on the field imo. I think the question is do you want to take the risk on Abletts durability. Personally i would go Bartell. You may be losing 10-30 points every week but he is more likley to play the season out without injury. I remember everyone at the start of the season trying to weigh up who to choose out of Bartel and Abblett. The outcome was Ablett will average higher and score higher in most games but Bartel will score more overall because he will play all 22...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like option 4. You might be using 4 trades but you are bringing in 3 premiums for 4 trades which looks pretty good IMO just dont know if i like dal santo.....considered kane cornes or do you already have him?

Don't quite have enough for him, otherwise he would be a shoe-in. NDS is the most expensive option I have available to me...

What do you good folks think about Milburn as an option in defense? He has shown in previous years that he is a capable scorer, and looks to be returning to some form over the last couple of weeks. His price of $276 is very attractive!

Im $400 short of my preferred trade, which is very annoying.

Still trying to figure out whether chad is a fold or a hold.

Im going through the same issues lakey.... ive got broughton covering for cornes so im only missing out on 20ppg (looking at averages).

Hopefully cornes is only out for another 4 rounds (5 weeks) and broughton plays in freo during this timeframe, with their injured backline that looks a fair possability.

There isnt anyone really to trade to for cornes as everyone in the backline arent doing the best with averages (baring goddard who most have). So unless cornes is ruled out for the season im going to keep him as i still recon he will post a minimum average of 90 when he gets back which will keep him in the top 5 backman for averages.

just my thoughts though.

Lol at the people desperate to get Ablett, doesn't anyone realize he's injury prone?

I'm not too keen on getting a new midfielder but if I wanted any player that was 400k+ It would definitely be Lenny Hayes as he's been very consistant this year, likewise with Leigh Montagna (I already have Bartel and Swan however).

Lol at the people desperate to get Ablett, doesn't anyone realize he's injury prone?

I'm not too keen on getting a new midfielder but if I wanted any player that was 400k+ It would definitely be Lenny Hayes as he's been very consistant this year, likewise with Leigh Montagna (I already have Bartel and Swan however).
If Ablett's injury prone, then surely Hayes is as well??

I have 8 trades left. I have enough money in the bank for a trade of- out rich in bartel and -out zeibel and in riewoldt. Which trade would you do?
I have hamish hartlett in my team aswell and a third option is to make 2 trades this round and get a rookie for someone on my bench and make extra money so i can keep rich and get rid of hartlett for bartell. The down side to this is that by rd 13 i will only have 6 trades left where as if i did the first two trades i would have 7 left. What option should i go for?

I have 8 trades left. I have enough money in the bank for a trade of- out rich in bartel and -out zeibel and in riewoldt. Which trade would you do?
I have hamish hartlett in my team aswell and a third option is to make 2 trades this round and get a rookie for someone on my bench and make extra money so i can keep rich and get rid of hartlett for bartell. The down side to this is that by rd 13 i will only have 6 trades left where as if i did the first two trades i would have 7 left. What option should i go for?
How about you think about it and make up your own mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 Trade Discussion- Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back