VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Ledger & Sam Dunell pre-recorded an interviewed on Radio Carrum (Community Internet Radio Station) last Thursday. The full interview will be played on Radio Carrum's 'Footy Frenzy' show next Tuesday, 26 June at 1.45pm. Radio Carrum is streaming @ www.radiocarrum.org

It's televised today yeah? Might get the folks to record it for me!
Yep, on ABC now.

Pretty uninspiring first quarter to put it nicely, no team can get any sort of run and carry going. The narrow ground and the wind aren't helping that situation.

argh....

feel for farren. played his heart out all day. deserves a gig next week after how he played today. unlucky it came to a shot after the siren.

thought quite a few of the boys played well. wilkes and farren standouts and should be recalled next week for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the look of Ferguson and Lever, just need a bit more muscle

Also really liked Daniel Markworth, good shape, speed and kick also need a few more pre seasons

Hey guys, sorry to intrude. Cracking game today, Casey were lucky to get away with it in the end. Wilkes had a great game, best on ground in my books, would be amazed if he wasn't in your starting 18 next week.

Sandy 10.17.77
Casey 11.15.81

Goals:Wilkes 4 Shenton 2 Cockie Polo Ledger Markworth
Best: Peake Cockie Markworth Curren Marigliani Ferguson

Farren Ray had 32 touches for Sandy. Cockie had 27 and Peake 24. Marigliani 22 disposals

Thoughts from #VFL today. Beau Wilkes best on ground. 3 or 4 snags & took clean marks which impressive considering conditions #GoZebs

Was surprised with Farren Ray's possession count. Seemed to float in & out of game. Didn't seem to do anything that stood out. #GoZebs

#VFL Think it was @tcurren43 best game this year. Has clean hands around pack & has great defensive game but makes opposition hurt other way. Destroyed Tom Couch from Scorps.

#VFL Myke Cook, Adam Cockie & Marcus Marigliani are very handy players. All really stood up when game was on line.

#VFL Was probably one Sam Crockers better games, but still wasn't overly exciting. Tom Ledger had stinker. Seb Ross was OK #GoZebs

#VFL Beau Dowler is very underrated. Has Been solid as Rock down back this year for Zebs.

Cam Shenton really needs to learnt to convert all those easy misses. Does nice things but really lets himself down.

2012 Peter Jackson VFL
Sandringham 2.6 5.8 7.12 10.17 (77)
Casey Scorpions 1.4 6.10 9.11 11.15 (81)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Wilkes 4 Shenton2 Cockie Polo Ledger Markworth
Casey Scorpions: Petterd 2 Gysberts 2 Martin 2 McGough Williams Bennell Smith Couch

BEST:
Sandringham: Peake Cockie Markworth Curren Marigliani Ferguson
asey Scorpions: Panozza Gysberts Strauss Martin Plummer Smith

2012 AFL Vic Development League
Sandringham 1.3 4.5 5.6 9.7 (61)
Casey Scorpions 2.2 3.4 7.5 13.7 (85)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Lourey 2 Fallon 2 Sands Brown Stevens Staley Rist
Casey Scorpions: Salton 3 Fitzpatrick 2 Lindsay 2 Hill 2 McInnes Galvin Chin Lawrence

BEST:
Sandringham: Meehan Sands Widdowson Stevens Plostins
Casey Scorpions: Pollard Salton Gent Patti McInnes Weekes

Farren Ray had 32 touches for Sandy. Cockie had 27 and Peake 24. Marigliani 22 disposals

Thoughts from #VFL today. Beau Wilkes best on ground. 3 or 4 snags & took clean marks which impressive considering conditions #GoZebs

Was surprised with Farren Ray's possession count. Seemed to float in & out of game. Didn't seem to do anything that stood out. #GoZebs

#VFL Think it was @tcurren43 best game this year. Has clean hands around pack & has great defensive game but makes opposition hurt other way. Destroyed Tom Couch from Scorps.

#VFL Myke Cook, Adam Cockie & Marcus Marigliani are very handy players. All really stood up when game was on line.

#VFL Was probably one Sam Crockers better games, but still wasn't overly exciting. Tom Ledger had stinker. Seb Ross was OK #GoZebs

#VFL Beau Dowler is very underrated. Has Been solid as Rock down back this year for Zebs.

Cam Shenton really needs to learnt to convert all those easy misses. Does nice things but really lets himself down.

Only just catching up on the match now.

ABC had Peake with 18p (and 4 of them were kick-ins to himself). Didn't like his game at all with kicking errors evident along with getting beaten in 1-1's.

Ray with 26. Thought he was pretty good, although almost every shot he has on goal these days misses to the right.

Ledger with 18. He had good patches, but I expected him to play better in those conditions.

Shenton 11 with 5 marks and 2.3. Whilst better than usual, he doesn't look like he'll be an AFL player.

Wilkes 10 marks in difficult conditions and 4.2. The best players has to be a misprint.

Disappointed with Dunell's game (even though his workrate was good). Doesn't seem to like those conditions (affects his pace - doesn't seem to look as mobile as he usually does).

If they aren't going to play Archer at FB, I'll concede he's cooked.

Speaking of FB, Dowler was pretty average for mine (in kicking the ball and 1-1's).

Good to see Markworth improve (even if he didn't have a massive impact).

Thought Ferguson was very good.

Disappointed to see Shepheard go off injured as he'd done 3-4 excellent things early in the game. Resulted in Archer going into the ruck to support Sikora (I thought Coleman should have done the ruckwork). Shepp eventually came back on and looked nothing like it - didn't appear to be able to lift his arm due to the shoulder injury.

Sikora competed hard, but just keeps giving away frees. At least 5 today. Got pushed around by Melbourne's beanpole a bit too often.

They interviewed Couch after the game. He might have kicked the winner, but had 6 possessions as a midfielder! Well done to Curren.

Stats were from club so assume they are correct, have to wait til Wed/Thurs to find out who was right!

As you know definantly get different view of game watching on TV to being at game. Ray might got lot touches in close on opposite side of ground hence me not seeing them.

Dowler worked hard all day and helped out double teaming etc. had couple bad moments but all players do.

Dunell I thought worked hard all day. Was in play alot but just didn't get given the ball. I do like his new role though.

Also I got there early and had look at Staley (only Saint playin in Dev) and thought he was quite impressive. Has nice leap on him and reckon he could be worth persisting with next year.

Peake was good, I'd have him in my best.

Archer pulled up sore in first qtr and got strapping on his thigh. Seemed to hinder him for res of game but as I've said before I can't see him being on our list past this year.

Are we getting to the point where Wilkes' omission from the seniors is getting a little loopy?:confused:

should get a game v North, they're worse at defending tall forwards than we are

Watched the game on the box, able to rewind constantly with the IQ, to see who exactly did what and so on.

Very impressed with pretty much everything Markworth did, including his attack on the ball, or whoever had the ball (for Casey). Also did a lot of terrific 1%ers, like smothers, knock on's, tackles and so on and made good use of the ball when he had it. Got a lot of wraps from those commentating on the game, like David Rhys Jones, etc, who noticed those things as well. Got the ball anywhere from the forward 50 to half back. Pity he's so bloody thin, though. I mean, he is like a bag of bones and might make Matty Lappin look physically solid! Otherwise, a very exciting prospect, as he looks to be courageous, smart, persistent, skillful and reportedly has extreme excelleration off the mark.

Also really liking the development of Jacko Ferguson. Did some really good things, with the best being a triple effort, where he first got the ball in the back 50 and kicked it to Wilkes on the wing, who got it on the bounce, to find that Fergo had bolted forward and in a flash was on our half forward line, thanks to his great running. Wilkes kicked it to him and Fergo gathered a difficult ball and gave off a handball and then kept pressing forward and received it back again (this time inside our forward 50) and did a good centreing pass, which unfortunately bounced over its target.

Actually, just as good as that was a mark by Jackson, running with the flight of the ball, into someone coming the other way, that reminded me of the numerous times Goose MaGuire did that for us, back in the mid 2000's. Also quite happy with his kicking, as it was generally perfectly acceptable. His short passes were accurate and when he gave it a hoof they usually went long and straight and spun well. Really happy with his approach and effort, too.

He has also bulked up well since the last time I saw him (last year, from memory). Back then I thought he was simply too thin to be considered for senior AFL footy, but now I would have no problems with him lining up for us (as far as his body shape goes). He is now a tall, solid enough unit, that is very quick and athletic for someone of his size and shape. He is listed at 194cm, but so is Sam Gilbert and they stood next to each other in the team photo this year and Jacko looks to be at least an inch taller than Gilbo (unless he was standing on his tippy toes, or Gilbo wasn't wearing shoes, or something strange and unlikely like that!).

The other thing I noticed today is that Fergo has a very short neck and doesn't seem to have a very big head (relative to his body shape and size), so most of his his height comes from his long body, which is what you want (as having a long neck, or big head, or big hair, doesn't really help you in marking contests, but having a long body and long arms, which Ferguson has, does). So he could be as much as 195/196cm as he is, but could be the equivalent height (as far as his reach goes), as someone who is closer to 200cm (who has a longer neck and/or bigger head than Fergo). I could definitely see him being our best option on someone like Buddy Franklin in 2-3 years time, as he is tall enough and wouldn't be much slower, if at all.

Really hope he continues to develop at FB and CHB, as he has the ideal sort of build for the role and would give us great run and drive from there, a bit like a Stephen O'Rielly did so well for Freo, or Johnno Hay did for Hawthorn. He really is quick and likes to run and carry the ball out of defence. We might not need to go hunting someone else for FB after all!

Jay Lever also lined up in a key post down back and did a couple of nice things, including an intercept mark at full extension above his head. Like Markworth, though, he is another bag of bones and is straight up and down, with very thin arms and legs. Being 200cm and very mobile and quick means he could still be successful down back though, like Dustin Fletcher has been for Essendon, even though he is also very thin.

Shenton was pretty good, especially early and kept getting the ball up forward.

Crocker came into it a fair bit late and did a couple of booming kicks, including one over the top to Wilkes, who marked about 15m out. His kicking is a major weapon. Looked taller than I remember him being and wasn't as thin as I was expecting, from what I've heard of him in recent times (even though I've seen him before).

Wilkes was terrific in the air, especially considering he was double teamed at times. Took a couple of genuine pack marks and also a hanger, where he just jumped cold onto someone's back (without using his hands to get the ride), just like the one he took in the minute before he was subbed off in our game against Melbourne, earlier in the season (if he wasn't subbed off that day our season (and his) could be looking very different right now, as I firmly believe he's good enough to be playing AFL footy).

Don't think Curren got as much of it as he reportedly has in recent weeks, but they said he kept Couch down to 6 possies, so that was a great effort. I also like the way Curren is able to get himself out of traffic with his blind turns and evasiveness. He just seems to know which way to turn, even when there is very little room. Like Markworth and Lever though, there isn't much of him and I'm not sure how he'd go against the bigger and stronger bodies in close at AFL level.

Ledger did what Ledger does (burrows in and gets the ball and kicks it long off both feet) and kicked a nice snap goal in the last, but didn't get a heap of it, or use it overly effectively by foot, even though he can kick it very well (and long) off both feet.

Peake got a lot of it early and kept on doing this and that throughout the game but didn't use it overly well by foot.

Ray was good and got a lot of it.

First time I've seen Dunell for a full game and while he didn't get much of it, I was impressed with his speed (he is genuinely quick for someone of his height- in the team photo he is next to Wilkes and looks to be taller than him, so I'd say either Wiles isn't 194cm, or Dunell is pretty tall. I think it's the former). Also saw an example of his "elite" kicking on one occasion today. Very nice. :thumbsu: Like Markworth and Lever, especially, though, he is another who is very thin and light.

Archer didn't do much and I just don't see him playing for St Kilda long term and never have, really. Will be perfectly happy to be proven wrong on that one, but doubt I will. Reckon he'll do well at VFL level, but expect he would struggle at senior AFL level.

For them I was most impressed with Stefan Martin, who I read about before the first draft he was nominated in and was hoping at the time we would draft him, but from memory he wasn't picked up by anyone that year. We could certainly have done with him in recent weeks. Not sure why he's playing at VFL level, as he looked to be a class above them today and has apparently played some very good footy for Melbourne in the past couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back