VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Valenti didnt crack shits and whack Tommy behind play like that sook Couch!

Although he did give away a couple of free kicks (wouldn't surprise if they were his first for the year given he's normally an umpire's pet who can throw himself forward from a breath of wind on his back). Showed that Curren had got under his skin for sure (but in the CJ mould of sheer workrate rather than blocking and holding).

Sounds like curren could be a bit like
Andrew Carrazzo. Am i right by this??

Seems similar to Ledger for mine. 178cm, nippy in a lateral sense, kick OK both sides, fairly strong for their age, and always willing to put their head over the ball. Curren is quicker and has quite a good leap, and has surprised with his adaptability to another role. Ledger is a natural ballwinner though (seems to come more easily to him).

I'm watching the VFL replay of Sandy vs Port and Beau Dowler is killing it at FB/CHB. If we really want a big body on the cheap we could do worse than look in our own backyard.

I'm watching the VFL replay of Sandy vs Port and Beau Dowler is killing it at FB/CHB. If we really want a big body on the cheap we could do worse than look in our own backyard.

Not for mine. Reads the ball very well which serves him nicely in the VFL - but he's fairly slow, doesn't have any overhead presence (tends to try and mark on the chest), gets bodied out more than someone of his size should, and does the occasional ridiculous thing which concedes an easy goal. But his size and experience has been invaluable for the Zebs, and the lesser skills of some players ensure that he is able to pick the ball off fairly easily through superior judgement.

Not for mine. Reads the ball very well which serves him nicely in the VFL - but he's fairly slow, doesn't have any overhead presence (tends to try and mark on the chest), gets bodied out more than someone of his size should, and does the occasional ridiculous thing which concedes an easy goal. But his size and experience has been invaluable for the Zebs, and the lesser skills of some players ensure that he is able to pick the ball off fairly easily through superior judgement.

By all accounts the Hawks gave him a pretty good try before they let him go.

Sam Dunell 24 disposals, 1 goal, 9 marks & 2 tackles.

Tom Curren 19 disposals, 1 goal, 2 marks, 4 tackles

Seb Ross 25 disposals, 6 mks& 4 tackles.

Tom Ledger 20 disposals, 3 mks & 1 tackle.

Jamie Cripps 14 disposals, 1 goal, 4 mks, 5 tackles

Farren Ray 28 disposals 2 goals, 9 marks & 5 tackles.

Brett Peake 21 disposals, 9 mks & 2 tackles.

Nicolas Winmar 8 disposals, 3 mks, 3 tackles

Had look at Ledgers stats and on weekend he had 11 kicks, 9 of which were ineffective. So i looked back over season and found by foot he is just going abover 50%

KICKS: 141

Effective: 74
Ineffective: 67

HANDBALLS: 79

Effective: 60
Ineffective: 19

Yep. I've heard Valenti barely racked up half a dozen possessions, so that's a second pasting in a row by Curren to his opponent. Great to have a tagger with a decent offensive side to his game.

Would be happy to see both Ray and Curren (who is playing extremely well as both a tagger and a pure midfielder in the VFL, and deserves his chance) come in to take Watson/Stanton.

Unlike Jones, both Ray and Curren will hurt Essendon going the other way.

Unfortunately I can’t see Dempster playing on-ball; rather he’ll have to play on a tall (which Essendon have a plethora of), and hope Fisher/Gwilt/Macca/whoever is free comes in as the third man up in any marking contests.

This is also shaping up to be a huge match for Macca. Played a pretty decent match last week, and like what he did pretty successfully in 2011, started pulling in big pack marks in defence. I feel he’ll have to spend a good majority of his time floating across the D50, spoiling and creating contests against Essendon’s tall forwards…

Sam Dunell 24 disposals, 1 goal, 9 marks & 2 tackles.

Tom Curren 19 disposals, 1 goal, 2 marks, 4 tackles

Seb Ross 25 disposals, 6 mks& 4 tackles.

Tom Ledger 20 disposals, 3 mks & 1 tackle.

Jamie Cripps 14 disposals, 1 goal, 4 mks, 5 tackles

Farren Ray 28 disposals 2 goals, 9 marks & 5 tackles.

Brett Peake 21 disposals, 9 mks & 2 tackles.

Nicolas Winmar 8 disposals, 3 mks, 3 tackles

MORE STATS

Jackson Ferguson 19 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles

Dean Polo 14 disposals, 2 goals, 3 marks, 3 tackles

Darren Minchington 11 disposals, 2 goals, 2 tackles

Daniel Markworth 13 disposals, 1 goal, 3 marks, 2 tackles

Cameron Shenton 7 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles

Daniel Archer 7 disposals, 1 goal, 4 tackles, 15 hitouts

Tom Simpkin 14 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles

ZEBRAS

Adam Cockie 12 disposals, 2 marks, 9 tackles

Myke Cook 26 disposals, 1 goal, 4 marks, 1 tackle

Beau Dowler 24 disposals, 11 marks, 2 tackles

Sam Maley 10 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles

Having watched the game again, but only focussed on 5 players:

Ledger - 20 possessions (8-6-6-0 in each quarter)

Cripps - 13 (2-2-4-5) although there was another one which deflected onto the back of his leg if that counts!

Curren - 19 (3-2-10-4)

Dunell - 20 (8-4-5-3)

Winmar - 12 (2-4-4-2)

I would say that Cripps was alot more active in tackling than I thought, and would certainly have had more than 5.

Winmar was excellent in the defensive stuff too, but butchered the ball more than I thought (missed 2 shots on goal, one out on the full, and kicked in to Port - although Peake did a few of these).

Dowler was better than I remembered - took some good marks (not just uncontested ones). Didn't make any errors that I could see.

Think Ferguson will be elevated if we elevate two rookies? Really wanna see how he goes in the red white and black

Ferguson is mainly a flanker type (like Gilbo), so I don't see him being elevated yet. Progressing well, and is still young. Curren and Dunell are the two obvious ones in terms of here and now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ferg is listed as 194cms and 84kgs. He will be 20 come round 1 next year. Compared to some other KPD's at who are about the same age and getting games -

Daniel Talia - 195cms, 95kgs. 21 years od at Rnd 1 2013.
Matthew Watson - 195cms, 99kgs. 20 yo.
Jake Carlilse - 199cms, 92kgs. 21 yo.
Tom Lynch - 199cms, 91kgs. 20yo.
Jack Hombsch - 194cms, 87kgs. 20yo.
Tom McDonald - 194cms, 88kgs. 20 yo.

As mentioned, Ferg will have to bulk up abit if he is going to play at CHB on a week to week basis.

Ferg is listed as 194cms and 84kgs. He will be 20 come round 1 next year. Compared to some other KPD's at who are about the same age and getting games -

Daniel Talia - 195cms, 95kgs. 21 years od at Rnd 1 2013.
Matthew Watson - 195cms, 99kgs. 20 yo.
Jake Carlilse - 199cms, 92kgs. 21 yo.
Tom Lynch - 199cms, 91kgs. 20yo.
Jack Hombsch - 194cms, 87kgs. 20yo.
Tom McDonald - 194cms, 88kgs. 20 yo.

As mentioned, Ferg will have to bulk up abit if he is going to play at CHB on a week to week basis.

Coming off a NSW sholarship though, he could be behind as far as developing his footy as well.
Having said that, if the Saints make the simple change of Simpkin for Blake, he's surely the next cab off the rank, should something happen to Simpkin, Fisher, Gilbert or Gwilt, and maybe even Raph.

Question: Do they need to elevate him before they name him Emergency or can it be done more or less on the spot?
I'm thinking that with Blake out for a while they might need to do this.

I thought he was more of a CHB type?

Dowler, Shepheard and Simpkin all played the key defensive roles last week. Ferguson normally plays the flanker role, and played on the small forward a number of times. He played on Haretuku as a bit of a test, and that didn't end well.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/140473/default.aspx

Although the loss was disappointing, several Saints players stood out and played some exceptional football.

Tom Curren was again one of the best on ground after keeping two-time Liston Trophy winner Shane Valenti to fewer than ten disposals for the entire game, while accumulating 19 touches of his own, and adding a goal.

"Tom was really great on the weekend. He did a great job on Valenti," Coach Simon McPhee said post game.

Sam Dunell played more across the half forward line and he looks to have found his spot there. He finished with 20 disposals, 9 marks and one goal.

"Sam's doing really well lately. He looked very comfortable and at ease on Saturday."

Seb Ross played one of his best games of the year, finishing with 24 disposals. He has gained more consistency and is using the ball more efficiently.

"Seb definitely stepped it up on the weekend and did a great job."

Although the loss was disappointing, several Saints players stood out and played some exceptional football.

Tom Curren was again one of the best on ground...

Sam Dunell ... "Sam's doing really well lately..."

Seb Ross played one of his best games of the year...

So it looks like 2 of our rookies and another first year have managed to get themselves noticed by the coach in a big way. Surely, now that the objectives for this year have shifted, it's time to put Blake on the LTI, upgrade both of them, and bring all three into seniors team, at least for 3-5 games.

So it looks like 2 of our rookies and another first year have managed to get themselves noticed by the coach in a big way. Surely, now that the objectives for this year have shifted, it's time to put Blake on the LTI, upgrade both of them, and bring all three into seniors team, at least for 3-5 games.

It will be interesting to see how Watters elects to reward good VFL performances. I hope they hold Seb back for the same reasons Ledge isn't in the team (more one-paced players in addition to Armo, Lenny and Monty won't help our team). Dunell should have already been in (in front of Milera given his drop in form). Jones should play in front of Curren, but he would surely get elevated at the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see how Watters elects to reward good VFL performances. I hope they hold Seb back for the same reasons Ledge isn't in the team (more one-paced players in addition to Armo, Lenny and Monty won't help our team). Dunell should have already been in (in front of Milera given his drop in form). Jones should play in front of Curren, but he would surely get elevated at the end of the year.

how long is jones contract?

Is this definitely the reason why Ledge isn't getting a game? Others seems to be saying it's due to his body?

Either way would we be likely to see Ross play on the flanks in his first few games, even seasons? As we saw with Jack and Armo (hopefully not for 4-5 years though....). Much of a goal kicker? Think Curren gets on the scoreboard a little more from what I've seen and read on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back