BigFooty Official 2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

# 69 - Carlton (Beowulf)

Michael Close - North Ballarat / 194cm / Key Fwd

* Beowulf took this selection bc the kid you gave me as first preference isnt eligible. '95 babies are a no go my friend. Let me know if I have it wrong but not to matter nobody has him so you will be clear on him if I have it wrong.
No worries. I wasn't sure of the cutoff date, so I did have 2 January guys on the list I sent. If they aren't elligible, so be it.
I'm glad Close was still available: the rest of my favourites have been dropping like flies.

# 66 Port Adelaide (Toadvine)

Khan Haretuku - Frankston Dolphins / Key Fwd / 191cm'ish?

*Toadvine will send write up thru in due course

Khan is a ready-made CHF who plays for the lowly Frankston Dolphins. He is around 197cm at my guess (just checked 199cm on the VFL site) and does extremely well considering the Dolphins starved forward 50, kicking 30 odd goals so far this season.

A hard worker who leads well and has shown he can kick goals in clutch situations, He has also displayed some ability to go in the Ruck. Still has some work to do in terms of body positioning and over head ability but at 22 he best footy is well and truly in front of him.

# 61 - Sydney (raymann)

Jordan Bourke - Morningside / 193 / 83

This is a needs selection for the Swans.

Jordan was a member of the AIS 2012. He is a Tall mobile forward who is an excellent contested mark and has a good work ethic. Above average set shot for goal. Strong boot. Jordan is also a capable defender (played as a defender for AIS in Europe). An ideal swing man!

Currently playing for Geelong VFL and kicked 3 goals for them last week. Possible zone selection for GC. He will either end up a cat or a sun, but if by some miracle he is available I would not hesitate to select him!

Khan is a ready-made CHF who plays for the lowly Frankston Dolphins. He is around 197cm at my guess (just checked 199cm on the VFL site) and does extremely well considering the Dolphins starved forward 50, kicking 30 odd goals so far this season.

A hard worker who leads well and has shown he can kick goals in clutch situations, He has also displayed some ability to go in the Ruck. Still has some work to do in terms of body positioning and over head ability but at 22 he best footy is well and truly in front of him.
Also a former St Kilda NSW scholarship prospect, rookie listed for one year then cut by Ross Lyon who didn't believe he'd make AFL grade. 199cm sounds about right.

# 63 Gold Coast Suns (Offsider)

Offsider wasnt on for a few hours so in order to keep rolling we have taken Chris25 next available. If Offsider comes on soon then we can change if he wants someone else.

Todd McKay (176cm midfielder - South Adelaide)

The forgotten man from SA. He played as an underaged kid in the Championships last year, and he performed well. And he took that form back into the SANFL with him, making his league debut and playing in some finals. This year, McKay played the first five games in the South Adelaide league side and was arguably their best clearance player. But in the 6th game, he hurt his knee and is still on the sidelines. He is a nice kick and runs hard, although it is his contested game that is the highlight. "Chris25 writeup"

Sorry wasn't able to be on, had work commitments. Happy with the pick though as I had three players in mind with this pick, and although he wasn't first on the list he was a close second. Coming into the year I had McKay as a late first rounder/early second rounder on talent, and although he has talent I think this is probably where he will get picked up due to injury and size. I rate him as a similar type player to Sam Mitchell, he is a smallish inside player who is a very efficient user of the ball and manages to extract the ball with quick hands. His inside game is very good and he spreads well and finds the ball well in space and uses the pill nicely. He looks to have good athletic ability, he is quickish and quite agile, he also appears to have good endurance. It will be interesting to see what height he measures in at if it is close to 180cm that will help his cause, but I have worries as he is not only short but not stocky and quite small, it is generally the stocky inside players who are short that get drafted. Nevertheless he does have a lot of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

# 70 St Kilda (Knightmare on behalf of Monocle)

Cameron Banfield (VIC – Util)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 01/02/1994
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Profile: Always seems to have plenty of time and space. Has played mostly down back this season but has the versatility to play through the midfield or up forward. Down back Banfield this year has the ability to set up play and meaningful forward movements by foot. Banfield is one of those players with more time than the next player and finds his targets by foot every time.

No worries. I wasn't sure of the cutoff date, so I did have 2 January guys on the list I sent. If they aren't elligible, so be it.
I'm glad Close was still available: the rest of my favourites have been dropping like flies.

Michael Close

Nice selection. I had him on my list for the Swans. Played very well in his only VC game v QLD. Would have been the regular CHF for VC if he did not get injured in the QLD game. Good size, nice skills, good contested mark. Can also ruck a bit!

# 72 North Melbourne (AS211)

Freddie Clutterbuck - East Perth / 182 / 80

I doubt anyone else will nab him.

Freddie was invited to train with Melbourne last year and fought it out with a few other hopefuls for a rookie spot with the Dee's, that might seem as a bit off a put off, he can't even get a rookie spot with the Dees. Now consider the fact that Freddie wasn't considered good enough to play league football for Easts in 2011.

This is a late bloomer with an unquestionable work ethic who just has a knack for finding the football and tank which puts him in the top tier.

Clutterbuck is uncannily similar to Barlow in his movements and natural ball winning ability with better footskills and freer lateral movement, think Barlow pre Palmer.

His hands in close are good, but no quite at Barlows level.

Clutterbuck is on an upward curve and has continued his rise pushing his average possession tally up to 25 a week for Easts.

Absolutely a plug in and play pick who needs one pre-season to get up to scratch.

A fairly honest pick this late in the draft.

#68 - Richmond - Marvin Warrell (182cm Small Forward/Midfielder - South Fremantle)

This is more a needs based pick for Richmond as we are desperate for a quality small forward that isn't incompetent in the air. I had Warrell or Chris Yarran pegged for this selection in order to fill this need and I think both fit quite well. The thing that seperates the two IMO is Warrell can rotate further up the field and have an impact too either on the wing or a back flank as a rebounding defender and versatility is the key for small forwards in the AFL these days. Warrell is a possibility to last through to the rookie draft but was more than happy to snap him up as our 5th pick.

He is a very classy small forward with solid skills but probably has some room for improvement if he is to play further up the ground. As a small forward though the thing that gives me confidence in selecting him is he has very good accuracy around goal which is realistically what he will be selected for.

He has good speed and is a good tackler but is an area where he would really need to improve to make the grade. Has the potential to be elite in this area. His ferocity at his opponent is impressive (only 70kg's) but he could really lift his numbers up. Another area which I see him with huge potential is his aerial ability. Has a good leap on him and think he will be a tough match up with his ability to take a good mark along with his crumbing ability.

Long term I think he will make a handy partner for Gibson Turner (who is developing nicely when not injured) with both being good in the air and on the ground causing nightmares for opposing defenders.

# 74 WCE (Chris25)

Harrison Marsh (188cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

I was quite disappointed in Marsh's U18 Championships, not because of his performances but due to the position he played. I think he has the makings of a very good midfielder, he is an excellent size, moves well and is strong in the clearances. But for WA, he played all three of his games as the third tall defender. So he barely won any ball, and while his defensive work was good, I just think he could have done so much more if he was given the opportunity

Michael Close

Nice selection. I had him on my list for the Swans. Played very well in his only VC game v QLD. Would have been the regular CHF for VC if he did not get injured in the QLD game. Good size, nice skills, good contested mark. Can also ruck a bit!
The reason I chose Close was his versatility: he is big enough to take some ruck work, while mobile enough to move around the forward line. His skills are OK, but I wouldn't say they stuck out like Whitfield's. He can take a nice cotested mark, even pack marks sometimes. He usually plays in front, which I also like as a forward.
Basically, he is what we were looking for when we recruited Rowe last year: someone who can be a tall target and a sometime ruckman.
He will take a while: I wouldn't expect him to be senior ready for the start of 2013. He needs to develop the body a bit. But he has the basic material to make a decent forward.

# 75 Collingwood (knightmare)

Sean Lynch (WA – Mid/Def)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 30/01/1994
Recruited from: South Fremantle

Profile: High production outside midfielder who can also play off a back flank. Has impressive pace. Work rate excellent. Real link up type player and has a natural read on the game and knows where to run. Also has impressed with his kicking skills and is a good user of the footy. Lacks the flashiness of many back flank types but he makes up for it with the substance in his play and production. Defensively could put some further work into his game but otherwise I’ve liked what I’ve seen up to this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official 2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back