List Mgmt. 2011 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about now, not 20 odd years ago.

Richo stands out as the exception, but the rest? All were supremely skilled players, but how many were what we define today as a great athlete?

Well the definition of 'great athlete' is pretty subjective isn't it? But I picked these players in particular b/c they were great players but also great athletes. I would say all these were great athletes, people like Richo, Disco and Royce Hart were super athletes. Jack R is another one for today.

There may be fewer footy athletes in Tassie now, but certainly the % of people we consider athletes would not have dropped comparative to other states - they would be just in other sports like Greenwood in Bball. Maybe its a bit like the ALF 'stealing' all Vics good young cricketers etc (although that seems to be addresses a little recently).

Anyway, Geelong don't mind a pure footballer to an athlete, in fact I'd say we prefer them, as long as they are competent athletically - but take that as a given.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-a-club-finding-a-roughie-20111119-1nojy.html

Here is Emma Quayles favourite 25 players of the draft. Despite not being in the 25, I'm extremely happy to see Damian Mascitti get a small mention. I was beginning to think tht I was the only one who rated him!

Good to see Sam Kerridge get in the Top 20 too. The three main guys who weren't in the mix are probably Murray Newman, Myles Bolger and Andrew Boseley.

Love to see us get Bolger, Bosesley and Newman!!!! Let Bolger be a backup ruck and give him a year or 2...

Firstly, why aren't we using top picks to get a ruck, as we are kinda 'need' one. And why are we trying to get mids and small forwards, we have many on our list anyways. I suggest that we should try to get quality KPF, KPD and ruck.

Firstly, why aren't we using top picks to get a ruck, as we are kinda 'need' one. And why are we trying to get mids and small forwards, we have many on our list anyways. I suggest that we should try to get quality KPF, KPD and ruck.

Don't expect Wells to give much away prior to the draft.

205cm ex-basketballer, Tom Downie from North Ballarat could very well be in his sights.

I'm pretty sure KPFs, KPDs and ruckmen will be on our agenda for the draft.

I think our drafting philosophy generally is picking the best available player with our first pick, then drafting to fill our needs with our subsequent picks.

Wouldn't surprise me if we draft a midfielder with our first pick, and then the remaining picks are used on talls.

Personally, I would be happy with any 2 of Boseley, Talia, Lockyer, Murdoch, Forster, Paine, Kerridge and Grigg with picks 32 and 34. I would preferably prefer to take at least one tall (I include Lockyer in this category) with these picks but if the rated ones are gone (doubt they all will be) then taking another 2 mid sized players wouldn't phase me.

I will be intrigued as to where Schade gets drafted. If we do go small with our first 2 picks then I would hope that he would be around for pick 48. I don't know whether he is worthy of picks 32 or 34? Can he take a contested mark? I'm always a little nervous taking players outside of Vic/SA/WA. Does the quality of players Schade has been exposed to measure up?

It's hard to have a strong feel for our picks from 48 on. You just have no idea who will be left at this stage of the draft. If we are to believe most of the phantoms that are around then the likes of Tynan, Dobosz, Bussey, Crisp, Sheehan, Roberts and Richards may be looked at.

History would show you can get good rucks through the rookie or unconventional pathways. Mumford, Cox, Sandilands. I would take rucks very late, one in draft, one in rookie. Ignore those through traditional draft channels. Unless they are in the first few picks, rucks have a low strike rate of success. Best to increase your chances by taking two late, than one early.

Well the definition of 'great athlete' is pretty subjective isn't it? But I picked these players in particular b/c they were great players but also great athletes. I would say all these were great athletes, people like Richo, Disco and Royce Hart were super athletes. Jack R is another one for today.

There may be fewer footy athletes in Tassie now, but certainly the % of people we consider athletes would not have dropped comparative to other states - they would be just in other sports like Greenwood in Bball. Maybe its a bit like the ALF 'stealing' all Vics good young cricketers etc (although that seems to be addresses a little recently).

Anyway, Geelong don't mind a pure footballer to an athlete, in fact I'd say we prefer them, as long as they are competent athletically - but take that as a given.

See now there's the problem.

I don't classify Jack R as a great athlete.

I seem to remember the knock on him as a junior was that he was slow.

I countered that by saying that he may be slow, but he's a strong mark and a great finisher.

So again, i'd say he's more a footballer than an athlete.

History would show you can get good rucks through the rookie or unconventional pathways. Mumford, Cox, Sandilands. I would take rucks very late, one in draft, one in rookie. Ignore those through traditional draft channels. Unless they are in the first few picks, rucks have a low strike rate of success. Best to increase your chances by taking two late, than one early.

Vardy was taken at pick 42 and shows a bit. :thumbsu:

Just reading Emma Quayle's "Guide to the Draft 2011".

DRAFT NEEDS

The Cats have something handy up their sleeve heading into the draft: the mid-round compensation pick they got for Gary Ablett. Geelong would already be thinking about who it could get with that pick in a highly anticipated draft; that thinking will have helped shape its plans.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/guide-to-the-2011-afl-draft-20111118-1nnaf.html

Does she think we are using it (Ablett Compo Pick) or have I misread what she is saying?

No, she's saying that our picks this year will in part be determined by the knowledge of a) who will be available to us next year with that pick and b) the potential availability of Bourke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, she's saying that our picks this year will in part be determined by the knowledge of a) who will be available to us next year with that pick and b) the potential availability of Bourke.

That makes more sense. Emma is usually pretty switched on.

When will the media be releasing there phantom drafts. There is usually one from afl.com.au, Herald Sun and The Age. They're leaving it very late if they are doing one.

When will the media be releasing there phantom drafts. There is usually one from afl.com.au, Herald Sun and The Age. They're leaving it very late if they are doing one.
Yeah, tweeted Emma on behalf of BigFootyCats just now and she confirmed this is what she meant. One of the better footy journalists out there.

EQ's will be in the paper on draft day; not sure about the Hun's (and it's usually rubbish anyway) and Daffey's will probably be Tuesday. I imagine only Daffey's will be of direct interest to us anyway, other two only usually do the first round.

EQ's will be in the paper on draft day; not sure about the Hun's (and it's usually rubbish anyway) and Daffey's will probably be Tuesday. I imagine only Daffey's will be of direct interest to us anyway, other two only usually do the first round.

Agree, from memory it was Jay Clark who did it last year.

Good to hear Daffey will have his up soon. He actually predicted we would get Smedts last year.

I will be intrigued as to where Schade gets drafted. If we do go small with our first 2 picks then I would hope that he would be around for pick 48. I don't know whether he is worthy of picks 32 or 34? Can he take a contested mark? I'm always a little nervous taking players outside of Vic/SA/WA. Does the quality of players Schade has been exposed to measure up?
Schade certainly looks good clearing from defense with his mobility and kicking, but he does seem to have a bit to prove with his ability 1:1. At the moment he is looking like a Schoenmakers type to me - I don't consider that a knock on him, but doesn't exactly meet the description of the KPD we are after even though he may develop into a very good player in time. There seems to be differing opinions in the mocks and some have him first round, others very late. Would certainly be happy with him at 48.

Totally agree with this.

Look at the ruck superstars in the AFL right now - Sandilands, Cox, Mumford, Jolly ... these guys were ALL rookies.

And a whole heap of ruckmen taken in the first round in the last 10 years or so have disappointed - think of Laycock, Meesen, Leuenberger (although still time for him), Kosi (arguably a ruck), Kepler Bradley (also arguably a ruck), Hale, Cameron Wood ... wow. Hardly a sparkling list of first rounders. How about Llane Spaanderman - anyone remember him? Didn't think so!

Kreuzer, Naitanui, Mitch Clark and Paddy Ryder are probably the exceptions, although the last two in particular don't play much in the ruck these days.

Otto (#2 in 1997) is probably the best first round ruck pick of all time.

Schade certainly looks good clearing from defense with his mobility and kicking, but he does seem to have a bit to prove with his ability 1:1. At the moment he is looking like a Schoenmakers type to me - I don't consider that a knock on him, but doesn't exactly meet the description of the KPD we are after even though he may develop into a very good player in time. There seems to be differing opinions in the mocks and some have him first round, others very late. Would certainly be happy with him at 48.

Schoenmakers is comfortably the worst KPD in the AFL right now, and that's beating out some pretty stiff competition.

I haven't seen Schade play, but if that's what he brings, no thanks.

Can someone please confirm that our draft selections are 32, 34, 48, 66, 78 and 86(FS)? I didn't think we had that many live selections??

Schoenmakers is comfortably the worst KPD in the AFL right now, and that's beating out some pretty stiff competition.

I haven't seen Schade play, but if that's what he brings, no thanks.
:D I wouldn't say he is the worst in the competition, but I do see your point.

Perhaps it is an unfair comparison, I suppose my point is that I would see his strengths are he provides run from full back and he is a good clearing kick. As opposed to Boseley, who is good 1:1 but his kicking is a little suspect. Not really a criticism of him as a player, but just they have shown different strengths to this point. That's not to say that with development they couldn't both be very good fullbacks (or even Schoenmakers for that matter :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back