2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

About 10 blokes at every club play midfield for a vast majority of the season.

No team has 6 forwards, 6 backs and 6 midfielders in the modern rotations game. The selection of the AA side should reflect this.

Alan Didak will be named AA HFF and has spent the entire year in the midfield. This is merely reflective of the modern game.

From a Saints perspective I'm surprised to see Gilbert in so many teams, he hasn't had a great year and must be one of the most unreliable kicks going around. Would have been more deserving last year than this year.

Hayes has had a better year than Montagna.. Goddard is a lock.. don't think anyone apart from these three should be considered - maybe Milne if his form hadn't dropped away at the wrong end of the season.

About 10 blokes at every club play midfield for a vast majority of the season.

No team has 6 forwards, 6 backs and 6 midfielders in the modern rotations game. The selection of the AA side should reflect this.

Alan Didak will be named AA HFF and has spent the entire year in the midfield. This is merely reflective of the modern game.
But there is midfield and there is 'midfield'.

Kelly has started in the centre square for much of the year.

Has he?

So where have Bartel, Selwood, Ling, Chappy and to a lesser degree, Ablett been starting?

Usually when I watch Geelong, the centre square comprises of Blake/Ottens, Selwood, Ling (usually holding someone's arm) and one of Chappy/Ablett/Bartel. I saw Kelly in there a bit when Ling was out and Kelly played as a tagger a bit.

Ablett has started forward a fair bit. Bartel has played a utility role when needed from what I've seen. Played at CHF one game from memory. Chapman drifts from the HF line to the middle. Kelly and Selwood are probably the only pure mids when they play. Ling is a tagger so he just goes where his opponent goes.

So they have finished with the defenders/midfielder/forwards then. So more mids make the squad. That's fine and adds more interest to the final team announcement.

Only query is Jolly, they already had Sandilands, Mumford and Jamar so that is the weird selection imo. Why not just pick Thomas from Collingwood?

Happy with most of it except Fletcher shouldn't be in a squad of 100, most overrated player in the comp oh and where the hell is Kieran Jack? Malceski, Swallow and Rawlings make it but not Jack? WTF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they have finished with the defenders/midfielder/forwards then. So more mids make the squad. That's fine and adds more interest to the final team announcement.

Only query is Jolly, they already had Sandilands, Mumford and Jamar so that is the weird selection imo. Why not just pick Thomas from Collingwood?

Jolly had a poor first half of the year, so he can consider himself veeeeeery lucky.

Would have preferred Cross in there over Jolly, but I guess the squad needs more Collingwood.

Mostly ok but I see they tried to squeeze more players from top team in by selecting Jolly, would have been better selecting Thomas. Jolly was terrible for entire first half of season, no need for 4 ruckman in squad and if there was Hudson had him covered everyday of week.

Gilbert missed. Maybe I did overrate his year. I guess that makes up my mind for me in regards to Deledio/Gilbert for my team.

Fletcher getting in is fine, so that means 6 games can be the official cut off for games missed when we do teams next year.

If it's a general top 40 list then I'd say Thomas is the one that is really unlucky. Griffen, Bartel, Cross, Simpson, Gilbert and Jack the other 6 that could have been picked. Hudson unlucky considering Jolly got picked.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...id1=284&tid2=8&pid2=1312&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Wouldn't say that mate, but don't think Jols should have been included, already had 3 Rucks.

Please, if you are just a stat watcher look up the contested posession and clearance stats, they will give you a better idea. Hudson beat Jolly twice, Sandilands and Jamar. Jolly is clearly the luckiest player to be in the squad and was only included to get more Collingwood players in as they were the dominate side, any fool can see that. Jolly was very poor in first half of year as indicated by him calling his old coach for help and the high amount of frees he was giving away.

This is the how the squad would look under the old method. So maybe we can assume the selectors are seeing Hodge as a defender. Ablett, Harvey and Chapman as forwards.

Left out Jolly because I can't be stuffed doing his picture. In reality they still could have picked the squad like previous years. Just swap a defender like Gilbert in for Jolly.

Changes from my squad:

In: Jolly, Swallow, Watson, Fletcher, Kelly, Dal Santo
Out: Bartel, Thomas, Grundy, Morris, Rioli, Gilbert

People say stats mean nothing yet bring up stats to favour their arguments. And I don't mean you Griffs Revenge just what I've noticed goes on in here alot. In saying that I don't think Jolly should've been included. Would've prefered Daisy as he has had a superb season.

No Gilbert. Not in the team I'd understand but not in the squad?

Sometimes I get the feeling if the season was played out in reverse the end team would be very different, and Gilbert would be alock for back pocket.

Jolly, Fletcher and maybe Kelly (had a great year but his selection seems a bit superfluous) the surprises to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back