2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- THE REAL DEAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Hibberd.

Finished my last exam today - packing up the house and moving back to Hobart - so will have the write up in late tomorrow.

wouldnt be a draft year without you nicking a player I was watching for my last pick. kid is severly under valued on this site (maybe bc nobody watches the Dolphins) but was the emerging talent in the VFL this year. Test results were exceptional and I think he will get a senior or rookie spot for sure.

Grub we will need to add two selections to the list given likely list lodgements today;

Collingwood - Presti

Bulldogs - Hahn

As per previous note lets just stick them at the end.

Foj1 hasnt been on for 3 days. Did his Phantom and ran. I know he was keen on this kid and think he probably would select him with this pick.

Pick 80 (Essendon)
Brandyn Grenfell Vic Metro

Grenfell has come from the clouds to be a legitimate draft chance and I think the Bombers will swoop here. The Bombers are probably a ruckman short and Grenfell is not a legitimate ruck however at 199cm he may be developed into a key forward/ back who can pinch hit in the ruck. I reckon the Bombers may rookie another ruckman later on. Grenfell is going to need to fill out however he has the frame to do so. He also has long limbs which may help him as a pinch hit ruckman as well as a key position prospect.

if he isnt around for the next one I will take someone else I know he was keen on as well.

Grub we will need to add two selections to the list given likely list lodgements today;

Collingwood - Presti

Bulldogs - Hahn

Presti was on Collingwood's veterans list, so he will have to be replaced via the rookie draft (unless they elevate another player to take his place).

However, the article announcing his retirement also mentions that Jack Anthony has walked out on them with the intention of going to the GC:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/its-all-over-for-collingwoods-simon-prestigiacomo/story-e6frecj3-1225950696014

Anthony obviously hasn't thought this through, as GC can't select him in either draft unless Collingwood agree to let them. Note that GC are only allowed to take one uncontracted player per club (including via the drafts) and they've already taken Fraser from Collingwood.

Write up for Jordan Schroeder;

#76 (COLLINGWOOD)
Jordan Schroder - Calder Cannons / 182cm / 85kg

Profile: Big fan of this kid and I think he is pretty under rated on this Forum which is easy to understand given Wallis and Libba have taken all the plaudits. If he was in any other TAC side he would have been a standout. Personally I dont think there is much of a gap between he and say Parker / Hallahan. They are all tough inside midfielders who can also play outside as well and will use the ball particularly well by hand and foot. Schroder has also shown on occassion an ability to go fwd and kick goals which is instinctive. Was a consistent performer all year and he only got better in the Finals. Was interesting to note his coach was a massive wrap for him in all those games. He has tested well in the agility and beep so a midfield role beckons but could do with a yard of pace albeit similar numbers to Brodie Smith / Liberatore and Parker. For those wanting to know who he is like I would have to say maybe a Jim Bartel or a "pre groin' Luke Ball.

Why Collingwood: Schroder was best available and frankly blends well with what I have already taken. Have taken Farmer who is a HF / Wing, Johnson who could play any key position, Rankine who will play FP and move to a wing / midfield role but is very much an outside type and now Schroder who is an inside midfielder.

Others: Was between Browne who Grub picked I think with his last (Browne has a lot of AFL attributes and will go higher than Grubs selection), Hibberd who i think is the best prospect in the VFL and Schroder who was the best available. Probably need some defensive talls but plenty in the rookie who I rate so am just going best available.

Presti was on Collingwood's veterans list, so he will have to be replaced via the rookie draft (unless they elevate another player to take his place).

However, the article announcing his retirement also mentions that Jack Anthony has walked out on them with the intention of going to the GC:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/its-all-over-for-collingwoods-simon-prestigiacomo/story-e6frecj3-1225950696014

Anthony obviously hasn't thought this through, as GC can't select him in either draft unless Collingwood agree to let them. Note that GC are only allowed to take one uncontracted player per club (including via the drafts) and they've already taken Fraser from Collingwood.
There is no reason why Collingwood would not agree. In fact they would be delighted if he chooses to go to GC. Collingwood would be entitled to a compensation pick. Should Anthony go to any other club Collingwood get zilch.

I think we will elevate someone to the veterans list. I think that both Ben Johnson and Leon Davis are eligible. One would have already been promoted to replace O'Bree, so wouldn't we just promote the other one for Presti?

I think we will elevate someone to the veterans list. I think that both Ben Johnson and Leon Davis are eligible. One would have already been promoted to replace O'Bree, so wouldn't we just promote the other one for Presti?
Funny you should mention that.. Both Johnson & Davis were listed as being elevated after List Lodgement 1. Presumably this would have left them with 3 veterans (2x outside, 1x inside), until Presti announced his retirement - thereby eliminating the need for an inside veteran.

Should be Pick 72,Ysaye. Why not have a crack at a player we understand that Freo may pass this pick.

Sorry Grub - just been smashed from pillar to post at work and trying to pick someone was the furtherest from my mind. I still haven't written anything up on Hayden Yarran either.

In my couple of seconds of breathing space, may I pick:

Pick 72 - Jarrad Blight

Kyle Hartigan was unbelievably tempting with a late selection since I haven’t added any key position defenders, but I really wanted to do something a little different and take a smokie who I think will develop into a very good player.

In reality I expect Hawthorn to take Matt Spangher in the preseason draft with their final selection, but for the purposes of this game I'll put a name out there who I really like as a fit for Hawthorn.

Hawthorn – Pick 81 = Michael Hutchinson

Michael Hutchinson is probably more of a rookie selection but he is a guy I would really like to see taken at some stage in one of the drafts. Most of my other selections have been more immediate players but Hutchinson is a really athletic project player from a soccer background. Hutchinson really stood out at the U18 championships for QLD with some a couple of really good performances. Can produce some nice drive and rebound from defence.

Hutchinson is strong overhead for someone his size and really provides some nice dash from defence. Has a big leap and is a really nice all round athlete. Really like his game and I feel he is very draftable. Has allot of upside and if given a chance on an AFL list I think he will be one of the better late-rookies choices.

Will need to put on a fair bit of muscle, improve his game awareness and ability to read the play as well as well as continue to work on his skills. But I think there is allot to work with and if given a couple of years in the AFL system I think he can become a really handy footballer.

Other considerations: Kyle Hartigan, Cameron Delaney, Jaxson Barham, Charlie Riewoldt, Max Otten, Tom Schneider and Jake Batchelor.

Collingwood - Presti

Bulldogs - Hahn

Bulldogs have let go both Hahn and Tiller to have three live picks in total (after f/s and before rookie upgrades)

Pick 95 (ESSENDON)
Kelvin Lawrence - Peel Thunder

PROFILE: Very quick and exciting indigenous player who has the xxxx factor. I have been lucky enough to watch a fair bit of vision of this kid and he looks like he could really be a dangerous forward at AFL level. Lawrence has a nice shape and the body that can compete pretty early on. This is a speculative pick to be sure but there is at least one AFL club I know considering this kid closely. Would provide real excitement to an Adelaide side that has been renowned for its ability to be dogmatic and surgical rather than exciting.

OTHERS CONSIDERED: I know Foj1 rates this kid so took him here but it was a toss up between he and Uysal who I know he rates highly as well. If they were looking for a taller player than Frost may have appealed as he is keen on him as well. Cameron Johnston would have also been on his list as he thinks he could push up but he has taken Curnow and Guthrie so wanted to take a small quicker / x factor type.

PICK-101-SYDNEY-ARRYN SIPOSS (Dandenong Stingrays)

I went looking for a goalkicking half forward with this pick and although I still had 10 or 15 players on the table to consider Siposs was the pick of them for this role. He is a genuine class act when it comes to marking and kicking goals but he does have a few speed issues. The other area he needs to improve is his ability to win the ball when he can't mark it as he can rely on that a bit too much. I'd be quite happy though to see him get 8-10 touches a week and kick 4 goals. He's perfect for that third tall option.

As far as my draft goes I was looking for a small forward,small defender and maybe another key forward to bring on. There are a number of key forwards left that would be ripper rookies and a number of smaller guys as well for the other roles.Some of these positions tend to get filled by midfielders anyway so I don't see a great need for them in the main draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt this pick will be taken but ....

Gold Coast

Pick 103: Charlie Riewoldt

Okay so last pick and I have gone for the kid with the famous name who has a lot of talent, x-factor and potential. He is a medium size forward unlike the rest of his family, and he will probably always play that role, he is very strong over his head, great contested mark, similar to Jack, and also reasonable on the lead. He is also adapt at playing a crumbing role, although he lacks a bit of speed. He is a goal kicker and can do the impossible and hard ot control given his size and marking ability and x-factor. He has reasonable speed and a good vertical leap, as well as moderate agility and poor endurance. His skills are also very good, really a natural footballer whom GC can take a risk on.

Is there 5 extra picks?
If so we'll go Bulldogs(Hahn),Saints(Eddy),Magpies(Presti),Bulldogs(Tiller),Saints(Miles).

Essendon have had their Atkinson & Neagle picks and Collingwood has also had their Anthony pick.

Yeah I do not see an issue with it, but it would have to be after the other picks.

Also just confirming I do have a pick at like 103? I think I should do but am unsure as there is differing lists on this thread and the just selections one.

Yeah I do not see an issue with it, but it would have to be after the other picks.

Also just confirming I do have a pick at like 103? I think I should do but am unsure as there is differing lists on this thread and the just selections one.

You've already taken pick 103 (Riewoldt), Offsider. That concluded the draft but the other 5 picks can be taken now with Western Bulldogs up first.

Axel wants to know if it's the Bulldogs pick yet? I'll be posting the picks for him, thanks guys.

With the new picks having been slotted in at the end of the draft, the Bulldogs are now on the clock.

#109-WESTERN BULLDOGS-
#110-ST.KILDA-
#111-COLLINGWOOD-
#112-WESTERN BULLDOGS
#113-ST.KILDA-

There is no reason why Collingwood would not agree. In fact they would be delighted if he chooses to go to GC. Collingwood would be entitled to a compensation pick. Should Anthony go to any other club Collingwood get zilch.

He won't be one of their nominated uncontracted players.

He will be acquired through the national draft or pre-season draft.

So they do infact, get zilch.

With the new picks having been slotted in at the end of the draft, the Bulldogs are now on the clock.

#109-WESTERN BULLDOGS-
#110-ST.KILDA-
#111-COLLINGWOOD-
#112-WESTERN BULLDOGS
#113-ST.KILDA-

Cheers mate. This is his selection.

Pick 109: Jordon Treloar
DOB: 12/12/92, Height: 192cm, Weight: 84kg
Club: Northern Knights (Vic)

Bio: Jordon was voted most improved in 09 and IMO this year he took his game to the next level. He is a tall forward who can also play in the backline and do a job. He has an incredible marking ability so whenever the ball is near him you can bet on him to take a strong contestant mark, he’s athletic and he has a fantastic workrate as he can run all day and . Treloar always seems to make the right decisions when he has the ball so in a way you can say his possessions are damaging and finally he is a great shot on goal with 27.12 from 18 games. The only thing he has to work on is his defensive pressure. If he can get that up to AFL standard the Bulldogs could have a good solid tall on their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- THE REAL DEAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back