2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 19333
View attachment 19334View attachment 19336

These 3 shots are from the members or broadcast wing of Skoda which a few people have said was quite full. Not even 20% full, rest of the ground 10%.
They are fudging the figures at Skoda like they are at Metricon.

Yes, the royal agricultural society of NSW is releasing fraudulent attendance figures....:rolleyes:

Here's a photo I took at the ground, clearly showing the presence of human beings.

dXt12sU.jpg

Now admittedly these could be mannequins dressed up in footy fan gear, or an elaborate series of holograms. I guess it all depends on just how deep this RAS NSW conspiracy goes.....

I've been to a couple.

- 71K v St.Kilda at Waverley in 1998
- 76K v Melbourne in the final round, same year

Both games in one of only 2 seasons in which Richmond have performed reasonably well since the overall surge in attendance began in the mid '90s. As always comment on Richmond attendances is really meaningless if not put against the backdrop of the club's really remarkable run on poor form. No club has spent less time in the top 8 since the mid '90s.

Well done Wookie, appreciate the hard work :thumbsu:.

A competitive Melbourne and GWS would have bought another 10/15 or so fans through the gate between them at least.

No disrespect to Melbourne and GWS, but as it stands both the WCE and Freo had byes on the weekend, fans are fans, but neutrals have little to no interest.

What will be interesting from my POV is what sort of average crowd the GC Suns will draw at home over the next couple of years.

I've been to a couple.

- 71K v St.Kilda at Waverley in 1998
- 76K v Melbourne in the final round, same year

That was probably the singular round all the planets aligned and we had massive crowds across the majority of fixtures

North Melbourne V W Bulldogs - 68,050 (1st v 2nd)
Essendon V Geelong - 61,089 (Essendon had to win to guarantee a finals position)
Hawthorn V Fremantle - 39,735 (Jason Dunstall's farewell game)
Brisbane Lions V St Kilda - 14,993 (St Kilda had to win to make the top 4)
West Coast V Adelaide - 37,388
Melbourne V Richmond - 76,387 (Melbourne were playing for top 4, Richmond for the finals)
Sydney V Collingwood - 35,814 (Sydney had to win to make the top 4)
Port Adelaide V Carlton - 34,518

Who'da thunk the AFL could smash an attendance record with Collingwood and Carlton playing interstate?

Somewhat surprisingly, Richmond V Melbourne has a proven track record as a high drawing fixture in recent seasons (in 2006 and again in 2011 Richmond V Melbourne drew 60,000 plus)

That was probably the singular round all the planets aligned and we had massive crowds across the majority of fixtures

Essendon V Geelong - 61,089 (Essendon had to win to guarantee a finals position)
Melbourne V Richmond - 76,387 (Melbourne were playing for top 4, Richmond for the finals)

Who'da thunk the AFL could smash an attendance record with Collingwood and Carlton playing interstate?

Somewhat surprisingly, Richmond V Melbourne has a proven track record as a high drawing fixture in recent seasons (in 2006 and again in 2011 Richmond V Melbourne drew 60,000 plus)

North V Dogs 68K....its like a parallel universe, a myth from the past. I rattle on and on about the impact of ladder position on turnout but I have to say I have never seen better evidence for the proposition than that.

Agree with everything you wrote. Just to add a bit more context. Of the seven NRL games played so far this round, three had crowds of less than 10k, six had crowds of less than 12k. That includes 11,344 to a Bulldogs home game at ANZ stadium and 7,125 to see the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval. The combined total for the seven games comes to 77,815, less than the AFL got to one game in its heartland last night. There are heartlands, and there are heartlands.

exactly, we as footys fans need to appreciate the culture/people/unsporting I guess area it is.

Just look at the last round of rugby - 7 games had less than 12K fans.

7!

The GWS are at least 2 years away from being able to analyse crowds and growth - fact of the matter is they simply are not competitive.

If a local rugby or soccer team was in the same boat on field, their crowds would be worse. They arent far in front whilst competitive or is WSW's case minor premiers in their honeymoon season!

Here's what 7k people looks like apparently.
22f8628ec45011e2829822000a9f1487_7.jpg

Back to LU with you.

There is a lot of anger being directed at GWS, even a multi sports (debateable) site like the Roar usually sees GWS threads being locked down with haters foaming at the mouth ..... literally !! :D

Anything Sheedy says usually has them scraping their knuckles across the keyboard, with incoherent ramblings. :)

GC Suns escaped all this hate, but the pro soccer and RL media up in Sydney continually try to undermine the Gianst at every turn, although going by their results, the Giants are an easy target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly Tigers have never had more than 70K v anyone besides Blues/Bombers/Pies. Must be all about translational rivalry for them.

Wouldn't hurt to do some research first...

1998 - Round 11, Mon 8 June Rich V St.Kilda Waverley Park 71,488
1998 - Round 22, Sun 30 Aug Rich V Melbourne MCG 76,387

I really wish we would stop playing home games in Canberra, it does alienate potential fans

The point being made wasnt about all planets being aligned as u so adequately put it and then highlighting god knows why not one crowd over 70K ohh except for Richmond with a reason why it reached such heights, WH made a reference that Richmond hadnt had an attendance over 70K against non top 4 and that was hosed down pretty quickly and u come back with a negative pointing to irrelevant attendances for other teams, gee should we take away all the hawks reasons for posting excellent attendances against pies and cats mostly due to form & ladder position...

The point being made wasnt about all planets being aligned as u so adequately put it and then highlighting god knows why not one crowd over 70K ohh except for Richmond with a reason why it reached such heights, WH made a reference that Richmond hadnt had an attendance over 70K against non top 4 and that was hosed down pretty quickly and u come back with a negative pointing to irrelevant attendances for other teams, gee should we take away all the hawks reasons for posting excellent attendances against pies and cats mostly due to form & ladder position...

My post wasn't negative in the slightest. In fact if anything it was complementary to the Tigers drawing power (they've drawn some impressive numbers against the Demons for example)

I really wish we would stop playing home games in Canberra, it does alienate potential fans

Not gonna happen. IIRC GWS and the AFL signed a deal with the ACT govt for GWS to play matches there for the next 10 years (from 2012). Besides, Canberra shows the Giants good support imo. They have over 3k members there.

These 3 shots are from the members or broadcast wing of Skoda which a few people have said was quite full. Not even 20% full, rest of the ground 10%.
They are fudging the figures at Skoda like they are at Metricon.

Well I hope you understand that I was basing my view off that third picture, which is the one I remember seeing and thinking that it actually looked fairly full on that part of the ground.
Having seen those pictures I'll retract my earlier 2/3's statement, but to say it's less than 20% full is an exaggeration. 30-40% going off those pictures
If that half of the ground has 15,000 seats and and the other half 10,000:
35% of 15,000 = 5,250
10% of 10,000 = 1,000
Total = 6,250

Anyway it's a pointless argument. If they're 'fudging' numbers than it's not by much. Didn't someone earlier mention that the AFL isn't responsible for announcing the crowd number?

I meant 80k crowds by any teams outside a combination of the big 4.

But just from memory a Collingwood Melbourne game in the 1950's, a Queens Birthday public holiday drew some enormous crowd ( and no, i wasn't there or alive at the time ) :) 80k +

Not really relevant to today though.

That would have been 1958 Melb v Collingwood 99,346

Well I hope you understand that I was basing my view off that third picture, which is the one I remember seeing and thinking that it actually looked fairly full on that part of the ground.
Having seen those pictures I'll retract my earlier 2/3's statement, but to say it's less than 20% full is an exaggeration. 30-40% going off those pictures
If that half of the ground has 15,000 seats and and the other half 10,000:
35% of 15,000 = 5,250
10% of 10,000 = 1,000
Total = 6,250

Anyway it's a pointless argument. If they're 'fudging' numbers than it's not by much. Didn't someone earlier mention that the AFL isn't responsible for announcing the crowd number?

It is a pointless argument, and for EX at Metricon you can seat 1,000 people behind glass in corporate boxes, lounges etc, i understand that Skoda is sort of the same.

People lining up for beer, food, kids out the back, toilets etc.

And biggest of all, what point does the RAS have in lying, but you can be sure that the next home game of GWS will have the same people saying the same things about their crowds.

There is a lot of anger being directed at GWS, even a multi sports (debateable) site like the Roar usually sees GWS threads being locked down with haters foaming at the mouth ..... literally !! :D

Anything Sheedy says usually has them scraping their knuckles across the keyboard, with incoherent ramblings. :)

GC Suns escaped all this hate, but the pro soccer and RL media up in Sydney continually try to undermine the Gianst at every turn, although going by their results, the Giants are an easy target.

It's hard for soccer fans to have a go at the Suns, given the embarassment that GCU was throughout their 3 year history - even with the GCU being very successful in its first two seasons (played off for the grand final both times).

At the end of this season, the Suns would have effectively outlived GCU without even raising a sweat.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back