2013 Draft - Risers, Sliders, Shocks, Locks, Who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats not a guarantee, Menzel and Grundy were invited last year also.

Ahh right I see. Id love for McCarthey to slip to the Swans even though we a have a glutton of forwards. He will probably end up at the Blues I reckon. Lewis Taylor needs to come on down to the Swans!

Ahh right I see. Id love for McCarthey to slip to the Swans even though we a have a glutton of forwards. He will probably end up at the Blues I reckon. Lewis Taylor needs to come on down to the Swans!

I've changed my mind on McCarthy - at first I was hell-bent on us getting a midfielder, but now I'm not so sure given all of his press and what he can offer to us.

I think we should take the second best available KPP in the pool (McCarthy) if he's still there - and then pick up the best available midfielders to bolster our rotations.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum - this is a shallow draft for KPP, therefore take the best you can early on and then load up on midfielders at the later stages.

Pick #13 - McCarthy
Pick #39 - Bourke/Holman
Pick #51 - Cavarra/Jansen etc

Or ... if we adopt the "take the best available" approach:

Pick #13 - Freeman/Salem/Crouch/Lennon (in no particular order)
Pick #39 - Bourke/Holman/Apeness
Pick #51 - Thorp/Conlon

Either way, I'll happily back the recruiting team in.

I've changed my mind on McCarthy - at first I was hell-bent on us getting a midfielder, but now I'm not so sure given all of his press and what he can offer to us.

I think we should take the second best available KPP in the pool (McCarthy) if he's still there - and then pick up the best available midfielders to bolster our rotations.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum - this is a shallow draft for KPP, therefore take the best you can early on and then load up on midfielders at the later stages.

Pick #13 - McCarthy
Pick #39 - Bourke/Holman
Pick #51 - Cavarra/Jansen etc

Or ... if we adopt the "take the best available" approach:

Pick #13 - Freeman/Salem/Crouch/Lennon (in no particular order)
Pick #39 - Bourke/Holman/Apeness
Pick #51 - Thorp/Conlon

Either way, I'll happily back the recruiting team in.

Do you think that the draft is shallow in general or just in KPP? I keep hearing its shallow in general but I see heaps of really promising midfield options available.

According to Callum Twomey Giants are closely looking at Taylor for our pick 14 but still a lot to play out until we hit draft night

Do you think that the draft is shallow in general or just in KPP? I keep hearing its shallow in general but I see heaps of really promising midfield options available.

Carlton's Head Recruiter (Shane Rogers) claims that it isn't deep and after 30 it dries up a bit.

Re: KPP its pretty well known now that there is a lack of quality in this draft.

There has been much talk in the media about this year’s draft being an “even” one, but Carlton’s National Recruitment Manager Shane Rogers says he doesn't necessarily agree.

"The draft this year is no different to other years, except it's probably not as deep,” Rogers said.

"It means we're expecting the top 30 or so players to be of an equally high standard.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-11-11/blues-ready-for-2013-national-draft

According to Callum Twomey Giants are closely looking at Taylor for our pick 14 but still a lot to play out until we hit draft night

Yeah of course. I really hope we get him but it doesnt really seem likely at this stage. I was hearing you guys were keen on Gardiner at 14? Who knows there is always going to be some sliders and risers on the night, We will prob end up with someone who was meant to go in the 4th round with our first pick ala Towers last year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-11/lennon-looms-as-a-steal
Matt Scharenberg, Marcus Bontempelli, Nathan Freeman and Christian Salem are believed to be on Collingwood's draft radar with their two selections (six and 10).

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/19753255/pies-and-lions-fight-for-raw-mccarthy/

Looks like Collingwood are going tall at 6????
To be honest, that article is pretty broad in that it just throws up names.

I am 90% sure if Aish is available at 6, pies snap him up. The club sees him as a future captain. That is how highly he is rated internally.

Bontempelli the other that is rated highly but it is believed bulldogs are getting more likely to take him. It is also believed kk is a lock to suns.

To be honest, that article is pretty broad in that it just throws up names.

I am 90% sure if Aish is available at 6, pies snap him up. The club sees him as a future captain. That is how highly he is rated internally.

Bontempelli the other that is rated highly but it is believed bulldogs are getting more likely to take him. It is also believed kk is a lock to suns.

Mate, I am am amazed he is not going at pick 2 - and if he makes 6 that would wind me up more as it was our pick!!!!
Emma Quade today tweeted McCarthy in line for pick 6/7 and he and Bontempelli will structure the top 10.

does anyone think that Taylor, crouch or Dunstan will slide to pick 22 or 25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reason that many people are worried about Crouch's potential is that they see him topping out as a Priddis-type.
I think Crouch's potential is up to a Michael Barlow type, just needs the fitness.

As you said, he is nothing like Swan.

This is one thing I've noticed watching TAC cup level, quite a few of the inside midfielders are, to be frank, short people. At AFL level, Crouch would be a smallish midfielder, but at TAC cup level, he's actually closer to average/above average. What's more, at TAC cup level, there are a few inside mids with not great inside ability, which makes guys like Crouch stand out. In fact I'd argue that, at least at TAC cup level, while this draft isn't bad for smaller outside types, but it's not great for smaller inside types. Crouch is probably the best Victorian inside midfielder, but that's not saying much. So his performances are inflated by lack of competition, which will definitely change once he hits AFL.

But isn't this just the nature of stepping up from underage footy to AFL? i.e. every player faces the challenge of being able to perform against better opposition in the big league

Jake Owen (i think that's his name) also underrated IMO.

190ish tall, athletic utility without a real position as of yet, so a bit like Marsh or Bontempelli (obviously not on that level), reckon he could be pretty special as another one of those bigger inside mids

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Draft - Risers, Sliders, Shocks, Locks, Who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back