VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...-ballarat-in-vfl/story-e6frf9jo-1226315893254

VFL sleeping giant Sandringham yesterday slayed another high-profile competitor in pursuit of its first flag since 2006.

The Zebras trounced North Ballarat by 48 points at Eureka Stadium in a match dominated by St Kilda's rookie-listed players.

Raw forward Sam Dunnell booted five goals from 16 possessions and midfielder Tom Curren picked up 31 disposals.

Former Adelaide recruit Myke Cook (22 possessions) and former West Coast player Adam Cockie (25) chimed in with strong clearance work.

Zebras coach Simon McPhee was pleased the club broke its Ballarat hoodoo. "We asked the entire playing group at training the other night who had won at Ballarat, and no one put their hand up."

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/l...sters-napping-in-vfl/2507802.aspx?storypage=0

(Nth Ballarat coach) FitzGerald was also pleased with an improved free kick count, with the Roosters up 25 for to 18 against.

The Zebras were far more efficient inside-50, particularly in marking, and ventured into the forward-50 58 times compared with the Roosters’ 47.

Former North Ballarat Rebel Sebastian Ross, drafted to St Kilda last year, was consistently dangerous through the Zebras’ midfield, chalking up 24 disposals.

A goal to St Kilda rookie Sam Dunnell – his fifth – after the siren, starting from near the Roosters’ bench sealed the match and broke what otherwise would have been an evenly scored quarter.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...-ballarat-in-vfl/story-e6frf9jo-1226315893254

VFL sleeping giant Sandringham yesterday slayed another high-profile competitor in pursuit of its first flag since 2006.

The Zebras trounced North Ballarat by 48 points at Eureka Stadium in a match dominated by St Kilda's rookie-listed players.

Raw forward Sam Dunnell booted five goals from 16 possessions and midfielder Tom Curren picked up 31 disposals.

Former Adelaide recruit Myke Cook (22 possessions) and former West Coast player Adam Cockie (25) chimed in with strong clearance work.

Zebras coach Simon McPhee was pleased the club broke its Ballarat hoodoo. "We asked the entire playing group at training the other night who had won at Ballarat, and no one put their hand up."

Dunnel really looked a likely sort to me last week. We have Milera and Siposs, but Dennel seems a bit more of a solid type ( A Hamill :) ).

I guess Curren was always considered to be a good U18 footballer but the question was whether he was good enough for AFL. What are your thoughts on him Squizzy? It is possible that these sorts of players who dont stand out at draft age can end up pretty good ( ie Mitchell ).

I'm coming over to Melbourne, originally to see the Saints vs Suns game... starting to seriously consider going to the Sandy vs Coburg game instead.

Seriously.

Dunnel really looked a likely sort to me last week. We have Milera and Siposs, but Dennel seems a bit more of a solid type ( A Hamill :) ).

I guess Curren was always considered to be a good U18 footballer but the question was whether he was good enough for AFL. What are your thoughts on him Squizzy? It is possible that these sorts of players who dont stand out at draft age can end up pretty good ( ie Mitchell ).

Do I praise you for getting Siposs right or get stuck in for two different spelings of Dunell? :D

I like Dunell (sticky fingers, lovely kick) and, whilst he's skinny, he's mature age and doesn't seem to get pushed around.

A forward line of Stanley, Milera, Dunell and Siposs certainly appears to have some tricks!

Curren's ability to add size during pre-season was remarkable. 31 possessions is a step up (although he did play a really good game a couple of weeks ago). Showing signs of improvement. Little things like slipping tackles (like Harvs used to do and Dal does) is something he can hopefully learn - in using his increasing strength - to develop further and start putting pressure on the St Kilda squad.

Question re our rookies: Can any be elevated due to St Kilda having minimum senior listed players or can they only be elevated if there's a LTI to a senior player?

Do I praise you for getting Siposs right or get stuck in for two different spelings of Dunell? :D

I like Dunell (sticky fingers, lovely kick) and, whilst he's skinny, he's mature age and doesn't seem to get pushed around.

A forward line of Stanley, Milera, Dunell and Siposs certainly appears to have some tricks!

Curren's ability to add size during pre-season was remarkable. 31 possessions is a step up (although he did play a really good game a couple of weeks ago). Showing signs of improvement. Little things like slipping tackles (like Harvs used to do and Dal does) is something he can hopefully learn - in using his increasing strength - to develop further and start putting pressure on the St Kilda squad.

Get stuck into me over Dunell if you say it often enough something might sink in :D at least I've never ever put an S on the end of Steven.

Not sure we can, based on this.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=129788

The Demons can also name a ‘nominated rookie’ for 2012, since Brad Green is the club’s only veteran listed player.

As Melbourne doesn’t have a second veteran, a nominated rookie brings the number of senior players to 40, plus six rookies, for a total of 46 listed players.

General manager of list management, Tim Harrington, highlighted the reason why clubs were able to utilise the nominated rookie rule, when they don’t have a full list of 40 players (38 primary and two outside veterans).

“[It’s for] clubs who don’t have players or enough players who qualify to be a veteran. By utilising the rookie rule, we don’t get disadvantaged in terms of the number of players who are eligible for senior selection in any particular year,” he said.

“On top of that, we’ve got Max Gawn out all season. So we’ve got the opportunity to elevate a separate rookie to the primary list, given that Max is on the long-term injury list."

“The nominated rookie gets classified on the Tuesday before round one of the AFL season."

Harrington said that all clubs will be able to nominate a ‘mid-season nominated rookie’ for the third successive year.

Midfielder Tom Curren also delivered the goods with 31 disposals clearing through his path.
“Tom Curren probably had his best game for a while,” said the 2011 WAFL Premiership winning coach, Simon McPhee.
“Sam Dunell, Jackson Ferguson and Daniel Archer all played really well. It was good to see them get some footy.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/132051/default.aspx

Come the end of the year the club will either need to elevate or release Curren, Archer and Ferg. I wouldn't want to release any of them the way we're going.

Purely from list management I can't see them elevating Dunell since there will already be plenty of hard decisions to make, and Milera and Siposs are ahead of him in the pecking order. FFS two years ago we couldn't find a medium forward to save our lives and we couldn't fit Steven and Armitage into the Saints side.

I am JUST starting to have a little sneaking suspicion that Riewoldt will get an "honorable injury" some time mid year, and miss all but the last week. He'll "recover" for that final week, and be given a swan-song game. Then retire.

The great man is a shadow of his former self - still has it tactically in his head, but the knees are shot. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak. He's a 10 year CHF, and has gone the way of Carey and many before him. No shame in that. He's given us all a lot of years. But he'll not be there next year.

And I think Archer knows it.

I am JUST starting to have a little sneaking suspicion that Riewoldt will get an "honorable injury" some time mid year, and miss all but the last week. He'll "recover" for that final week, and be given a swan-song game. Then retire.

The great man is a shadow of his former self - still has it tactically in his head, but the knees are shot. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak. He's a 10 year CHF, and has gone the way of Carey and many before him. No shame in that. He's given us all a lot of years. But he'll not be there next year.

Roo's contract expires at the end of NEXT year. Why would he give up 1 mill and retire early?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think that will happen. (hope not anyway)
The delivery to roo was atrocious most of the time.
Balls dropping short or going over his head. I thought he competed really well with limited opertunities

Riewoldt probably isn't earning his paycheck, but is still performing - albeit not at the level we've come to expect.

It's a bit sad that opponents can punch him in the head and get away with it, but I guess that's what the other big names have to deal with too.

He is pretty much shot below his knees these days, and gets up sore from marking contests alot.

But he still gives us plenty and I'm not complaining about 16 possessions (10 contested), 6 inside 50s, 2 goals and 2 goal assists.

Riewoldt probably isn't earning his paycheck, but is still performing - albeit not at the level we've come to expect.

It's a bit sad that opponents can punch him in the head and get away with it, but I guess that's what the other big names have to deal with too.

He is pretty much shot below his knees these days, and gets up sore from marking contests alot.

But he still gives us plenty and I'm not complaining about 16 possessions (10 contested), 6 inside 50s, 2 goals and 2 goal assists.

Roo was ok and his stats back it up however you have to remember how much play goes through him. Too often he was beaten one on one. Still gotta give him a pass mark though, five marks and two goals is serviceable.

Question re our rookies: Can any be elevated due to St Kilda having minimum senior listed players or can they only be elevated if there's a LTI to a senior player?

Just confirmation on that point.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-to-make-changes/story-fnca0u4y-1226316878874

Scans (on Siposs) yesterday cleared him of anything more than jarring and St Kilda's head of football, Chris Pelchen, said if he wasn't available this weekend he would be the next.

Pelchen ... indicated ... (he) might need to impress in the VFL before earning a promotion.

Ledger and Ross are both mid-fielders and Ross, especially, was recruited in last year's draft with a reputation as a hard-nosed type who wins his own ball.

A young player the club is keen to examine at the highest level but is unable to at present for the lack of a vacancy on the senior list, rookie Sam Dunell, kicked five goals.

Dunell, the 22 year-old son of 1984 Essendon premiership player Frank Dunell, has kicked eight goals* for Sandringham in the first two weeks of the VFL season.

He cannot be promoted to the Saints senior list unless a spot is vacated by a player temporarily removed because of a long-term injury.

* he kicked 2 last week, so The Oz might need to use a calculator to add things like 5 and 2. Mind you, both his missed shots last week were gettable (could easily have kicked all 4 with his ability)

Just confirmation on that point.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-to-make-changes/story-fnca0u4y-1226316878874

Scans (on Siposs) yesterday cleared him of anything more than jarring and St Kilda's head of football, Chris Pelchen, said if he wasn't available this weekend he would be the next.

Pelchen ... indicated ... (he) might need to impress in the VFL before earning a promotion.

Ledger and Ross are both mid-fielders and Ross, especially, was recruited in last year's draft with a reputation as a hard-nosed type who wins his own ball.

A young player the club is keen to examine at the highest level but is unable to at present for the lack of a vacancy on the senior list, rookie Sam Dunell, kicked five goals.

Dunell, the 22 year-old son of 1984 Essendon premiership player Frank Dunell, has kicked eight goals* for Sandringham in the first two weeks of the VFL season.

He cannot be promoted to the Saints senior list unless a spot is vacated by a player temporarily removed because of a long-term injury.

* he kicked 2 last week, so The Oz might need to use a calculator to add things like 5 and 2. Mind you, both his missed shots last week were gettable (could easily have kicked all 4 with his ability)

Cant we find some dodgy doctor to declare that Raph has" chronic hamstringitis", a condition where a hamstring tears two weeks after the previous one repaired itself , and put him on the LTI list?

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/latest-afl-news/vfl-wrap-get-on-the-sandy-bandwagon/

Sam Dunell kicked five goals. McPhee is a massive fan.

“He’s going well. He’s got a good story really hasn’t he? He’s a mature age rookie and that sort of stuff but he continually works hard on areas that he needs to work on. It’s good to see him do well,” he said.

“He’s got a bit of work to do but he’s going really well.”

Son of Frank a former Bomber. He's been performing consistently well for Old Melburnians for quite awhile. Hope he gets his chance at senior footy sooner rather than later.

Seniors Squad
In: Soriano, Lourey, Wilkes, Crocker, Peake, Ray, Ledger, Bruno, Armitage
Out: Markworth

B: Shepheard Dowler Hallahan
HB: Ross Ferguson Andreoli
C: Minchington Cook Cockie
HF: Saad Siposs Archer
F: Shenton Dunell Lourey
FOLL: Sikora Curren Peake
INT: Ray Wilkes Simpkin
Ledger Newnes Winmar
Armitage Crocker Soriano* Michaliades Coleman Irving
Bruno

New: Anthony Soriano (Oakleigh Chargers)
Bold = St Kilda listed player
* Denotes 23rd player

Development Squad
B: Shakallis Barnhoorn Allen
HB: Webster Meehan La Rocca
C: Stapleton Maley S-Cameron
HF: Mavric Staley Michaliades
F: Brown Coleman Widdowson
FOLL: Beech Waller Sands
INT: Plostins Jones Bruno Stevens Pridgeon
Irving Iliov Buckley Crocker

Status