2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

the 2 best ones have been injured most of the year

Exactly.
I heard a stat the other day saying, Nick Riewoldt is second for marks over the past 6 weeks behind Brian Lake. (i think, i could be wrong...)
If that is correct though, pretty top effort.

8 games. The MRP have robbed Buddy of this year's Coleman Medal

No they haven't. Franklin averages 3.5 goals a game, if he played 22 games, that's 77 goals on average, and considering he missed some games through injury, it'd be less. Considering Jack is on 75 and will probably kick 3 or 4, Franklin would have to average a bit over his usual to get Jack. Either way, it's debatable whether Franklin would have the coleman without the mrp acting.

First time poster but I've been reading this site for years. I don’t have enough time to post but I decided to make this one because I think there is a bad trend starting on BF because posters are starting to ruin good threads. I’ve looked forward to Aussie Gun’s AA threads ever since he did his first 3 years ago because he seems to actually know what he is talking about compared to some of you who rant about players from your teams.

Well if you watch every game every week, and decide that the player with the most goals contributed hasn't had a worthy season then good work I guess.
The issue I have is with posts like the one I have quoted. It is the same boring rubbish that comes out of too many posters now. One eyed, semi abusive rants trying to derail threads or discredit posters who actually make an effort with what they post. I’m a Geelong supporter and have been for 14 years but SJ hasn’t been in AA form for the majority of the year. For most of the first half of the season he was a liability at times and there is a thread that was created on the Geelong board roasting him for that exact reason. He had a few good games during that time and has been excellent since returning from his three week break but that isn’t enough to warrant AA selection.
I’m not sure why looking at stats backs up your argument either Lunchlady Doris because a player in his position should be getting those stats. He is on the receiving end of the best midfield in the comp.
Why not post your AA team? Actually add something to the thread instead of just listing Geelong players who should be in and attacking those who don’t agree. Either add something worth reading or stick to the Geelong board where you can share your one eyed views with all the other Geelong fans.

In regards to the actual thread I think most of the teams look good. I only really watch the top 4 teams and I see a lot of the Swans living in Sydney so it’s hard for me to compare the form of players to those of the teams I haven’t seen enough of. In regards to Geelong I think Selwood, Ablett and Chapman are certainties. Taylor should be at CHB and Enright might be another picked. I’ve rated Varcoe and Podsiadly ahead of SJ, so I’d almost argue he shouldn’t even be in the squad. He is a great talent but he plays as a cherry picker/receiver a fair bit and that’s why I think he can be overrated sometimes. Using stats is no use because he should be getting those stats in the fortunate position he is in. J-Pod and Varcoe have influenced many more games imo.

My team (haven’t seen much of the bottom 8 teams):
B. Harry O’Brien. Brian Lake. Sam Gilbert
HB. Corey Enright. Harry Taylor. Brendon Goddard
C. Scott Pendlebury. Joel Selwood. Lenny Hayes
HF. Alan Didak. Lance Franklin. Paul Chapman
F. Gary Ablett. Jack Riewoldt. Barry Hall
R. Aaron Sandilands. Luke Hodge. Dane Swan
INT. Leigh Montagna. Adam Goodes. Adam Cooney. Chris Judd.​

Leaning towards the better teams so guys like Green, Frawley and Deledio miss out purely because I haven’t seen enough games.
If there is one critiscm I have of you AG, it’s that you try to be too neutral in your views. It’s a good trait because you will be taken seriously most of the time but I think you almost underrate a lot of Swans. Goodes should be on the bench at worst because he has probably been the best player in the comp over the last 7 weeks and along with his excellent first 4-5 rounds. Plus the game at Manuka and the Port game he has had a very, very good season. Maybe compared to his Brownlow years he is slightly down but he also suffers from his high standards. Goodes this year is still better than most of the players in the comp.

Same thing applies to Franklin. Players who have improved are overrated (eg.Green) ahead of superstars that are very, very slightly down on form. I think it’s the wrong way too look at it. Likewise Mumford should be well ahead of Hudson and possibly ahead of Jamar as the 2nd best ruckman this year. Kieren Jack should be being mentioned more. Even last year I think you were harsh on Craig Bolton being selected.
Having said that I think you overrate Malceski a lot AG, so maybe we just have different opinions on the Swans players. Anyway great thread and I appreciate reading everyone who makes an effort in creating a good discussion.

Good team, but you weren't kidding about not choosing any bottom 8 players!

Le Cras, Frawley and Deledio are all in my team.

Im surprised you have Goodes he had a long period in the middle of the season where he was really out of form. Hasn't done enough imo. For a coveted mid spot I wouldn't have Cooney. Don't really rate Enright that high personally, but it seems I'm fairly alone on that one. But yeah overall a pretty good crack at a team.

I don't think Malceski should or will make AA. His return to one of the best rebounding defenders has been a huge plus for us this year and he will be top 3 or 4 in our B and F, but i think there are other players who are better defensively and still attacking that deserve a spot over Mal unfortunately.

Goodesy i think has absolutely done enough for a bench spot. He certainly wasn't horrible during those few weeks of supposed horrible form people are marking him down on. He was still as active as normal and trying his guts out but was forced to be anchored to the forward 50. Between rounds 10 and 13 were his lowest period and he still had one game against Port in there where he was one of the best on ground. Then games against Bombers and Hawks where his goal kicking was off but he was still very dangerous up forward. His first 9 weeks of the year playing at CHF were very, very good and his last 7 weeks he has been one of the 2 or 3 most in form players in the AFL, IMO. Kicked 40 goals and has the 3rd most marks in the AFL (keeping in mind he doesn't get cheap possessions). He's done enough i think.

Mumford and Jamar both deserve a 2nd ruck spot but i think both will be overlooked for another midfielder.

FWIW, i would pick the following:

F: Hall Riewoldt Le Cras
HF: Didak Franklin Ablett
C: Pendlebury Hayes Chapman
HB: Goddard Taylor Deledio
B: O'Brien Lake Frawley
R: Sandilands Hodge Swan

I/C: Gilbert, Goodes, Montagna, Selwood

If Same thing applies to Franklin. Players who have improved are overrated (eg.Green) ahead of superstars that are very, very slightly down on form.

Yeah I agree with you here.:thumbsu:

Although not really in reference to Green he has been a great player for a long time, its just so hard to make it as a midfielder especially if you are playing in a team like Melbourne which hasn't had much top 4 or top 8 action lately. I wouldn't really say he is an 'improved player' but rather a player maintaing strong form in a new position that better suits him.

The issue I have is with posts like the one I have quoted. It is the same boring rubbish that comes out of too many posters now. One eyed, semi abusive rants trying to derail threads or discredit posters who actually make an effort with what they post.

Where is the abuse? Where is the discrediting? You may notice nowhere have I said that SJ deserves to be in the AA side. I am actually applauding AG for his dedication to watching football, I haven't seen enough to name an AA side of my own.

I’m a Geelong supporter and have been for 14 years

Congrats mate, legend.

but SJ hasn’t been in AA form for the majority of the year. For most of the first half of the season he was a liability at times and there is a thread that was created on the Geelong board roasting him for that exact reason.

You may notice I posted in that exact thread, calling for him to be dropped after the first few rounds as he looked like he was mucking around.

He had a few good games during that time and has been excellent since returning from his three week break but that isn’t enough to warrant AA selection.

Whether we think of his laconic style or occasional poor game since, there comes a time where raw output has to be considered, imo. Often he gets judged unfairly because of the high standards he can achieve. Once again though, I am not claiming he should be AA.

I’m not sure why looking at stats backs up your argument either Lunchlady Doris because a player in his position should be getting those stats. He is on the receiving end of the best midfield in the comp.

Why include any Geelong players in the AA side then, as they all should be tearing it up because of who they play with. This is not far removed form the claims that all Geelong players only look good because of the players around them. Give the spot to someone who hasn't kicked as many goals, or provided as many assists, because they do it tougher in a lesser side?

Why not post your AA team? Actually add something to the thread instead of just listing Geelong players who should be in and attacking those who don’t agree. Either add something worth reading or stick to the Geelong board where you can share your one eyed views with all the other Geelong fans.

I would like to ask AG if he feels I was attacking him? My comment about our own observations not being the ultimate answer was not at all directed at him, was just a general comment, and one that I stand by. I don't pretend to watch enough football to nominate an AA side. Earlier in the thread I was bemused with Collingwood supporters deriding SJ as a downhill skiier, and in fact AG himself pointed out that despite a big win in the end for Geelong v Sydney, SJ was very much the catalyst, and writing off his performances in Geelong's wins is folly.

Show me this list of Geelong players who I think should be in? I don't know if you've got me confused with some other poster, but how about you get back on that gigantic high horse you rode in on and go back to not posting, or at least keep your ideas on what I should post and where to yourself.

Nice work! A few outside the box but interesting nonetheless.

As a guy who watches both halves I'll have a gander.

Cooney is hard to justify even with a top eight dominated list. He's been good, but not AA good IMO.

The current list of mids is IMO:

Swan/HodgeGoddard
Goddard/Hayes
Montagna
Judd
Boyd
Selwood

That's eight, given the center line has three, HBF two, two followers, and the interchange shouldn't have that many mids, I honestly think that will be the mids selected.

Goodes has been hot and cold. Had a few good games but in reality isn't in AA form IMO. Ask AG but IMO he's not even bench material.

LeCras should get in, if only to pay for the error last year. He's kicked 60+ goals in a pocket in a spooner team as their main forward. It's a herculean effort and not only is he the best goalsneak in the game, but he's a great shot too. He's shown the fact that he's got all the tools.

I don't like Hall in the pocket, that should be left for a pocket player, like LecCras. Let me put it this way, if Australia were picking a team to play against the world, I would have Hall on the bench purely because there's better forwards. Still deserves an AA gig though.

Gablett is better than a pocket position, despite what people say he's still been one of the best mids (he's second on disposals, hardly missing in the midfield) so this is strange for me to say this to a cats fan!

Harry O is an interesting choice, but I do like Frawley since he is actually a pretty good runner and takes the first tall every week. I do think the backline should have three or so tallish players. Then again I don't expect Frawley to get picked.

I wont comment on Deledio, he's one of my favourite tiggers players so I'm biased and will remove myself from comment. But if we're talking about gun rebounders, Deledio fits the bill. Doing the job that Gibbs tries to do but does poorly. At the moment having a 21 yo at FF position in the AA team is nice enough. :cool:

Another Geelong newbie? I've had a random troll in threads I've started many times over the past few years, so it might be the same guy but now he is taking a reverse troll approach.

If not, then I appreciate you like my posts, but I don't have a problem with what LD said or any other posters who question their own players. This thread would be boring if everyone agreed, in fact the whole site would be boring. Plus arguments sway me and I realise I might be overrating/underrating a certain player. Reading what Geelong posters have said and that others have SJ in their teams makes me think I am underrating him. As I have said 100 times the forwards and defenders are much harder this year compared to other year because so many have had flat patches. Midfield is the easiest by a long way imo.

In regards to Goodes, I think it's bench at best rather than bench at worst. You could make a case that he has had a better season than Pavlich, LeCras, SJ and Hall for a possible forward bench spot or maybe sneak a pocket.

My crack - could be biased:eek:

B - Harry O, Lake, Goddard
HB - Hodge, Frawley, Enright
C - Pendlebury, Swan, Judd
HF - Didak, Franklin, Chapman
F - LeCras, Riewoldt. J, Cloke
R - Sandilands, Ablett, Selwood. J
I/C - Hayes, Riewoldt. N, Boyd, Montagna.

The reason I have Cloke ahead of Bazza is based on Trav's all round game.

Yeah - Baz has kicked 38 more goals well done to him on that.
Yet the reason I rate Trav higher is that he has out performed Bazza in every other key indicator measurable in football.

He is one of the five key players in our team that we are where we are today (Swan Didak Pendles & Jolly again IMO only ie)

Cloke: D 296 M 143 CM 56 FA 13 T 44 1%ers 28 CP 146 FA 13 = 19 gms

Bazza: D 231 M 123 CM 32 FA 25 T 24 1%ers 19 CP 98 FA 25 = 20 gms

Cloke has had a FAR better season than Bazza in the "team things".

Nick Riewoldts return has been marvelous and as such he gets back in for mine. Love to see the cousins in the one team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay for another non-biased Hawthorn attempt.

Backs: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Half Backs: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Centres: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Half Forwards: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Forwards: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Rucks: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Interchange: Hodge Hodge Hodge Hodge

either that or...
Backs: Gilbert Lake O'Brien
Half Backs: Enright Taylor Goddard
Centres: Montagna Selwood Boyd
Half Forwards: Didak Franklin LeCras
Forwards: Chapman Riewoldt Ablett
Rucks: Sandilands Hodge Swan
Interchange: Goodes Barlow Jamar DeLudio

Frawley > Gilbert or O'Brien.

With ease.

Okay for another non-biased Hawthorn attempt.

Backs: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Half Backs: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Centres: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Half Forwards: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Forwards: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Rucks: Hodge Hodge Hodge
Interchange: Hodge Hodge Hodge Hodge

either that or...

Barlow! Needed about 6/7 more games.

Goodes has avoided a lot of media attention for his "transition" season.

As soon as Roos freed him up back into the midfield this yr he has been superb and a full season thru the middle would've once again been AA worthy basis that form.

Hard to say it but personally i'm borderline on finding a place for him. The bench is obviously a LOT stronger with him there even just for versatility. Has got stronger as the season wore on (as usual) and if Sydney finish 5th we can owe a great deal of it to his performances second half of the yr.

Might truly come down to how he plays against Brissy this week.
Sqaud? sure.AA this yr ?...borderline at best for mine.

Interesting season he's played though. Maybe with hindsight he wasnt quite ready for the transition and may have had a blinder thru the guts over 22 rounds.

When you look at the stats Jono Brown should make the side. He has kicked 4 or more goals 8 times this year which is more than Lecras and Riewoldt plus he has played 5 games less than them. Not bad for a bloke on 1 leg.

Yet the reason I rate Trav higher is that he has out performed Bazza in every other key indicator measurable in football.

He is one of the five key players in our team that we are where we are today (Swan Didak Pendles & Jolly again IMO only ie)

Nick Riewoldts return has been marvelous and as such he gets back in for mine. Love to see the cousins in the one team!

Agreed with everything until I realised it wasn't actually J.Cloke that you had in the forward pocket.

Brad Green > Travis Cloke

Backs ..OBrien ....Lake ....Gilbee

H/Bk ..Hodge ....Enright ....Goddard

Mids...Pendlebury...Cross...Montagna

H/Fwd..Didak....Franklin...Chapman ( capt )

Fwd..Goodes..J Riewoldt...LeCras

Rck/ Flw ...Sandilands...Ablett ...Swan ( v / capt )

Res ...J Selwood...J Brown...Scotland ...Malceski

Enright at CHB? Thats ambitious.

B: Sam Gilbert(STK) - Brian Lake(WBD) - Nick Malceski(SYD)
HB: Brendon Goddard(STK) - Harry Taylor(GEE) - Harry O'Brien(COL)
C: Joel Selwood(GEE) - Luke Hodge(HAW) - Leigh Montagna(STK)
HF: Paul Chapman(GEE) - Matthew Pavlich(FRE) - Lance Franklin(HAW)
F: Mark LeCras(WCE) - Jack Riewoldt(RIC) - Alan Didak(COL)
R: Aaron Sandilands(FRE) - Dane Swan(COL) - Gary Ablett(GEE)
INT: Brent Harvey(NML) - Shane Mumford(SYD) - Brad Green(MEL) - Chris Judd(CAR)

:thumbsu:

AFTER ROUND 21:

B: Frawley, Lake, Enright
HB: Goddard, Taylor, O'Brien
C: Montagna, Hodge, Chapman
HF: Ablett Jnr, Franklin, Didak
F: Green, J Riewoldt, Hall
FOL: Sandilands, Swan, Hayes
INT: Pendlebury, Selwood, Judd, Le Cras

LUCKIEST: Enright and Hall
UNLUCKIEST: Boyd and Harvey

I've had Malcesci in my team for most of the year but he has really dropped off I've though whereas Enright seems to have regained form after a flat spot starting in Round 15. Hall is in mainly because of a lack of quality forwards this year. I think Cloke has had a better season but is only suited to FF/CHF and is a fair bit behind the guys I've named there so Hall is quite lucky.

N Riewoldt has probably been the best player in the comp this year but hasn't played enough games to be in. Pav has dropped off severely and is nowhere near the team in my opinion. JB not enough games.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 All-Australian Team (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back