2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Curiously, 2011 marks the first time that the 11th-highest crowd has topped 70K (73,163 for last week's Collingwood/Essendon match). Is the AFL becoming dependent on "blockbusters" to bolster the figures in the same way that the spring carnival sustains the racing industry through the off-season?

So In fact what you are Saying is that Essendon are the biggest bandwagenors the the Competion! On anzac Day i would say 45,000 were Essendon fans and 35,000 were Collingwood due to it being a Essendon Home game! it would of been reversed it it was a Collingwood home game tho.

But apart from losing to the blues the week before you guy's had won 4 in a row!

If you were at the Game last sunday the turnout from Essendon fans was poor! out of the 73,000 that was at the game 50,000 were easily Collingwood to about 23,000 Essendon!

Carlton who is another big club lost the week before against the bulldogs then played Collingwood in front of 86,000 fans and 35,000 were Blue fans so they did not jump off the bandwagon and not too many blue fans were expecting to beat collingwood!

Essendon fans = soft fair weather fans!

No bigger a bandwagon than your team when entering a game as sitting ducks mate. Essendon are no different to Collingwood. Collingwoods crowds would fall equally as much if it was not going well on field. Of course the Essendon turn out on ANZAC Day was bigger than Collingwoods because it was an Essendon home game. And I have no doubt that there would have been a bigger turn out of Collingwood fans than Essendon fans this year if the pies were the home team - just like it will be in 2012. Essendon when going poorly generally still draw 35-40,000 to the MCG (not ethihad) to its home games. If it was an Essendon home match last Sunday I suggest there would have been close to 40,000 Essendon fans there.

Whether we had won 4 in a row previous to Carlton is not relevant to the Essendon supporter who has seen their team smashed by injury and left completely uncompetitive over the course of a full match - eg Carlton. We lost Pears, Hocking, Fletcher and Hurley from Carlton game onwards. We had to then front all powerful Collingwood. Let me assure you - we may well be soft and bandwagon (like all other teams in the same circumstances) but most Essendon fans didn't want to witness what finally eventuated last Sunday. Gopies, if your club was entering a similar situation let me assure you many Pie fans wouldn't turn up either. Thats why the turnout was poor. Simple as that.

To use Carlton as a like comparison is rediculous. One team a top 4 asparant not decimated by injury. The Coll V Carlton game talked up for weeks as a huge blockbuster which as a result was sold out probably before Carlton lost to the Bulldogs!! The other team rendered non competitive with a injured team that would likely beat 5-6 teams in its own right. Put another way, If Essendon went down competitively against Carlton and did not suffer the same injury curse during the Blues match as it did, I reckon the crowd would have been close to 85,000 and 35,000 Essendon fans would have been brave enough to go believing their team would put up a competitve performance.

Gopies, wait til Essendon are top 4 again and you will be reminded that Essendon pull crowds comparable to that of the Pies. Don't forget in the late 1990's 50-70,000 crowds against the likes of the Eagles and the Swans was common for Essendon matches at the MCG. We have drawn 50,000 several times against the Lions in sell out matches at the Dome - 2 of those matches would have drawn 60,000 if at the MCG with MCC members access. Essendon is a genuine sleeping giant.

removed Gold Coast home games: AFL average attendances: 36755
removed All Gold Coast games: AFL average attendances: 37439

2010 Home and Away averages : 36901

With out the Gold Coast the AFL average attenances would be up 1.5%

The teams that were in the competition last year have overall increased their average crowd numbers.
Interesting stat that.

GWS will, of course, reduce the average further next year - but the aggregate should be above this years new record, given the extra games to be played.

Round 20 crowds

St Kilda v Fremantle (Docklands) 26,181
Geelong v Gold Coast (Kardinia) 24,588
Carlton v Melbourne (MCG) 42,342
Essendon v Sydney (Docklands) 38,722
Port Adelaide v Collingwood (Football Park) 21,863
Brisbane v Adelaide (Gabba) 17,930
Hawthorn v North Melbourne (York) 16,820
West Coast v Richmond (Subiaco) 38,106

No bigger a bandwagon than your team when entering a game as sitting ducks mate. Essendon are no different to Collingwood. Collingwoods crowds would fall equally as much if it was not going well on field. Of course the Essendon turn out on ANZAC Day was bigger than Collingwoods because it was an Essendon home game. And I have no doubt that there would have been a bigger turn out of Collingwood fans than Essendon fans this year if the pies were the home team - just like it will be in 2012. Essendon when going poorly generally still draw 35-40,000 to the MCG (not ethihad) to its home games. If it was an Essendon home match last Sunday I suggest there would have been close to 40,000 Essendon fans there.

Whether we had won 4 in a row previous to Carlton is not relevant to the Essendon supporter who has seen their team smashed by injury and left completely uncompetitive over the course of a full match - eg Carlton. We lost Pears, Hocking, Fletcher and Hurley from Carlton game onwards. We had to then front all powerful Collingwood. Let me assure you - we may well be soft and bandwagon (like all other teams in the same circumstances) but most Essendon fans didn't want to witness what finally eventuated last Sunday. Gopies, if your club was entering a similar situation let me assure you many Pie fans wouldn't turn up either. Thats why the turnout was poor. Simple as that.

To use Carlton as a like comparison is rediculous. One team a top 4 asparant not decimated by injury. The Coll V Carlton game talked up for weeks as a huge blockbuster which as a result was sold out probably before Carlton lost to the Bulldogs!! The other team rendered non competitive with a injured team that would likely beat 5-6 teams in its own right. Put another way, If Essendon went down competitively against Carlton and did not suffer the same injury curse during the Blues match as it did, I reckon the crowd would have been close to 85,000 and 35,000 Essendon fans would have been brave enough to go believing their team would put up a competitve performance.

Gopies, wait til Essendon are top 4 again and you will be reminded that Essendon pull crowds comparable to that of the Pies. Don't forget in the late 1990's 50-70,000 crowds against the likes of the Eagles and the Swans was common for Essendon matches at the MCG. We have drawn 50,000 several times against the Lions in sell out matches at the Dome - 2 of those matches would have drawn 60,000 if at the MCG with MCC members access. Essendon is a genuine sleeping giant.[/quo

Im not saying that Essendon are a big club cos they are but the way they droped off after one loss was shocking.

you also say if tge roles were reversed the same would of happened to collingwood well if we look at 2009 Round 8 Collingwood played Carlton and we went into the game decimaited by injuries having like 7 of our best players out, lost by 60pts got flooged by StKilda the week before by 80pts and 82,834 fans turn out with 40,000 being collingwood fans so dont go an say to me that Collingwood supporters dont stick by there team!

Good crowd at York Park today, plenty of Kangaroo fans there. Nearly beat the Gabba figure despite the weather.

Three disappointing crowds for the round -Saints, Port and Bris. The rest were pretty good.

Im not saying that Essendon are a big club cos they are but the way they droped off after one loss was shocking.

you also say if tge roles were reversed the same would of happened to collingwood well if we look at 2009 Round 8 Collingwood played Carlton and we went into the game decimaited by injuries having like 7 of our best players out, lost by 60pts got flooged by StKilda the week before by 80pts and 82,834 fans turn out with 40,000 being collingwood fans so dont go an say to me that Collingwood supporters dont stick by there team!

Don't think he's saying that. I think the deal was just that it was a Collingwood home game and Essendon were coming off a big loss, and going into the game with a long injury list. Add to that the fact it was a Sunday, and you have your lower attendance.

Honestly, I tipped 75,000 going in, and it was close to that. Just is what it is.

And I don't think anyone is calling Collingwood bandwagoners. Historically they and Essendon have always held pretty strong in bad years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good crowd at York Park today, plenty of Kangaroo fans there. Nearly beat the Gabba figure despite the weather.

Three disappointing crowds for the round -Saints, Port and Bris. The rest were pretty good.

Have heard of people trying to buy tickets after the game had commenced being turned away as it was a 'sell out' and some not being let in with tickets until after quarter time.

official figure was 15k. looking and listening to the crowd i'd say there was literally 9,000 melbourne fans there

15,739. Eagles have a decent support level in Melbourne too, usually good for 5k if they are going okay.

official figure was 15k. looking and listening to the crowd i'd say there was literally 9,000 melbourne fans there

I read in another thread that some idiot wanted the AFL to build a new stadium in Casey so Melbourne could play visiting clubs from interstate there.

Given they won't even go across the CBD to play at Etihad, what are the chances they'd go across the entire city to go to Casey???

What happened to playing at smaller grounds for these lesser games? ie rebooting old grounds that were used for the VFL?!?!?!

Empty stadiums look dire, not just on tv, but im sure it doesnt make the patrons feel any better to see sections and sections of empty seats

What happened to playing at smaller grounds for these lesser games? ie rebooting old grounds that were used for the VFL?!?!?!

Empty stadiums look dire, not just on tv, but im sure it doesnt make the patrons feel any better to see sections and sections of empty seats

It's nowhere near as bad as thugby league drawing 8-10,000 in an 80,000 seat stadium, which seems to happen with alarming regularity

It's nowhere near as bad as thugby league drawing 8-10,000 in an 80,000 seat stadium, which seems to happen with alarming regularity

Yeh but you didnt have to go all the way across the country to play in front of absolutely nobody, but lets stick this to talking about the crowds, it seemed like those plastic seats were getting a bit lonely with this protracted regular season

Round 21 crowds

St Kilda v Collingwood (Docklands) 46,505
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide (MCG) 27,532
Fremantle v Carlton (Subiaco) 34,737
Brisbane v Gold Coast (Gabba) 23,565
Western Bulldogs v Essendon (Docklands) 38,986
Melbourne v West Coast (Docklands) 15,709
Richmond v Sydney (MCG) 34,337
Adelaide v Geelong (Football Park) 33,576

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad