VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefully Dunell can stay fit (not sure what's wrong with his knee), as he's got decent pace for 190cm, very good hands, and is normally a deadly kick (was off today which I assume is related to the niggle). I can see why we used our first pick on him - not sure why Essendon wouldn't have grabbed him.

Speaking of early picks, whilst Newnes is small he (like Ross) makes really good decisions. Doesn't seem to make many mistakes.

Hopefully Dunell can stay fit (not sure what's wrong with his knee), as he's got decent pace for 190cm, very good hands, and is normally a deadly kick (was off today which I assume is related to the niggle). I can see why we used our first pick on him - not sure why Essendon wouldn't have grabbed him.

Speaking of early picks, whilst Newnes is small he (like Ross) makes really good decisions. Doesn't seem to make many mistakes.

Yeah I noticed Newnes doing the right stuff plenty of times. I guess we won't see him in the Saints this year but if he can bulk up a bit he could be the goods.
I reckon in some other teams Ross would be playing right now. He has some stuff to work on, but you wouldn't need to be desperate to put him in the AFL.

Positions Vacant

2012 Match Day Staff – Ball Kids

2012 Match Day Staff – Ball Kids

Sandringham Football Club is seeking committed and reliable ball kids for match days in 2012.

This position will entail working at some Sandringham Club home matches during the 2012 season, including practice matches in the pre-season (March-September). Matches are played either Saturday or Sunday (generally Sunday) throughout the season and they would be required to work from 10.45am - 4:30pm (some times may vary).

This position would suit someone looking to gain experience working whilst also enjoying a day at the football. The positions are paid and would be on an as required basis.

Contact Lucas on 0431 146 979 or sandyfc@bigpond.net.au for further details.

2012 Match Day Staff – Statisticians

Sandringham Football Club is seeking 2 x Statisticians for the 2012 Season

This position will entail working at all Sandringham Club matches (home and away) during the 2012 season, including practice matches in the pre-season (March-September). Matches are played either Saturday or Sunday (generally Sunday) throughout the season and they would be required to work from 10.45am - 4:30pm (some times may vary).

Key Relationships:

- Football Manager & CEO

- Stats Team

- Coaching Staff

- Fitness & Medical Team

This position would suit someone looking to gain experience in the football industry. This person will have commitment and enthusiasm to be part of a hard-working support team in Season 2012. This role will provide great insight into the inner sanctum of a professional sporting club and provide great operational experience for someone looking to make their way in the AFL industry.

Contact Lucas on 0431 146 979 or sandyfc@bigpond.net.au for further details

2012 Match Day Staff – Runner

2012 Match Day Staff – Runner

Sandringham Football Club is seeking a committed and reliable Runner for our Development Squad in 2012.

This position will entail working at all Sandringham Football Club Development Squad (Previously Reserves) matches during the 2012 season, including practice matches in the pre-season (March-September). Matches are played either Saturday or Sunday (generally Sunday) throughout the season and you would be required to work from 10.45am - 1:30pm (some times may vary).

This position would suit someone looking to gain experience working whilst also enjoying a day at the football.

Contact Lucas on 0431 146 979 or sandyfc@bigpond.net.au for further details.

2012 Match Day & Training Staff - Sports Trainers

SFC is always seeking sports trainers for roles within the club. Experience is preferred (but not essential for the keen at heart). For expressions of interest or further enquires please email Club Physiotherapist:

Rob De Nardis - robert@sportsphysio.com.au

Not sure how they missed Milera's effort in the ruck to himself (which ended in a goal), but some decent highlights are on Saints TV - with Fraser Gehrig's (... ... ... I mean Wilkes' :p) 3 goals, a good grab and goal from Dunell and a couple each to Milera and Saad.

Watched the VFL. Thought Milera was good. Was more physical than I had previously seen. Didn't use it by foot as well as i would of liked. Ross didn't do a lot but looks a player. Dunell has talent and if he can put on some weight, at his height, he could be a handy AFL performer.
Curren can play but wish he was taller. At his height you have to be very good but haven't given up on him. Maybe he can find away.

Zeb's Match Report:

The Zebras started 2012 in style with a convincing win over Box Hill at home on Sunday, Sandringham lead from start to finish and showed plenty of signs that 2012 could be a good one with a 54 point margin that could have been bigger had they kicked straight.

Big name recruits Adam Cockie and Myke Cook starred on debut for the club, Cockie had 23 touches kicked 2 goals and laid an astonishing 10 tackles while Cook had 21 touches and 2 goals of his own.

Cockie and Cook were well supported by David Armitage who had 26 possessions.

Another debututant, Beau Wilkes kicked three goals and provided plenty up forward he provided a contest all day and could have finished with better figures had he kicked straight (he kicked 5 behinds) the performances of mature-age recruits Ahmed Saad and Terry Milera were also encouraging. Both Saad and Milera kicked two goals but it was their class and defensive pressure around the goals that stood out.

"They're exciting players aren't they?" Sandringham coach Simon McPhee said. "They give genuine speed, they can tackle and pressure and carry the ball. It's really exciting for St Kilda and Sandy to have those players playing for us."

Jackson Coleman was the Zebs 23rd player and manage to kick 3 majors, one special one in the last quarter on the run deep in the forward pocket. Coleman now has 5 goals in his 2 senior outings for the Zebras and certainly looks an exciting prospect for the future.

The Development Squad also had a win over the premiers of the last 3 years, managing to hold off a fast finishing Box Hill by a goal. Saint Daniel Markworth was impressive with 21 touches and 4 goals playing a mixture of forward and midfield roles, Captain of the day Keiffer Smith Cameron had 32 disposals while Bruno, Irving, Stapleton and Brown all had lots of the footy.

One other thing from the game. The commentators mentioned that in the last few years, Sandy had been identified with a dour, defensive game-plan, and that this instead was just so full of dash and flair and attack.

Now, we know that the alignment is really strong now, and that includes tactically. What we saw on Sunday is going to be how the Saints are expected to play, I would humbly suggest.

One other thing from the game. The commentators mentioned that in the last few years, Sandy had been identified with a dour, defensive game-plan, and that this instead was just so full of dash and flair and attack.

Now, we know that the alignment is really strong now, and that includes tactically. What we saw on Sunday is going to be how the Saints are expected to play, I would humbly suggest.

The trouble with the previous season was that the Saints players would turn up not even knowing what the game plan was supposed to be, so they'd chase the ball around and try to do.... stuff.

It was interesting on Sunday listening to Armo trying to explain to three or so of the other players how they should structure under some circumstances, but then I had to turn around to smack out my kids so I didn't get to hear all of it.

There are quite a few differences this year.

One of the more important ones is the rucks. Rhys and Archer weren't great in the role last year - Sikora and Shepheard have ensured we don't lose the hitouts to the opposition's advantage. Whilst Magner was a loss, having Cockie, Cook and Armitage in the middle is pretty formidable.

I guess you'd credit Watters with assisting to get Cockie over, although in the main it's darn good recruiting by the Zebs.

What I do notice though (like SS) is that guys on the bench talk to their teammates. They yell out for rotations. Didn't hear any of that last year.

There's also alot more talk on the ground - in part because they know each other's names! There was a little bit of Saints players passing to other Saints players last year, rather than the player in best position.

It also hasn't hurt that a number of the new players drafted by the Saints are mature age (Saad, Milera, Wilkes, Dunell, Shenton) rather than 18yo's getting belted or running around like chooks. Mind you, Ross and Newnes have been pretty solid (Mini too).

And they haven't even rolled out the big gun yet! No, not Marigliani ... ... ... Archer!!! :D

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/afl-clubs/stkilda/armitage-in-the-mix-for-round-one/

David Armitage impressed in the first VFL game of the season to put his name up for selection in the Saints’ season opener against Port Adelaide.

Armitage was clearly the Saints best midfielder for Sandringham, where he netted 26 disposals ahead of the next best Saint* Farren Ray, with 16 touches.

“He’s just a class player,” Saints development coach Simon McPhee said.

“There were a few guys out there playing for their spot. And I think today showed how they went about their business.”

Ahmed Saad and Terry Milera will be in the mix to make their senior debuts as early as this week also.

Both players kicked two goals and showed plenty of excitement in the Zebras win.

And mature age rookie Beau Wilkes also impressed with four goals.**

McPhee said he has had a lot to do with Wilkes from his time in Western Australia and believes the key forward deserves his second chance after being culled from West Coast’s list.

“He’s a super competitor and it’s just great for him to get some reward for effort,” McPhee said.

* not totally accurate
** does 3 goals 5 behinds count as 4 goals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to think/hope that when the Saints players are relegated to VFL, there is plenty of communication as to "why", both for self improvement and morale.
Neither Blake nor Armo looked like they wanted to be somewhere else.

I saw BJ and Kosi near the grandstand ( well not that grand really ) did anyone notice any other Saints? ( they werent particularly trying to look cool either Squizzy - well I hope they werent, I guess Kosi is old and married and BJ doesn't need to look cool ).

Haha I guess 3 g 5 p is a bit like when the shops sell something for $39.99 Might as well call it 4.

For those who are interested, Marigliani (one of the club's guns) is listed as 8-10 weeks away. A real shame for a guy who often kicks multiple goals.

EDIT: Dont worry found it

Injury Update

C. Sharp - Hamstring - Test
B. Allen - Hip Flexor -Test
B. Rist - Groin - 3 weeks
A. Fleming - Groin - 1-3 Weeks
R. Jetta -Ankle - 1-3 Weeks
M. Marigliani - Knee - 8-10 weeks

Match report on Saints site.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/131643/default.aspx

“Box Hill featured some senior Hawthorn players, and in general are a fast side which made it really competitive,” said Sandy’s Senior Coach, Simon McPhee.

“But with the likes of Terry Milera, Beau Wilkes, David Armitage, Jason Blake and Tom Simpkin in our side we dominated the scoreboard in every quarter,” he said.

Up-and-comers Jack Newnes and Seb Ross held their own in the midfield, with 18 and 12 possessions respectively.

McPhee said there’s still some things the side needs to work on, especially in defence.

“Box Hill scored at least half of their goals from turnovers or missed tackles. We supplied them with an opportunity they didn’t necessarily have to have,” he said.

“Our ball-use inside 50 I reckon can improve a fair bit, so we have a couple of things to work on.”

In the Development squad, Jordan Staley, Jay Lever and Jimmy Webster were among four Saints playing for the side.

Forward Daniel Markworth powered through the game, making 21 disposals and leading the way with four goals.

“They all played really well, but Markworth was certainly the stand-out,” said Simon McPhee.

“The main thing for both Scott (Watters) and I is; ‘what’s their attitude been like?’, and the attitude from everyone across the board has been first-class,” he concluded.

Okay, getting excited by the youngsters. Note that McPhee didn't say "with players like Ray, Polo..." The newbies are shining. The future is bright.

Seniors Squad
B: Curren Simpkin Shepheard
HB: Andreoli Dowler Ferguson
C: Newnes Cockie Winmar
HF: Ross Archer Shenton
F: Siposs Dunell Minchington
Foll: Sikora Cook Saad
Int: Hallahan, Irving, Michaliades, Markworth, Coleman*, Wilkes, Ray, Blake, Armitage, Cripps, Polo, Milera, Lourey

New: Markworth (Macedon/Calder Cannons)
Bold = St Kilda listed player

Development Squad
B: Shakallis Barnhoorn La Rocca
HB: Webster Meehan Crocker
C: S-Cameron Maley Soriano
HF: Mavrick Staley Stapleton
F: Brown Jones Lever
Foll: Beech Waller Bruno
Int: Maitland Plostins Stevens Lourey Sands Buckley McEvoy Markworth Archer Pridgeon Slade

Okay, getting excited by the youngsters. Note that McPhee didn't say "with players like Ray, Polo..." The newbies are shining. The future is bright.
+1.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

My man Crocker! What are you doing son?

Winmar and Andreoli didn't play last week, and their return have squeezed him out - along with the continued solid showing from Jack Newnes. The team looks strong with Archer and Siposs slotting into the forward line - Irving and Lourey both played reserves last week (but might get a chance if the Saints take the full squad over).

Crocker was a little better last week, and seemed to get more readily involved in stoppages. But it has been a slow start to the year overall, and he hasn't been applying much defensive pressure (to offset relatively low numbers). There's still time for a 20yo who can kick it 70m. Comes down to building strength, which will give him more confidence to attack the ball and stick the tackles (along with avoiding injury).

Irving and Lourey both played reserves last week

WTF ???

With all due respect to some of the St Kilda youngsters, but are they really at a stage where they should be preferred over two of Sandy's strongest and best ? Not sure if that is the kind of co-operation Sandy had in mind (even if the result last week was impressive)...

Seniors Squad
B: Curren Simpkin Shepheard
HB: Andreoli Dowler Ferguson
C: Newnes Cockie Winmar
HF: Ross Archer Shenton
F: Siposs Dunell Minchington
Foll: Sikora Cook Saad
Int: Hallahan, Irving, Michaliades, Markworth, Coleman*, Wilkes, Ray, Blake, Armitage, Cripps, Polo, Milera, Lourey

New: Markworth (Macedon/Calder Cannons)
Bold = St Kilda listed player

Wicked deadly forward line I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back