2012 Membership Tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it a rest - the only reason your memberships don't drop is because they know they won't get another opportunity if they don't renew it. Your attendance numbers dropped away in 2010 so the same principle applies.

Really don't know why people just can't enjoy the fact that all clubs seem to be doing well in what are really tough times instead of the continual sniping.

Actaully champ it wasn't a snipe it was a fact. If you get 60000 members this year and win the flag expect to get more members in 2013 but drop off in 2013 you will be back to 50000 in 2014.

I wish it wasn't true but it is. Bandwagoners are great for the clubs as it brings in more money.

As an aside.

Reading through the funding and equalisation report, the AFLs membership estimates are that by 2016, there will be 1 million members (from 650,000 in 2011).

That's 50% growth, or to put it another way, if your clubs membership isn't growing by 10% each year, you're falling behind.

As an aside.

Reading through the funding and equalisation report, the AFLs membership estimates are that by 2016, there will be 1 million members (from 650,000 in 2011).

That's 50% growth, or to put it another way, if your clubs membership isn't growing by 10% each year, you're falling behind.

I'd like to know the inflation adjusted average price of a paid for membership across the league comparing now to ten years ago.

Yes the headline increase is huge but I suspect average price per membership is much lower what will all the 3 game 5 game, tassie, pet and corporate etc stunts.

You'll find that if we winnow out the "fillers" and include only 11 game or 17 game fully paid up non Corporate memberships the growth is much much lower. Kennett started the ball rolling, Eddie, Benny etc saw the numbers that were possible and jumped on and now everyone is on. It's wallpaper.

I'd like to know the inflation adjusted average price of a paid for membership across the league comparing now to ten years ago.

Yes the headline increase is huge but I suspect average price per membership is much lower what will all the 3 game 5 game, tassie, pet and corporate etc stunts.

You'll find that if we winnow out the "fillers" and include only 11 game or 17 game fully paid up non Corporate memberships the growth is much much lower. Kennett started the ball rolling, Eddie, Benny etc saw the numbers that were possible and jumped on and now everyone is on. It's wallpaper.

I agree, and I think the stop on it will be when capacity limits starts to bite.

Collingwood already has more member than can fit into the MCG at one time (after taking out MCC/AFL members reserves). When members are getting turned away 'regularly', they'll either drop off or upgrade to reserved seats, putting a cap on members. I also suspect the clubs will eventually decide that 3/4/5 game memberships either aren't worth the effort or they get told which games they can get into.

I agree, and I think the stop on it will be when capacity limits starts to bite.

Collingwood already has more member than can fit into the MCG at one time (after taking out MCC/AFL members reserves). When members are getting turned away 'regularly', they'll either drop off or upgrade to reserved seats, putting a cap on members. I also suspect the clubs will eventually decide that 3/4/5 game memberships either aren't worth the effort or they get told which games they can get into.

Remember that a chunk of Collingwood's membership base (approx 8k from memory) are AFL members too, so would have access to the AFL reserve.

The bigger problem that the clubs need to address is that there is no resale system for reserved seats when a member cannot attend. This is almost unheard of in most professional sports where attendances are so high, and is the reason why a 'sold out' game might see attendance anywhere from 10-20% below the stadium's capacity.

Collingwood already has more member than can fit into the MCG at one time (after taking out MCC/AFL members reserves). When members are getting turned away 'regularly', they'll either drop off or upgrade to reserved seats, putting a cap on members.

You're right, but they're a long, long, long way from turning away members regularly. Collingwood couldn't even fill Etihad in their first game after a flag, let alone the MCG on a regular basis.

No more a joke than what it currently is.
I have no problems with clubs selling non match day forms of memberships as a revenue source and then flapping their figures around. At least sanity prevailed once the AFL audited the clubs and provided a more reasonable figure for each clubs membership base.

I must admit to not being entirely happy with the AFL counting 3 game memberships in a figure most people assume is a season ticket, but the way we're headed, goldfish may one day be counted the same as a $1,000 club member. That's the joke :eek:

This is unheard of in world sport and we can never compare our figures with say FC Barcelona's 90k season ticketed members and not be laughed at.

You're right, but they're a long, long, long way from turning away members regularly. Collingwood couldn't even fill Etihad in their first game after a flag, let alone the MCG on a regular basis.

Perhaps, but I wonder how many members would be excluded from an ANZAC day clash where Collingwood are the home team? (both Collingwood GA members and Essendon 'away' members, probably ~40-50k people would be trying to fit into ~20-30K seats)...While it's 1 game/year, it's not that big a deal, but the list of 'limited' games will soon grow, and that's when my prediction will start to take effect.

Just a note...Collingwood would, in some ways, be hoping for this to happen, because then they'll be able to charge a premium on reserved seats and make more $/member.

Perhaps, but I wonder how many members would be excluded from an ANZAC day clash where Collingwood are the home team? (both Collingwood GA members and Essendon 'away' members, probably ~40-50k people would be trying to fit into ~20-30K seats)...While it's 1 game/year, it's not that big a deal, but the list of 'limited' games will soon grow, and that's when my prediction will start to take effect.

Just ticket the whole stadium. Which I assume they already do for Anzac day.

But there's a huge difference between doing that for Anzac Day and doing it on a regular basis. Their return game against Essendon this year - a Collingwood home game - drew 73k. A great crowd, but miles away from being worried about members not being able to get in. Let alone the games against interstate opposition where anyone can walk up on the day and buy a ticket at the gate.

They'd need to sell 100k+ memberships to start being worried about capacity restrictions. And even then, they could probably start selling memberships that admit only to games against interstate opposition.

Yes. Basically if the growth is "cheapo" memberships continue then inevitably the cheap memberships will be funnelled to the less attractive games.

If you are a fan of a big club going well the games you turn up t are the Big 4/top 4 games. They will carry a premium.

Ur point being? if ur going to put up a post of a clubs conc membership costs, at least compare it with a few other clubs to gain some sort of comparison and discussion...I put 2 below and we know Richmonds conc 16 gamer is $160
ive started it off for u you can do the rest...

Collingwood's Conc is $155
Hawks Conc is $166 (19 games)

The Hawks Concession 19 Game for $166 is a bargain! Matches against Collingwood x2 MCG, Geelong x2 MCG, Carlton MCG Gold Coast GWS Brisbane Adelaide WC Melbourne Richmond and St kilda all at the MCG! For Hawks fans, get it now! :thumbsu:

On target to get 65,000 members in 2012. :D

The Hawks Concession 19 Game for $166 is a bargain! Matches against Collingwood x2 MCG, Geelong x2 MCG, Carlton MCG Gold Coast GWS Brisbane Adelaide WC Melbourne Richmond and St kilda all at the MCG! For Hawks fans, get it now! :thumbsu:

On target to get 65,000 members in 2012. :D

2 Months ago, when the fixture came out, Hawthorn fans were telling us how their Melbourne games have been gutted by the AFL as some kind of punishment for their Tassie games.

So, is it good or not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As of 2/1
Code:
Club                Members
Collingwood          49,334 
West Coast           41,066
Hawthorn             40,800
Essendon             30,000 
Richmond             25,010
Geelong              23,800
Melbourne            20,623
Carlton              20,565
Western Bulldogs     18,229
North Melbourne      16,517
Port Adelaide        15,217
St Kilda             14,390
Sydney               12,200
Brisbane             11,202
Gold Coast            8,138
GWS                   3,202
Adelaide                985*
Fremantle               N/A
*New Members

As of 2/1
Code:
*New Members

its alright you don't have to lie for freo, we know they have no member no need to save them blushes by putting n/a ;)

As of 2/1
Code:
*New Members

Poor effort by Carlton supporters so far. On 20 thousand members and they have one of the most supporters.

Poor effort by Carlton supporters so far. On 20 thousand members and they have one of the most supporters.

That was our figure from 21/12. Either we haven't updated or we have stopped processing over xmas. At one point we were processing nearly 1000 memberships per day.

We always start out behind most teams, but keep processing a lot longer than most.

Either we think our supporters are apathetic and may not sign up if our tally is high early or we just don't process them fast enough, I am not sure.

There is hardly enough information or knowledge about how we are conducting our memberships this year, in order to have a shot at the Carlton supporter base. We should be a lot better than we have been the last couple of years (50k should be a mimimum) but we do come home strong and our membership revenue is pretty good.

At the same time last year we had 18k members, so we are more than 2k ahead of this. February & March is when you will see significant growth in our membership numbers. Same story every year.

I don't know why people don't account for the fact that teams go about things differently. Carlton always seem to be slow with their processing (or at least it takes a while for the membership drive to ramp up) so it makes no sense to compare them directly with other teams. People should be coming like with like and when you do so they seem to be doing quite well (as you pointed out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back