BigFooty Official 2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

# 77 Hawthorn (Knightmare on behalf of Swannies)

Brodie Murdoch (SA – Fwd/KPF)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 21/01/1994
Recruited from: Glenelg

Profile: Murdoch is a slightly undersized key forward who might need to settle into more of a 3rd tall leading role which he is probably more suited to at the next level. At U18 level gets impressive mark totals, but at senior level I suspect this might dry up because with zones it is allot harder for these leading type forwards to have a great impact. For a tall I really like Murdoch’s kicking and has a really nice left foot on him. Physically Murdoch still has a fair way to go and I expect he has a fair bit of development left which is positive, so if Murdoch can grow those couple more cm he could be a legit draft prospect.

......bugger I wanted him next! I am staggered he and Hrovat last as late as they did.

#78 Adelaide (Thunderstruck)

Jack Hannath - Central Districts / 200cm / 100kg / 22? (RUCK)

# 79 Sydney (Raymann)

Matt Rennie - Dandenong Stingrays / 190cm / 79kg (Fwd)

ok - we have finished the 4th round. I will do two more rounds as have a lot of peoples picks left so lets just get them up. For those who havent given me a pick I will just hit pass.

Well done to all. Suspect Chris25 will do a club by club analysis which would be great

ROUND 5
# 80 GWS Oliver Johnson
# 81 Gold Coast Clay Cameron
# 82 Melbourne Brian Coleman-Broome
# 83 Bulldogs PASS
# 84 Port Adelaide Kyle Martin
# 85 Brisbane Andrew Stokes
# 86 Richmond Jackson Coleman
# 87 Carlton Josh Scott
# 88 St Kilda PASS
# 89 Fremantle Cameron Wohling
# 90 North Melbourne Clancie Wheeler
# 91 Geelong Tom Tyquin
# 92 Essendon Matthew Dick
# 93 West Coast PASS
# 94 Collingwood Darcy Fort
# 95 Hawthorn - PASS
# 96 Adelaide - Paul Marshall
# 97 Sydney - Lachie Hunter

Write-up for Rory Atkins.

# 29 Richmond - Rory Atkins (183cm midfielder - Calder)

I'm a huge Atkins fan, I think he's my favourite kid in the draft.

As such I probably have him a little bit higher than others on here, but that's the beauty of an exercise such as this.

Atkins is quick without being blinding, got very neat disposal without being elite, but finds a hell of a lot of it and does hurt the opposition when he gets it.

He's one of those 65 metre players I love, he runs it 15-20 and kicks it 45-50. Didn't have a dominant champs which will probably drop him down a bit, but has been rampant for the Cannons, and constantly racks up 25-30 touches for them.

Atkins is really good at finding space, and also at getting his team mates involved in the game, he links up very effectively when he's on the spread, and he doesn't need much room to get loose. He's a natural at finding room, so looks faster than he is.

Can go inside and get the hard ball, and can then really hurt you on the outside, and these are the kind of midfielders I love. I know that a few others have Atkins as an inside midfielder at AFL level, but I think that he's best suited as an outside runner on a wing, who can play both ways and win his own ball when required.

I certainly think he's got the hurt factor to go higher than most think, and I'd have absolutely no hesitations taking him here.

Pick 79 Sydney Matt Rennie - Dandenong Stingrays (190cm 82kg)

Matt is one of the better contested marks in the Tac Cup. His last six weeks have been outstanding for the Stingrays. He had a great game v Murray a few weeks back taking 17 marks and kicking 4 goals. Again last weekend he was very good against the ranges taking a dozen marks (9 contested).

He presents well and gives a second and third effort, works hard to keep the ball in the forward fifty. Looking forward to tomorrows game as he will be matched up against Tanner Smith, should be a great contest.

Matt needs to work on his consistency and his disposal. At times he tends to kick of one step and sprays them. I am sure once in a full time AFL environment he will iron out these minor issues.

Matt has also played as a KPD for the stingrays and should be considered a genuine swing man. Has Sydney written all over him!

ROUND 6
# 98 GWS Liam Byrne
# 99 Gold Coast James Ives
# 100 Melbourne Spencer White
# 101 Bulldogs PASS
# 102 Port Adelaide Jacob Ballard
# 103 Brisbane Kenny Ong
# 104 Richmond Ian McGivillray
# 105 Carlton PASS
# 106 St Kilda PASS
# 107 Fremantle William Falland
# 108 North Melbourne Kyle Hartigan
# 109 Geelong Mason Wood
# 110 Essendon PASS
# 111 West Coast PASS
# 112 Collingwood Craig Moller
# 113 Hawthorn - PASS
# 114 Adelaide - Mason Middleton
# 115 Sydney - Lewis Pierce

ROUND 7
# 116 GWS Luke McDonald
# 117 Gold Coast PASS
# 118 Melbourne Sam Critchley
# 119 Bulldogs PASS
# 120 Port Adelaide Jake Neade
# 121 Brisbane Jermaine Wardle
# 122 Richmond Allir Allir
# 123 Carlton PASS
# 124 St Kilda PASS
# 125 Fremantle Dale Wallam
# 126 North Melbourne PASS
# 127 Geelong Jake McKenzie
# 128 Essendon PASS
# 129 West Coast PASS
# 130 Collingwood Leigh Osborne
# 131 Hawthorn - PASS
# 132 Adelaide - Luke Habel
# 133 Sydney - Tim McGennis

Collingwood Pick #76 - Sean Lynch:
Very surprised to see Lynch still available this late in the draft. He doesn't seem to be the flavour of the month, at least on bigfooty with other more fashionable selections going first but I'm more than happy to capitalise this late on a serious value guy and adding Lynch along with Montgomery to the backline stocks would be a real win for Collingwood in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Lynch is a back flanker/ outside midfield with a very high work rate and elite endurance. The guy is a running machine and collected some big numbers throughout the u18 champs and has also played some very productive footy for the South Fremantle colts. Lynch other than his endurance and work rate really stands out with his ability to read the game and also is one of those guys who knows where to run to find the footy and is excellent as a linkup player. Lynch isn't the super flashy back flanker/ outside midfielder with the weapons some of the AFL's elite possess but none the less Lynch has some real pace on him and uses it well but also importantly uses it well by both hand and foot and looks a handy player.

Collingwood Pick #94 - Darcy Fort:
Every year there is a ruckman who comes into the draft mix late in the season. Last year it was Tom Downie, this year it is Darcy Fort.

In Collingwood's situation another young ruckman is NOT a need but for the purposes of a trial draft to get names out there Fort is one of those guys you'll likely be hearing about allot more over this last part of the year with his stocks on the rise and limited ruck talent after Grundy this year.

The key for me with young ruckmen it's the development they show throughout the years and throughout the season and Fort ticks these boxes and has shown me this continues improvement throughout the season and has really added allot of weapons to his game and has improved a number of areas of his game out of sight.

I've been really encouraged with Fort's ability to take a contested grab and as the season has progressed we have seen him present as more of a marking threat around the ground. Fort is a very willing tackler and this is an area of his game that has shown great growth throughout the year and has in recent weeks has been a feature of his game. Tapwork good and like the rest of his game also seems to be improving rapidly, getting a hand on more balls but also showing that he can tap to the advantage of his midfield group. Fort contributions well around the ground and gets involved in the play. With Fort you just feel there is something to work with and from all reports he is a hard worker and add to that the strong improvement he has shown throughout the season and I see allot more growth left in his game.

# 72 Geelong (Lemmingmaster)

Nathan Stark - Glenelg / 180 / 71

Lemmingmaster will do a write up for us later.

Meat and potatoes styled player here, that with a little bulk on his light frame, I think could be a solid citizen. Not sure he is the most athletic player going around, he is certainly not the biggest player going around, but he will be found at the bottom of packs. The modern game is back to a game of contested style and I think Stark will excel that this style of game. He was listed at around 176cm for a while there, but having noticed that he is now 180cm, I have hope he may find a place on a list.

If you add some bulk onto his frame, then his game style will be even more damaging. Has a very solid handball, makes good decisions in traffic. Has the ability to draw a free kick as his head is always over the ball. His kicking is not a strong point, does not seem to have penetration, but I think he has enough tools to make it on a list.

Maybe Stark can be a poor mans Viney.

Pick 97 Sydney - Lachlan Hunter.

Lachie had a good national carnival with VM. Classy inside mid, neat left foot. Like most leftys he seems to have so much time to do what he wishes with the footy. Normally something happens when Lachie get his hands on the footy. A mid that can kick goals should not last this long in the draft proper. I do expect the bulldogs to nominate him as a father son even though they have an abundance of inside mids. Too good not to be on a list, so if he is available the Swans would be happy to take him!

Some nice picks in those last three rounds.

Pleased to see Oliver Johnson and Mason Middleton being selected. As for the likes of Clay Cameron and Craig Moller, I avoided them in favour of other players - even though, they were technically available to be selected. Otherwise, I'd have been tempted by Cameron in the second round.

I'll do write ups on Tasman Fitzgerald, Cameron Wohling, William Falland and Dale Wallam later on.

# 72 North Melbourne (AS211)

Freddie Clutterbuck - East Perth / 182 / 80

I doubt anyone else will nab him.

Freddie was invited to train with Melbourne last year and fought it out with a few other hopefuls for a rookie spot with the Dee's, that might seem as a bit off a put off, he can't even get a rookie spot with the Dees. Now consider the fact that Freddie wasn't considered good enough to play league football for Easts in 2011.

This is a late bloomer with an unquestionable work ethic who just has a knack for finding the football and tank which puts him in the top tier.

Clutterbuck is uncannily similar to Barlow in his movements and natural ball winning ability with better footskills and freer lateral movement, think Barlow pre Palmer.

His hands in close are good, but no quite at Barlows level.

Clutterbuck is on an upward curve and has continued his rise pushing his average possession tally up to 25 a week for Easts.

Absolutely a plug in and play pick who needs one pre-season to get up to scratch.

A fairly honest pick this late in the draft.

nickname has to be cluster****!

#71 Fremantle - Tasman Fitzgerald (194cm, 88kg from Woodville West Torrens)

I promised to take some South Australian players that wouldn't be well known interstate, and Tasman is one of them. Last year, he spent much of his time playing school football and even this season he hasn't been a part of the SANFL U18 competition every week. And he wasn't part of the SANFL U18 Academy that was named at the start of this season either. But he did get picked in the SA squad for the U18 Championships. So it's fair to say, he was a bit of a surprise packet this year.

Considering the depth of tall forwards isn't great this year, in the later rounds you have to look at which players have certain attributes that you can work with. And Tasman definitely has the size to be a KPF, and he also has the mobility. For Woodville, he often plays up around the CHF mark and rotates through the ruck too. He is also a big strong mark, and can hit a pack hard. The only thing he needs to do is impact the scoreboard more consistently, but there is a lot to work with.

#89 Fremantle - Cameron Wohling (180cm, 73kg from Subiaco)

I would have liked to have seen more of Wohling, but I've liked what I have seen. He didn't play for WA in the Championships, despite being a part of the initial squad. But he has been in some good form back in the WAFL, and has recently moved up from Colts to Reserves for Subiaco.

Maybe the rookie draft will be more his range, but I think he'll be a solid pickup. Playing through the midfield or in the back half, he can win his own ball and tackle hard too. Also has a nice kick on him. Probably hasn't had a lot of real top line performances, but is just one of those players who always looks impressive even if the stats sheet doesn't stand out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would the Bulldogs and the Saints only have 4 picks, when Fremantle, Geelong, Collingwood, Adelaide and Sydney all have 7 picks? I would have thought the more successful teams would have the least picks!

Why would the Bulldogs and the Saints only have 4 picks, when Fremantle, Geelong, Collingwood, Adelaide and Sydney all have 7 picks? I would have thought the more successful teams would have the least picks!

ok - we have finished the 4th round. I will do two more rounds as have a lot of peoples picks left so lets just get them up. For those who havent given me a pick I will just hit pass.

There's your answer

Write ups for last 3 GWS selections;

Oliver Johnson - West Adelaide / 181 / 74 / Medium Mid or Defender

Still not 100% sure where he will end up but he shows enough attributes to suggest there is plenty to work with. Good contested ball winner who moves very well and reads the play in a way that suggests the games comes to him a little bit. Accumulates big possessions at times and executes them very efficiently. Still only light but is also a very handy player 1:1 and there were some times during champs that his strength and contested work surprised me. I think he will ultimately settle as a defender who can maybe push up to the wing. Has a little bit of the Rob Murphy's about him for me if you were looking for a comparison. He is one I think could go a bit higher than this come draft day.

Liam Byrne - Bendigo / 184 / 81 / Midfielder or Defender

Was thrilled to land him and was prepared to grab earlier but wanted to see where he would land as think am one of few that probably have him on my radar. Bit of a forgotten guy as he was injured earlier in the year and therefore suspect many haven't seen him. Got a lot of development left in him and given his recent surgery that will leave him out for the rest of the year he may not go this year in which case am pretty confident he would go back as a 19yo. But look I would punt on him now as in the games and vision I have seen he is a really smooth mover who seems to have time in his decision making and therefore tends to execute very efficiently. Can win his own ball and is equally adept at getting on the spread as he has really good pace as well so he ticks a lot of boxes IMO. Would probably start his career more as a HB type given he is still young to footy but he reads the play coming in so well and he has that 'time' I just think that better footballers have got.

Luke McDonald - Oakleigh / 187 / 77 / Utility

Maybe a bit naughty but assumed I was allowed to take as notwithstanding is 17 thought was ok as is a F.S selection eligible but if not let me know and will take another. I really like Luke and I think he ticks so many boxes its not funny. He is quick, has terrific endurance, can play a variety of positions on the ground, has even shown himself to be able to do the run with role and has a boot on him like a mule. I think the kid is a terrific talent have always thought North have a ripper here. I would certainly have him ahead of Hunter, Bourke and Stewart who are other F.S in the mix around that mark.

Maybe lets open it up to a few players who I thought were a bit unlucky so would be keen to see who others thought could have been in the mix;

Ryan Morrison - Dandy defender who I was keen to take

Michael McMahon - North Adel kid who shows a bit but hit with inj recently

Breadon McLean - NT boy who I think has some genuine talent

Zac Williams - Inside mid from NSW. Probably more rookie

Few state leaguers

Ben Ross - Werribee midfielder who has spent time at North and now has the body right. If he was on almost any AFL list this year his form would have warranted senior selection so be surprised if he doesn't go. I would have taken him if wasn't allowed McDonald.

Ben Duscher - Bendigo. What more does he have to do to get a chance I wonder.

Marlon Motlop - Form back in the WAFL has been outstanding.

Chris Schmidt

Sinclair & Tighe - COuple of big talls who can play that ruck fwd role and keep on developing I think could be around the mix late.

Couple of left fielders;

Alistair Gillispie - 22 yo tall for Claremont who has really come on this year and has massive scope. Can play a variety of spots and would leave in the VFL for a year or two but think you might have a player sooner than you think.

Nick Murphy - big surprise he missed last year and is currently playing in the EDFL and going well. This kid nearly was taken as a 17yo by GWS so am really hoping he gets a shot

If Luke McDonald was eligible I would have taken him much earlier than the 6th round! :p Rate him highly.

Considered Ben Duscher, but decided to go with the kids in the trial just to get some more names out there. Injury permitting, I'd expect he's one of the top of the list of mature agers to go this draft.

Was pretty disappointed with Braedon McLean's output at the champs after rating ihm highly last year - might leave him be to go around with the Thunder for a year or two and see how he develops. I thought about Egger though.

Pretty happy with my score for Melbourne, though of course I had a lot of very good picks to work with. Some real salt-of-the-earth footballers in Viney, Temay and Graham will set up the Dees in the middle of the ground, Grundy is a ten-year ruckman, outside polish with Macrae, forward X-factor with Coleman-Broom, and three flexible kpps of very different types in McBean, Critchley and White. Proper writeups for the later round guys coming later today hopefully...

#107 Fremantle - William Falland (187cm, 88kg from Central Districts)

Continuing on with my mission to select an SA kid that nobody would know, I landed on Will Falland. Not part of the SA squad for the Championships, he has instead been playing U18s for Central Districts over the past two seasons. He has hardly set the competition on fire over those two years, but he has hit a solid patch of good form over the last two months.

He is a big strong kid, has played a lot of his football across half back and behind the play. But recently has pushed up into the middle and into the front half too. I'd like to see him finish the season by playing right in the centre square at the bounces, and really pushing forward to get on the scoreboard more often. He has a nice size to him, and has decent skills. Just needs a good finish to the season.

#125 Fremantle - Dale Wallam (188cm, 73kg from Mullewa)

Last year, I was deciding on which one of Dale Wallam and Callum Papertalk I would draft and in the end I decided to go with Papertalk as Wallam had another year of eligiblity in the Colts. But it hasn't exactly worked out how I had planned, as Wallam has been playing for Mullewa in the GNFL instead. Which coincidentally is where you will find some of the most talented footballers in the country. But that's neither here nor there.

So I haven't actually seen Wallam play this year. And he only played 3 games in the Colts last year for East Fremantle too. But he is a very talented midfielder/forward, and was actually invited to the WA state screening last year on the back of just those three games - three games, which in only one did he reach double figure possessions. Just a lightly framed kid, he has a really good leap and silky foot skills. Would be a shame if another talented kid like him was lost.

Luke McDonald is a 1995 born and available next year. Unless we are including minidraft eligables I'm not really sure how he fits into this years group.

Heck of a talent though. He'd be a clear top 10, possible top 5 selection if in this years draft so there was a reason he wasn't selected early in this.

*Side note.
Wasn't expecting this draft to go 7 rounds when I submitted my selections for the later rounds. Good idea though to get more names out there and really impressed with a number of the later selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official 2012 BigFooty Phantom Draft - The Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back