2013 DRAFT discussion thread: Rookie Draft complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly do they think is dicey about the Tyson trade. I know 'stevo' though for an investment so high to have a slight hammy strain was a huge blow but didn't the Hun mention they think know we need young quality mids.

Surely Tyson is the one that makes or breaks the Tyson trade? If he plays to potential we'll have traded pick 2 for an elite midfielder as well as having upgraded pick 20 to pick 9 and pick 70 something to 53. If Tyson and Freeman both turn out to be guns, then we'll have done extremely well, but I wouldn't say the success-failure balance hinges on who we pick with 9. It's about how Tyson goes.

What exactly do they think is dicey about the Tyson trade. I know 'stevo' though for an investment so high to have a slight hammy strain was a huge blow but didn't the Hun mention they think know we need young quality mids.
yeah its weird, pick 2 would have to be better than pick 9 and tyson, gws took the risk

I think it's lose lose with the media. Keep pick 2 and the media speculate that Melbourne couldn't land a big fish, nobody wants to come to Melbourne, than the Another top pick for Melbourne fc will Melbourne blow it again. The flip side is despite Melbourne landing Tyson it's dicey, he's injury prone, giving up a potential brownlow Winner. It's all if it's and buts were candy and nuts. I think I will stick with Roos, 'we think a quality player will be available at pick 9. I say we have had enough go's at high picks let's see what happens.

IMO, we were so bereft of midfielders of high quality that pick 9 and Tyson are more important than one player at pick 2.

Plus, with Vince and Cross the importance of Tyson and #9 to shine from day one isn't as heavy as what others had in the past... e.g. 2010 with Scummy, Trenners and Gys; and then last year with Viney and Toumpas.

Surely Tyson is the one that makes or breaks the Tyson trade? If he plays to potential we'll have traded pick 2 for an elite midfielder as well as having upgraded pick 20 to pick 9 and pick 70 something to 53. If Tyson and Freeman both turn out to be guns, then we'll have done extremely well, but I wouldn't say the success-failure balance hinges on who we pick with 9. It's about how Tyson goes.

It's the way the journos have been looking at it.

We got Tyson for:

A) pick #2 (and 20 > 9, 70 > 53)
or
B) pick #70 (and 2 > 9, 20 > 53)

Massive win for us to get him for pick #70. I don't know why more people haven't pointed that out. It's a no brainer.

Either way, we shouldn't jump the gun on the Tyson trade. I remember everyone gloating about trading McLean and getting Gysberts. Down the track, that's turned out to be a bust.

In theory, the trade made perfect sense because the midfielders expected to go early (Kelly and Aish) aren't the types that address our immediate need, plus hopefully we'll get 2 quality mids for the price of 1.

Either way, we shouldn't jump the gun on the Tyson trade. I remember everyone gloating about trading McLean and getting Gysberts. Down the track, that's turned out to be a bust.

Yeah. As with most trades we'll only really know if it was a win or a bust in a couple of years time. I think we did the right thing though.

I'm sure the media will be ready and waiting to point it out to us if it ends up being a bust.

Purely hyperthetical cause I don't think it will occur, but if Garlett and Zak Jones were available at pick 40, who would you take? The enigmatic talent who could boom or bust or the solid definite 150 game player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purely hyperthetical cause I don't think it will occur, but if Garlett and Zak Jones were available at pick 40, who would you take? The enigmatic talent who could boom or bust or the solid definite 150 game player?

Zak Jones in a heartbeat. I think we might have even committed ourselves to him at our second pick if he's still available, and going back on promises like that ain't on. Garlett might still be around at 53. Plus Jones seems harder than nails, whereas Garlett is a bit of a toss.

For anyone curious, here's his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/daylekevin.garlett?fref=ts

If he turns out to be a gun and Vince flops it's going to hurt haha.

If he turns out to be a gun and Vince flops it's going to hurt haha.

Even if Vince doesn't flop, I'd have preferred we took Jones at #23. Vince will be around for 3 or 4 years and may play 80 odd games for us. We'll win nothing while he's here and we may look back and say he was a serviceable player who did a job. By then, Zac could be about to hit his straps and become a quality player for whoever drafts him with another 6 or 8 odd years of football ahead of him.

The more Jonesesesesesesessesseessese we have running around for us, the better. Slide you muthafarka, slide.

Even if Vince doesn't flop, I'd have preferred we took Jones at #23. Vince will be around for 3 or 4 years and may play 80 odd games for us. We'll win nothing while he's here and we may look back and say he was a serviceable player who did a job. By then, Zac could be about to hit his straps and become a quality player for whoever drafts him with another 6 or 8 odd years of football ahead of him.

The more Jonesesesesesesessesseessese we have running around for us, the better. Slide you muthafarka, slide.

Emotionally I feel the same as you do, but when thinking about it rationally it's still a 'could be'. In Vince we get a player who's had experience as one of the elite midfielders in the competition and someone who's experienced success at the top too. I think that's more important to us right now than it was to draft Jones, no matter how good the latter turns out to be. Those 4 years from Vince will hopefully be a serious factor in righting the culture at the Dees, so that the players we do draft are able to reach their potential. Otherwise, we could draft all the Zak Joneses in the world but they wouldn't amount to anything for us in the way of success.

But I'll still have my fingers crossed that he does slide. If not maybe we can just take him in the PSD in two years ;)

Emotionally I feel the same as you do, but when thinking about it rationally it's still a 'could be'. In Vince we get a player who's had experience as one of the elite midfielders in the competition and someone who's experienced success at the top too. I think that's more important to us right now than it was to draft Jones, no matter how good the latter turns out to be. Those 4 years from Vince will hopefully be a serious factor in righting the culture at the Dees, so that the players we do draft are able to reach their potential. Otherwise, we could draft all the Zak Joneses in the world but they wouldn't amount to anything for us in the way of success.

Bernie Vince has had one quality season and been decent but not spectacular since. He's better than what we've got, but it's quite a stretch to call him elite. He wouldn't have been punted out of Adelaide if he was.

Bernie Vince has had one quality season and been decent but not spectacular since. He's better than what we've got, but it's quite a stretch to call him elite. He wouldn't have been punted out of Adelaide if he was.

No doubt he's not 'elite', hence I said he's had experience 'being elite' and indeed being around star players in a quality environment, which I still think is important in setting standards and knowing what is required for success.

I'm happy for Zak to come to the club, but the fact that he's Nathan's Brother means Jack Schidt to me.
Haven't heard of anyone from the draft named Jack Schidt? Do you think he'll be available with pick 40?

Zak Jones will be a Melbourne player. Emotional ties are stronger than any amount of money a club may be willing to pay him after his mandatory rookie years at some heartless club other than Melbourne who will certainly not be an enviroment he will want to be at compared to the sort of team that will be around once we hit full stride. I agree with you in that he will not slide so patience is the key here and Roos knows what he is doing unlike the muppets that have attempted to coach our potential over the last four and a bit years.

Zak Jones will be a Melbourne player. Emotional ties are stronger than any amount of money a club may be willing to pay him after his mandatory rookie years at some heartless club other than Melbourne who will certainly not be an enviroment he will want to be at compared to the sort of team that will be around once we hit full stride. I agree with you in that he will not slide so patience is the key here and Roos knows what he is doing unlike the muppets that have attempted to coach our potential over the last four and a bit years.

Yeah, same as Dylan Grimes...

No doubt he's not 'elite', hence I said he's had experience 'being elite' and indeed being around star players in a quality environment, which I still think is important in setting standards and knowing what is required for success.

Fair enough mate, I must have misread the earlier post.

I'm just a bit over hearing how some new signing is going to help us change the culture, will bring this, that and the other to the table in terms of leadership, professionalism, baking and homemaking etc. Rodan, Pedersen, Byrnes, Dawes all got a rap for that last year, and it's probably been bandied about for every recruit over the age of 22 for the last 15 years. Nothing seems to change, unless you count our steady, inevitable decline to shitness. If we do improve remarkably this year, there'll be a fair bit of chin stroking over how much of it is attributabal to Roos and how much to portion for B Vince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back