2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 21 crowds

St Kilda

A FINE EFFORT BY THOSE ALL ROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krusty.gif

GIVE IT UP FOR THOSE HEARTY SOULS LOOKING TO CHEER ON THEIR TEAM WEEK IN WEEK OUT THICK AND THIN, THEY ARE THE HEART AND SOUL OF THEIR CLUBS

I read in another thread that some idiot wanted the AFL to build a new stadium in Casey so Melbourne could play visiting clubs from interstate there.

Given they won't even go across the CBD to play at Etihad, what are the chances they'd go across the entire city to go to Casey???

I don't think their supporters would make the journey, question is if the locals around the area would go to games.

AFL wont spend a dime on a small stadium within Melbourne.

Where is the clamour of threads on Melbourne's piss poor crowd all drawing the conclusion that they should be relocated/killed as a result?

Creatively, the crowd was said to be more than 15,000. A sizeable minority wore West Coast guernseys from every era, ex-pats hastily and happily re-claiming their birthright from bottoms draws. There were enough of them to send up a mini Subiaco Oval ''Eagles'' chant during the last quarter, and for some players to run ''high fives'' along the fence when their inevitable eight-goal win was complete.

The Melbourne faithful were thin on the ground. The super-boxes were a ghost town. For some, it is a matter of offended principle; this is NOT the home of the Dees, and they will never come. For some, it is practical: they never win here anyway, against anyone. For most, their absence can be euphemistically explained as skipper Brad Green's was yesterday: general soreness.

Coming to Melbourne this week for Storm vs Dragons NRL game on Friday night, thought I'd check out my third ever AFL game...thinking North vs Freo on Saturday night at Etihad. Will the crowd/atmosphere be decent for this one? Seems like 2 teams fighting for the 8...

Alternative is pies/lions at MCG but I imagine that won't be much of a contest looking at the table?

Where is the clamour of threads on Melbourne's piss poor crowd all drawing the conclusion that they should be relocated/killed as a result?

Do melbourne get a similar deal to Geelong/kardinia Park where they earn a shit tonne of money on a small crowd anyway?

If they dont, Melbourne should swallow there pride and play games against interstate clubs at Etihad. Every other Melbourne Club does, Even Collingwood on occasion.

Coming to Melbourne this week for Storm vs Dragons NRL game on Friday night, thought I'd check out my third ever AFL game...thinking North vs Freo on Saturday night at Etihad. Will the crowd/atmosphere be decent for this one? Seems like 2 teams fighting for the 8...

Alternative is pies/lions at MCG but I imagine that won't be much of a contest looking at the table?

Docklands generally closes the top level when we play against interstate clubs and even if the ground isn't full the atmosphere is pretty good as long as there is a contest.

I would hope we get a reasonable turn out but it is pretty much a dead rubber for us and Freo rarely come to Melbourne and play well.

So with top level closed, does that cap the capacity to what, 30000?

Do Freo have any kind of following in Melbourne or will it just be the diehards who travel?

If they dont, Melbourne should swallow there pride and play games against interstate clubs at Etihad. Every other Melbourne Club does, Even Collingwood on occasion.

Clubs are worse off at Etihad Stadium with small crowds than they are at the MCG, I believe.

Anyhoo, Melbourne have nearly 37,000 members. Attracting a crowd of 15,000 anywhere in Melbourne is embarassing.

So with top level closed, does that cap the capacity to what, 30000?

Do Freo have any kind of following in Melbourne or will it just be the diehards who travel?

Probably just the diehards. Given neither team has much of chance at making finals if they crack 20k attendance they're doing well. That said, it's likely to be a better contest than the Pies/Lions match, which will be well attended albeit with plenty of Collingwood supporters expecting a rout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The MCG would probably get close to 50k (overwhemingly 'woods barrackers, obviously). The North v Freo will be almost certainly be under 20k - but perhaps a better contest. But I still would pick the MCG over Docklands (unless it's raining).

Will be a poor round of football in Melbourne attendance wise. While North vs Freo will probably be the best contest, it will most likely also have the smallest crowd.

Clubs are worse off at Etihad Stadium with small crowds than they are at the MCG, I believe.

Anyhoo, Melbourne have nearly 37,000 members. Attracting a crowd of 15,000 anywhere in Melbourne is embarassing.

Any crowd under 30k at the MCG looks embarrassing. Melbourne, even if they came good doesnt have the supporter base to match it with Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn - and those 5 teams should be the tennants of the MCG.
in comparison 30k at any other ground in australia looks fairly decent. 'Fairly decent' crowds are way more appealing to sit and watch a game from rather than pitiful ones. It would help them IMO long term to build a bigger supporter base.

Any crowd under 30k at the MCG looks embarrassing.

Too true. Probably time to move away from the 'home ground' model and just play matches in whatever stadium suits them best. Essendon already do this to some degree and it works well - play high-drawing games at the G and everything else at Etihad.

The RL game (I can't wait for it) will be the best of the three you mention for contest and atmosphere. The AFL games are split on that.

As others have said a "good" contest ie: close game.. go the North v Freo game, bonus is you'll get general admission on level 1 when its usually level 3 only (in most cases).

However imo I wouldn't give up the chance to watch this Collingwood side at the MCG regardless of opposition. As much as I hate them, they're a great footy team... to see them play in person would be a highlight. That's assuming they play at or near their best.

However imo I wouldn't give up the chance to watch this Collingwood side at the MCG regardless of opposition. As much as I hate them, they're a great footy team... to see them play in person would be a highlight. That's assuming they play at or near their best.

nice point, yeah you're right, its always a pleasure to watch those once in a generation teams, regardless of who they are or what sport they play...always good to see the benchmark.

Maybe I could throw $20 on the lions and cheer like mad!

If you want 'atmosphere' and 'colour', go see the Pies and potentially a footy masterclass.

For a contest, NM v Freo and getting a seat and accessing the loos and getting in and out of the venue shouldn't be a major stress. Which is why over the years, I take my kids to a lot of these type games because they won't be too crowded and busy.

If you do go watch North, look for Matty Campbell up forward, Goldy in the ruck who has really come of age this year, Wells for silky smooth, Petrie for contested marks and Ziebell for finally shaking off 2 years with 2 broken legs and getting fitness and now becoming a machine in the inside contested ball 'extraction'.....and then of course Boomer who still looks like a 16 yr old kid running around out there but is the oldest Roo by a mile.

The RL game (I can't wait for it) will be the best of the three you mention for contest and atmosphere. The AFL games are split on that.

As others have said a "good" contest ie: close game.. go the North v Freo game, bonus is you'll get general admission on level 1 when its usually level 3 only (in most cases).

Carlton V Hawthorn at Etihad with 50,000 will easily be the biggest game this weekend in Melbourne. Your both going to the wrong game on Friday night.

Do melbourne get a similar deal to Geelong/kardinia Park where they earn a shit tonne of money on a small crowd anyway?

The difference is that Geelong's 'small' crowd is 22k these days. All the missing numbers on non-capacity crowds are presold seats anyway.

The difference is that Geelong's 'small' crowd is 22k these days. All the missing numbers on non-capacity crowds are presold seats anyway.

Games at Kardinia are 15k under average game crowds, I would Consider that small.

22k at Kardinia looks good though, 22k at MCG just looks Embarrassing. I can only assume Melbourne get a good deal to play all at the MCG, as opposed to playing games at the most appropriate ground.

Round 22 crowds

Carlton v Hawthorn (Docklands) 52,052
Gold Coast v Adelaide (Carrara) 16,168
West Coast v Essendon (Subiaco) 38,253
Collingwood v Brisbane (MCG) 47,788
North Melbourne v Fremantle (Docklands) 17,581
Sydney v St Kilda (Stadium Australia) 25,025
Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs (Football Park) 14,169
Melbourne v Richmond (MCG) 36,321

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 crowds

Remove this Banner Ad