VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For them I was most impressed with Stefan Martin, who I read about before the first draft he was nominated in and was hoping at the time we would draft him, but from memory he wasn't picked up by anyone that year. We could certainly have done with him in recent weeks. Not sure why he's playing at VFL level, as he looked to be a class above them today and has apparently played some very good footy for Melbourne in the past couple of years.
aussierulesrules, Today at 2:37 AM Report

Stefan Martin was recruited from Sandringham!

tom curren grabbed his groin just before couch kicked that winning goal for casey, was wondering if tom went off, as he killed couch up to that point, hope he is ok as he is definitly up to being listed next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...over-sandringham/story-e6frf9jf-1226406486933

MELBOURNE rookie Tom Couch was the hero of Casey Scorpions' dramatic four-point win over Sandringham at the Trevor Barker Oval yesterday.
Couch kicked a 50m goal from a free in the final 30 seconds to put his side in front.
On the rebound after the centre bounce, Sandringham midfielder Farren Ray, one of the best on the ground, had the chance to be his side's match-winner, but he scored only a point from a set shot about 40m out as the final siren sounded.
Casey's win makes it equal premiership favourite with Port Melbourne.
Couch, 24, son of Geelong champion Paul Couch, kicked the winning goal with a sixth touch.
"I needed to do something, we want to make it to the top four," he said. "When Ray had the shot I was hoping he would miss."
Casey's best included Stefan Martin, who put his hand up for Melbourne consideration with 22 possessions, five marks and 2.2 after recovering from a quad injury.
Another was Jordan Gysberts, back from a broken jaw, who had 19 disposals and two goals.
St Kilda forward Beau Wilkes took 10 contested marks, had 14 disposals and booted 4.2, Adam Cockie had 27 touches, Ray 26 touches through the midfield while Tom Ledger and Brett Peake each had 18.

Seems all the stats are out of whack. I think VFL TV have their own stats guys. Will have to wait til later in week to get official one...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/loc...as-in-nail-biter/story-fn53khop-1226406623143

Melbourne rookie Couch has been a prolific possession winner for Casey this year, but Zebra Tom Curren tailed him like a private detective and he managed only 14 possessions.
Ray had 32 disposals. But, kicking to the social club end into a slight breeze and with a heavy ball, he couldn't clinch it for the Zebras.

Marcus Marigliani (22 possessions) made a sparkling return for Sandy, providing strength and direction in defence.
It was like he'd never been out with a knee injury.
Cockie had 27 touches and laid seven tackles, one of which threatened to put Scorpion Josh Tynan on to Beach Rd.
Zebras coach Simon McPhee cut a disappointed figure after the match as he sat in the grandstand running an eye over the stats.
"You can't blame it on any one action," he said, referring to Ray's miss.
"The second quarter was where we lost the game, just with our poor ball use. Turnovers in bad areas cost us goals. Overall we were a bit unpredictable to each other. When we simplified the game and used our structures I thought we were pretty good."

Dunell I thought worked hard all day. Was in play alot but just didn't get given the ball. I do like his new role though.

Also I got there early and had look at Staley (only Saint playin in Dev) and thought he was quite impressive. Has nice leap on him and reckon he could be worth persisting with next year.

It is nice to have a guy (like Dunell) who is a weapon rather than a liability off half back.

It would be disappointing if the rookie list was cut back, as one year was never going to be enough for a player like Staley. He and Lever seem to have the frame and mobility to make decent players down the track.

It is nice to have a guy (like Dunell) who is a weapon rather than a liability off half back.

It would be disappointing if the rookie list was cut back, as one year was never going to be enough for a player like Staley. He and Lever seem to have the frame and mobility to make decent players down the track.

Actually forgot to say i really liked the move of Lever down back when Shepheard went down. Seemed to hold his own in most contests.

Actually forgot to say i really liked the move of Lever down back when Shepheard went down. Seemed to hold his own in most contests.

I had trouble watching the game due to family members repeatedly asking what the hell I was watching, and suggesting I do something more useful.
I was surprised at how good Lever looked at ground level.
Sikora won plenty of praise from the commentators, though I thought he faded a bit in the end.
I guess someone would track me down and shoot me if I went to a pre-match discussion thread and suggested giving Wilkes a shot and rest Kosi a bit longer.

His agility (combined with height) was one of the reasons he was drafted - although I don't remember anyone having him in their draft lists.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/big-jay-levers-his-way-back/story-e6frf9jf-1226202952558

The Geelong Falcons big man started the TAC Cup season sensationally, firming as an early draft pick.

Former coach Aaron Greaves "He was the Falcons' best player with the ball in his hands. He makes fantastic decisions and has amazing agility for someone that size. He played key forward, key back, and played some of his best footy on the wing."

But, while many players put their stamp on things at the national championships, enhancing their draft stocks, Lever, 18, admitted he went backwards there, making him a wildcard.

Lever was thrust into the ruck at the carnival and, struggling with his light frame, his confidence sank.

His preferred position is centre half-back, where his silky skills can help cut open an opposition.

He said he loved "being able to beat my opponent in the air or on the ground and then work the ball out, hitting up players coming out of the forward line or the midfield".

I'd like to see how he goes against stronger opponents (don't think he had Stefan Martin for any of the game on the weekend), but he played better than a couple of weeks ago in the VFL reserves (when he hardly got near it all day).

Hopefully has a big pre-season and puts some bulk on around the shoulders.

do you reckon beau wilkes will get a recall to the afl side this week? i would love to see him kicking 4 goal a week for st kilda in the afl. that would be a site

^*Wilkes has had a few games where he's kicked 4 or 5 in the VFL but Kosi continues to play over him because of his ability to ruck. Maybe once Stanley comes back we'll see him come in but even then I doubt it, he might just have to bide his time or wait for an injury which is unfortunate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^*Wilkes has had a few games where he's kicked 4 or 5 in the VFL but Kosi continues to play over him because of his ability to ruck. Maybe once Stanley comes back we'll see him come in but even then I doubt it, he might just have to bide his time or wait for an injury which is unfortunate.
is there a dislike button? hehehehe lol

attachment.php

Round 14 Sandringham vs Port Melbourne
Saturday June 30th at Port Melbourne

Dev Squad: 10am
Seniors: 1.10pm

Admission Prices:

Concession $5
Adults $10
Casey Members $5

This weeks game is being broadcast LIVE on ABC TV from 1pm.
Last time they met - Round 17, 2011 @ Port Melbourne
Port Melbourne 5.5 7.6 9.10 13.16 (94)
Sandringham 1.1 4.4 8.8 10.10 (70)

Zebras History V Port Melbourne
Played: 153
Won: 52
Lost: 101
Draw: 0

This week draws close of Zebras few weeks 'from hell'. The Zebs have dropped to 5th on ladder after losses to fellow top 4 sides Werribee and Casey and now have to face up to the all conquering Port Melbourne who sit atop of the ladder.

Zebras have injury concern to Hamish Shepheard who left field early with shoulder injury but reappeared after half time, even though couldnt really lift shoulder above his head.

St Kilda's injury list is likely to only have Warrick Andreoli on its injury list this week, with Rhys Stanley, Daniel Minchington and Jack Newnes all looking likely to return from injury. Stanley is unknown if he walks straight back into Saints side or plays at Zebs. The healthy list will benefit Sandringham with host players available. Jimmy Webster will also be available after serving 1 week suspension. Jamie Cripps & Tom Simpkin who were both rested from VFL last week with Saints bye also available for either side.

Marcus Marigliani made a successful return to seniors last week, collecting 22 disposals and 6 tackles. He will only get better as he gets more matches under his belt.

I had trouble watching the game due to family members repeatedly asking what the hell I was watching, and suggesting I do something more useful.
Sikora won plenty of praise from the commentators, though I thought he faded a bit in the end.
I guess someone would track me down and shoot me if I went to a pre-match discussion thread and suggested giving Wilkes a shot and rest Kosi a bit longer.

When STANLEY is back to assist with the rucking I think they have to have a decent look at WILKES in lieu of Kosi. I think WILKES needs to become a bit stronger in the upper body, but his agility and pressure acts must put him in front of Kosi surely. If tackling and pressure acts are keeping other players in the team eg Jones then surely Kosi should be moved on to improve his.

When STANLEY is back to assist with the rucking I think they have to have a decent look at WILKES in lieu of Kosi. I think WILKES needs to become a bit stronger in the upper body, but his agility and pressure acts must put him in front of Kosi surely. If tackling and pressure acts are keeping other players in the team eg Jones then surely Kosi should be moved on to improve his.

i agree. atleast worth a try out and see how it works.

when stanley pushes into the ruck. siposs can take the 3rd tall option.

Great insight into Saints players on Saints website :eek:o_O

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/139617/default.aspx

SAINTS.COM.AU spoke exclusively to Saints Development Coach and Sandringham Senior Coach Simon McPhee to find out how the Saints boys are travelling at the halfway mark of the VFL season.
Whilst recent draft picks Ahmed Saad, Terry Milera and Jack Newnes have managed to make their debut on the big stage, we asked McPhee to give us a brief rundown of some of the further talent on hand at the Linen House Centre.
Jay Lever (198cm, 83kg)
“The last two games in the seniors Jay has played he has been really competitive and held his own down back. He is developing well.”
Seb Ross (187cm, 83kg)
“Seb has played midfield for us all year. He’s been pretty good. He’s just continually working on some aspects of his game but he’s played some pretty solid footy.”
Daniel Markworth (191cm, 78kg)
“Dan Markworth has been continually improving. He’s starting to really impact games of footy and is getting more consistent.”
Jackson Ferguson (194cm, 85kg)
“Fergo has been really competitive for us this year. He’s been rebounding well and he’s worked really hard all year.”
Sam Dunell (190cm, 81kg)
“Dunell has been really good for us. He’s played forward, back and middle and is a real leader amongst the younger guys.”
Tom Curren (178cm, 76kg)
“Tom has been playing some great footy for us as a small forward through the middle and has been really consistent for us this year.”
Tom Ledger (178cm, 70kg)
“He is consistently finding the footy at VFL level. He has to just keep working hard and wait for his opportunity.”

Great insight into Saints players on Saints website :eek:o_O
Did he mention others AT?

It's quite clear that the 7 on this list are favored to continue next season ahead of:
Crocker
Andreoli
Winmar
Webster
Shenton etc

We've done alright considering we've only had:

2011 - Earliest Pick 25 - for Ross
2010 - Earliest Pick 24 - for Cripps
2009 - Earliest Pick 32 - for Winmar (excluding Pick 16 which we won't mention)

It's quite clear that the 7 on this list are favored to continue next season ahead of:
Crocker
Andreoli
Winmar
Webster
Shenton etc

Yes, the silence about those players was deafening. Most of those are going (along with Archer, who also didn't get a mention) at years' end, unless they are contracted like Winmar, in which case they'll probably be relegated to the rookie list and bide their time.

Crocker
Andreoli
Winmar
Webster
Shenton etc

Webster been injured for most of year and was only just drafted so cant see us delisting him (also contracted for 1 more year)

They were only ones they touched on, disappointing as Andreoli has been great this year before injury.

Webster been injured for most of year and was only just drafted so cant see us delisting him (also contracted for 1 more year)

They were only ones they touched on, disappointing as Andreoli has been great this year before injury.

i think they will throw one more year at andreoli on the rookie list.

crocker is gone IMO. he will have to have an amazing 2nd half of the year in the vfl, to save his career.

winmar safe, but will have to produce something next year to save his career.

webster safe. long term prospect.

shenton i am very unsure on. havent seen him play in the vfl. he played nab cup right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back